Akuret tires no good? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #1

California
Akuret tires no good?

After reading numerous posts, I'm more confused than ever about these tires. They rode all the way from Indiana where the Voltage 3950 was built to Riverside, CA, and didn't blow out. They look solid. There are no cracks, bulges, pimples, dimples, or anything else that looks like it shouldn't be there.

So I'm wondering, what should I do with them? Are they going to disintegrate on me or not? Blow out when I'm not expecting it? Should I replace them immediately because someone else has had issues with them?

I don't want to put anyone in danger.

Is it possible these tires will last me a few thousand miles? They already have a couple of thousand on them from the trip Indiana to California.

Anyway, if anyone knows about these Akuret tires, I'm listening.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
After reading numerous posts, I'm more confused than ever about these tires. They rode all the way from Indiana where the Voltage 3950 was built to Riverside, CA, and didn't blow out. They look solid. There are no cracks, bulges, pimples, dimples, or anything else that looks like it shouldn't be there.

So I'm wondering, what should I do with them? Are they going to disintegrate on me or not? Blow out when I'm not expecting it? Should I replace them immediately because someone else has had issues with them?

Is it possible these tires will last me a few thousand miles? They already have a couple of thousand on them from the trip Indiana to California.

The number one killer of tires is neglect.

That said I have no faith in Chinese tires. Now you will get into the debate of ST vs LT.

In my case there is not much to choose from when it comes to LTs, so far I have found two Load Range G tires the would meet the GVWR and give me a little buffer.

The only North American made ST tires that I can find now are bias ply. So do you trade off the advantages of NA bias ply tires vs off shore radials.

Welcome to the great debate.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

California
Quote:

Tom
Get rid of those tires as soon as you can.
Yes they did make it a couple thousand miles from the factory to California. Now they are pretty much done. Mine lasted another thousand miles and started coming apart on the sidewall (two tires). I am picking up my Maxxis replacements today. They are still not made here, but I ran them on my old trailer with no problems for years. (40 ft toyhauler)
I hate to have tire problems ever.You would think Dutchmen would use name brand good tires from the factory. Read the other forums and the opinion is the same about Akuret tires.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

I had Akuret tires. They seemed to be doing quite well until one blew in a rainstorm coming home from Virginia. Of course it took out some of the fender as well not to mention the rim was damaged because the entire tread casing half way down the sidewalls separated. Just like a knife cut them the entire way around. When I took off the tires to replace them with Maxxis I found another with a large bubble on the inside sidewall. I am sure it was not far from exploding.
As stated in the thread they seem to perform well then the sidewalls let loose.

On another note I contacted Akuret who sent me to Lionshead who handled the warranty claims for Akuret. For a week the claims woman/girl would not return my telephone calls. I had to call her boss to get a return call so I know where this claim is headed. South real fast. I really dont expect much from them.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #5

California
Now I'm really not sure what to think about these tires, but the weight of experience is trending against them.

So you guys say Maxxis is the way to go?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #6

California
One of the big haulers on the lot had six new National LTR Commando LT235/85R16s on it. Tires were stamped "made in the usa".

Isn't LTR for light truck? I guess there's a raging debate as whether or not to use these on a trailer, as they should be ST not LT. In any case, trying to find something that would work when the time comes to replace.

The Akuret tires on my rig are rated to carry 3,520 pounds at 80 psi. They look excellent at the moment. We'll see what happens on our first trip.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Quebec
I don't have any experience with Akuret tires specifically, but I have used various Chinese made tires and have read mountains of comments here and elsewhere about problems with trailer tires. When I replace my tires (currently 'Triangle' brand) I will use Maxxis based on everything I have heard. In the meantime, if you want to get some use out of your Akurets, be sure to keep them at the rated PSI (usually 80) and check them when you stop to ensure they are not overheating. Good luck!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Oklahoma
I think the life of the tire is something to wait on based on all the horror stories that abound on the forums about the Chinese bombs.

I've rolled mine from Colorado to Arizona, from Arzona to Oklahoma, back up to Colorado and then back to Oklahoma, from Oklahoma to Kentucky and will soon be leaving for Oklahoma again.

That's a few miles without a tire problem. I do have however, a wheel with a pin hole in it. Instead of playing the losing warranty game with the dealer and the adjuster I just put a tube on that wheel. Because of having the tube in one wheel I make sure I check pressures before I hit the road again. I've maintained them at 80 psi and look them over occasionally.
I do have to admit I've already priced 6 Michelins for the rig and the first Chinese tire that farts all will be replaced and disposed of by deadly means.
One can't trust a product that has so much negative press about it. So, it's a waiting game that doesn't have a favorable outcome for us.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

Sadly,,,, when it farts its going to blow our your wheel well like a gigantic Fart and you like me wished I had changed mine a little earlier.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #10

British Columbia
Our 261bhs came with Westlake tires. I don't think they are a good tire from what I have read. The whole weight of a TT are sitting on those 4 pieces of rubber. What I don't understand is of the thousands of TT that are made here in North America there are no companies based here that can produce good RV tires. I know RV companies try to cut corners but I would gladly pay the extra dollars for a good tire. There is enough to worry about on the road without thinking your going to blow a tire.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Quebec
X2 !
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Our 261bhs came with Westlake tires. I don't think they are a good tire from what I have read. The whole weight of a TT are sitting on those 4 pieces of rubber. What I don't understand is of the thousands of TT that are made here in North America there are no companies based here that can produce good RV tires. I know RV companies try to cut corners but I would gladly pay the extra dollars for a good tire. There is enough to worry about on the road without thinking your going to blow a tire.
There used to be several North American made RV tires to choose from. One was the Goodyear Marathon, which is now made in China. I used to buy nothing but Goodyear tires since I got my first car.

Goodyear had engineered the marathon to blow out the side wall when the tire failed, so it wouldn't tear out the wheel well. That was one of the main reasons that so many Airstreamers were using Marathons. Now it's just another made in China tire.

It's the North American business model, move production off shore and keep prices the same or raise them.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #13

California
I have installed my new Maxxis tires on my trailer. I kept the orginal six Akuret tires. I can't believe the difference on the sidewall of the two tire brands. The Akuret tire is like a kid's balloon on the sidewall thickness. I'm so glad I got these tires off my trailer for good. I will sleep better now .

P.S. For Sale
Six almost brand new Akuret Trailer Tires. Tread is like brand new. (Just don't measure the sidewalls!)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I have installed my new Maxxis tires on my trailer. I kept the orginal six Akuret tires. I can't believe the difference on the sidewall of the two tire brands. The Akuret tire is like a kid's balloon on the sidewall thickness. I'm so glad I got these tires off my trailer for good. I will sleep better now .

P.S. For Sale
Six almost brand new Akuret Trailer Tires. Tread is like brand new. (Just don't measure the sidewalls!)
I wonder if there are differences among Akuret tires. Mine appear to be very stout, but I don't have any way of comparing them to another tire. Maybe I'll look into the Maxxis tires. Can you share the tire details of what you purchased?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Colorado
I happen to think the biggest factor leading to tire failure, regardless of brand, is overloading or too much speed. And Dutchmen does not help that out with their own posted numbers.

Let's take my trailer, a 3640RL 5er. Dutchmen's posted weight is 12,345 with 3156 cargo capacity for a potential GVW of 15,501. Now the axles are each rated at 7,000. Hmmm, that is 14,000. Does not add up. Tires, and let's use the Maxxis for numbers, are rated for 3420 each at max inflation for the size tire on my trailer which adds up to 13,680. Again, does not add up.

Perhaps the largest precaution you can take with tires is to know the loaded weight of the trailer (take it to a scale) and watch your speed.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I happen to think the biggest factor leading to tire failure, regardless of brand, is overloading or too much speed. And Dutchmen does not help that out with their own posted numbers.

Let's take my trailer, a 3640RL 5er. Dutchmen's posted weight is 12,345 with 3156 cargo capacity for a potential GVW of 15,501. Now the axles are each rated at 7,000. Hmmm, that is 14,000. Does not add up. Tires, and let's use the Maxxis for numbers, are rated for 3420 each at max inflation for the size tire on my trailer which adds up to 13,680. Again, does not add up.

Perhaps the largest precaution you can take with tires is to know the loaded weight of the trailer (take it to a scale) and watch your speed.
Remember to subtract the pin weight, which is being carried by the truck. Then things start to add up. Try it. For example, let's say your pin weight is 3,000 pounds. That's 3K that's NOT being supported by your axles. Subtract that weight from what the axles are carrying. Now things start to look better, eh?

Not Canadian, eh.

People who underinflate, ignore, or abuse their tires are asking for trouble. All the weighing in the world won't fix neglect, eh?

Eh! Ole!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #17

California
Wink

Quote:
I wonder if there are differences among Akuret tires. Mine appear to be very stout, but I don't have any way of comparing them to another tire. Maybe I'll look into the Maxxis tires. Can you share the tire details of what you purchased?

I thought the same thing when I looked at my Akuret tires. Wait until you see them off the rim, you will change your mind.
I'm pretty sure Dutchmen uses the same tire on all of there Voltage products. They buy them by bulk. (I'm sure very cheap)

I purchased my Maxxis tires from onlinetires.com. The size is 235/80-16. They are load range E. Radial TRL M8008 tire.
They cost $138.59 X six.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Remember to subtract the pin weight, which is being carried by the truck. Then things start to add up.
You are correct, I did overlook that. However, taking that pin weight off leaves me at 13285. That is just 400 under the max or 100 per tire.

What is that adage? Closeness only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades? Tires too should be added to that in my opinion. I want the largest margin of error I can get.

I will still stand by getting it weighed and watching your speed regardless of brand to prolong the life of the tire and help the safety margin.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
You are correct, I did overlook that. However, taking that pin weight off leaves me at 13285. That is just 400 under the max or 100 per tire.

What is that adage? Closeness only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades? Tires too should be added to that in my opinion. I want the largest margin of error I can get.

I will still stand by getting it weighed and watching your speed regardless of brand to prolong the life of the tire and help the safety margin.
Just something else along those lines, what is your 2008 Ford f250 rated at for towing? It must be pretty close to max also.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
Just something else along those lines, what is your 2008 Ford f250 rated at for towing? It must be pretty close to max also.
Actually, not really . The truck has a gross cargo weight rating of 23000. And the pin weight is well within the trucks (and rear axles) GVWR and GAWR per Ford. The tires I run are rated for more than the axle is rated for. I am comfortable with the truck, I just find the trailer tires to be somewhat marginal in the calculations.