brake controller - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #1

Illinois
brake controller

wondering if anyone has put on a electric controller on their vehicle themself my ford f150 doesnt have one. been told you have to buy controller and then hook up wirers etc. they want to charge me 150 to 200 $ thank you for any kind of feedback

flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #2

its a piece of cake. The hardest thing to do is get power to it and tie it into the brake lights. I helped my son in law put one in his truck. It took us about an hour total time. There is only a couple wires to hook up and the turn signals we captured from the rear . We ran a 7 pole plug and took juice straight from the battery with a fuse in line to feed the rear. The directions are pretty clear as to the hook up.
Oh and the newer vehicles have a place under the dash or most do, that the controller plugs into so you do not have to find all the different connections like lights etc. the adapter is specific to your vehicle though.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #3

Illinois
yeah mine is a 2002 ford f150 I think I just have to hook up wire under dash and hook up controller under dash not sure thou
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

New York
FS: Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

here is a link for one for sale....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
When I put my Prodigy in my 2003 Silverado it was a piece of cake. Pretty much just Plug 'n Play.

Another thing to look for too is that the fuse for charging the trailer battery thru the 7 pin connector is in place. Somtimes they just put a dummy fuse in the fuse box, like in my 2008 Sierra. Had to have the dealer rectify the situation.

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #6

Illinois
thanks alot a good info
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Most brake controllers are available with direct wiring connectors that just plug in to the harness under the dash. Even my 2000 Exped had this plug on its under dash harness.Much less stressful than the old way of "wiring them up" These little pigtails are only about $12-15.00 Check the Prodogy website for application. PS the prodogy is worth the money!
winglessprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #8

Illinois
its official now picked up tt today going to put it in storage ( inclosed ) but not heated !st time doing this any pointers from you guys
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

New York
Hey flying dutchmen are you saying it is the 1st time winterizing or putting it into storage?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #10

Illinois
yes i winterized and i put in storage today (inclosed) we have crazy winters here right outside of chicago. I put bounce sheets throughout camper and toke out cushions
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #11

New York
We also put our TH in storage (an old barn on a farm)....we use the fabric sheets in every conceivable place inside and we also put them in all of the exterior vents and storage areas, and I usually "hang" moth balls, from various area around the TH ie. near the fridge & furnace vents, genny pipe, HW heater, I usually dump some moth balls into old knee highs (or panty hose legs) tie a knot and use a paper clip to hang them). We are fortunate that there are a few cats that live on the farm and we have never had a problem with mice or bugs. I also put damp rid in appropriate containers and place them in the kitchen & bathroom......we have never taken the cushions out of any of our trailers and the the good Lord have not had a problem!

Trust me I know what you mean about snow.....we live in Old Forge NY and have had snow everyday for the past week or so......at least the hunters are appreciating it! Next weekend our snowmobile season will officially open, and out quite little town will be bustling again with tourists!

Let us know how you make out when you pull the TT from storage in the spring!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #12

Montana
Only question I might ask about winterizing is whether you followed a manual? My normal mode is to guess at it, THEN look at a manual. A bit more challenging.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #13

New York
We didn't follow the manual but we have been winterizing TT's for a good number of years.....
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #14

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
We didn't follow the manual but we have been winterizing TT's for a good number of years.....
Sorry, I'm sure you have tons of experience. I'm a newbie to TTs, but have been winterizing my pickup-campers for years. Having said that, I approached my TT with a lot of guesswork. After I finished winterizing, I sat down and read my manual.

I love a good challenge.

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote