Blown Tire Skirting Repair - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Nevada
Blown Tire Skirting Repair

Hi All...Need some help. I had a blow out on our 2013 Infinity 3855FL. The situation was controlled and everyone was safe, but our vacation home took some damage . The passenger side skirting took some damage and we will have to replace. I was wondering where we can order a metal sheet in the dark bronze to replace the damaged skirt around tire. Thanks in advance.....FYI the baby received new tires all around.

Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Hi All...Need some help. I had a blow out on our 2013 Infinity 3855FL. The situation was controlled and everyone was safe, but our vacation home took some damage . The passenger side skirting took some damage and we will have to replace. I was wondering where we can order a metal sheet in the dark bronze to replace the damaged skirt around tire. Thanks in advance.....FYI the baby received new tires all around.
Sorry to hear about your damage. You may try to go to some of the aluminum places. they make seamless gutters out of the same material and color (as mine) as the QUALITY sheeting around the tires... pop rivets help too.

By the way, great decision to change the rest of them. Mine blew two!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

change out tires or you will be repeating blowout damage. I suggest you leave the china bombs on the shelves and buy a higher load rating tire. Some are going to G rated tires. I went to a J rated tire.
As far as the materials, you can go to a dealer who repairs and buy the parts through the parts dept. You will probably pay a little more but ensured getting the right parts that match.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Check with an HVAC shop, they build duct work so the have the means to cut and bend what you might need. They may be able to order the color you need, however, it will be a full sheet but still cheaper than the high priced stuff from the manufacturer.
I paid less than 100 bucks for a 4x9 sheet of the correct thickness white aluminum as opposed to a 12 foot sheet from the manufacturer that was priced 150 bucks, not including freight shipping.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
change out tires or you will be repeating blowout damage. I suggest you leave the china bombs on the shelves and buy a higher load rating tire. Some are going to G rated tires. I went to a J rated tire.
As far as the materials, you can go to a dealer who repairs and buy the parts through the parts dept. You will probably pay a little more but ensured getting the right parts that match.
If you re-read my post we did already change out tires (all of them) problem was we were on the road and the highest series they had were E's that were close to us since we didnt want to take the chance of blowing another. We will take it easy and keep our speeds low when traveling on the new tires. I have been studying all tire ratings and thinking next set at least a G if not a J. Our trailer is 14,200 loaded and with 20% on the hitch we are within the weight of the E series. But, we need to watch our speed since our 3500 tows like there is nothing attached in the bed lol. Thanks for the advice on going through a repair parts dept. Our closest would be Camping World. I am calling tomorrow to find out cost...
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Sorry to hear about your damage. You may try to go to some of the aluminum places. they make seamless gutters out of the same material and color (as mine) as the QUALITY sheeting around the tires... pop rivets help too.

By the way, great decision to change the rest of them. Mine blew two!
Thanks for the kudos lol.... We were on a fishing trip and had my inlaws with us so we didnt want to take any chances. Closest shop only had E's so we will have to take it easy with our speeds until we order the upgrades to G's minimum. Thanks for the idea, never though about that option. I will start searching locally.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Check with an HVAC shop, they build duct work so the have the means to cut and bend what you might need. They may be able to order the color you need, however, it will be a full sheet but still cheaper than the high priced stuff from the manufacturer.
I paid less than 100 bucks for a 4x9 sheet of the correct thickness white aluminum as opposed to a 12 foot sheet from the manufacturer that was priced 150 bucks, not including freight shipping.
Wow never thought about that option. Thanks for the new idea.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #8

Florida
What did you finally do?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote