Best Replacement Tires - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Texas
Best Replacement Tires

2016 3970 Voltage
What options do I have for other trailer tires? I just had my first blowout running the tires it came with. Quite a bit of damage was done to the camper. I was running West Lake ST 235/30 R16. I've read of going up on the wheel size and some are even running LT tires. My tires are 2 years old and have about 5000 miles on them. Let me know your thoughts. TIA.

backcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
jwm

Illinois
I am currently looking at upsizing to 17.5" wheels with 235 75 17.5 Sailun tires. My trailer that I will be picking up tomorrow has the Westlakes on there. Haven't had them before, but had Blowmax tires on my last trailer and had catastrophic failures with those, and my understanding is the Westlakes are prone to the same fate. Otherwise it sounds like many vote for changing the 16" Sailuns if you don't want to upsize. Going to 17.5 can either have 215 75 17.5's (slightly smaller than 235 80 16's but have 4800 lb capacity) or 235 75 17.5's (slightly larger than 235 80 16's but have 6000 lb capacity). I think the Sailun 235 85 16's were 4400 lbs. Make sure to double check the space you have between the current tires.

A tire salesman that cannot get Sailuns had the gall to tell me that a tire blowout with these all steel tires will do a lot more trailer damage to the trailer than the China bombs, but I don't expect to have any!

jwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcracker View Post
2016 3970 Voltage

What options do I have for other trailer tires? I just had my first blowout running the tires it came with. Quite a bit of damage was done to the camper. I was running West Lake ST 235/30 R16. I've read of going up on the wheel size and some are even running LT tires. My tires are 2 years old and have about 5000 miles on them. Let me know your thoughts. TIA.

I had the Westlakes on my Voltage and read about a lot of bad experiences with them. I think they are okay when new but donít hold up well over time and mileage. I didnít want the expense of changing out the wheels in order to go with a bigger tire. After much research I went with Maxxis, they seemed to have the best reviews. Whatever you go with make sure itís an ST type tire and not an LT. The STs have a stronger side wall construction designed for multi axle trailers. The LTs are really for Light Trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:50 AM   #4

i purchased online Continental tires 17.5 in rims with a J rating after 2 blowouts. I have pulled them all over the eastern USA at 75 to 80 mph without a problem.. The blowout tires one set was a well-known name here on this forum. They were crap.
The J rated tires I purchased online was mounted and balanced when they arrived.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

California
If you stay with ST tires take a look at the new GoodYear Endurance. They are made in US.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2015 F150 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #6
RDJ

Washington
I just put the 16" 14ply Sailun tires on last week, I run a lot of 14ply on different trailers, so far not problems with them
RDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
If you stay with ST tires take a look at the new GoodYear Endurance. They are made in US.
I purchased the goodyear endurance and I am quite happy with them. one thing of note, the endurance tires, even though they are the supposed to be the same size as the tires on the trailer, I noticed they are wider, taller, and quite a bit heavier than the china bombs I took off...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Louisiana
I replaced my stock tires with Maxxis M8008 trailer tires 6 months after purchasing my toy hauler. They have been great so far and have held up well.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

Arizona
You have triple axles so you can put on most any LT truck tire you want and not be overloading it. No need to increase the load capacity.. Fully loaded my 3600 has 2650 pounds on each tire. It's the guys with two axles that run into weight issues with LT tires.

I run Michelin XPS RIBS that are a commercial truck tire and rated to be on trailers. They should work great on your trailer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #10

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcracker View Post
2016 3970 Voltage
You can use LT tires as long as they are rated correctly. Most trailer tires are only rated for 65mph and then add road heat to the equation and "boom". Also tire pressure is crucial. I have been considering a TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote