3 year coverage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Florida
3 year coverage

My RV has had a spongy soft spot on the floor in the bedroom for quite some time. I attempted to get them to fix it last year but no one would cover it under any type of warranty and CW wanted an enormous amount of $$ to fix it so I left it alone.

I noticed that Dutchmen is claiming a 3 year structural warranty now so I sent them an email and probably will follow up with a phone call sometime this week. Will be interesting to see what they say or if they ignore me.

PS... when I first tried to get them to fix it, the RV was JUST out of their one year warranty period and they denied it (yes, still have that paperwork). My extended warranty said they don't cover carpet or floors, or walls...

Bu the way, it's not from water damage and the floor is solid when I tap on it.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

Wyoming
It's not along a wall, is it? Sounds as though it has similarities to my slide out floor. The floor itself solid as a rock, but...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
It's not along a wall, is it? Sounds as though it has similarities to my slide out floor. The floor itself solid as a rock, but...

Goes between the bathroom wall even with the toilet and the edge of the bed (when extended).

When CW and General RV checked it out, they mentioned that it was the floor itself (some sort of cellular product) but when you rap on it, it seems rock solid! I think the distance between the floor truss is too much or it is along an edge of plywood that was not fastened down properly and not overlapping enough on the truss to provide support and it's starting to slip down.

maybe i'm not explaining it right... but.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
...maybe i'm not explaining it right... but.
No, I got the picture. I've got a similar spot in my bedroom. Thankfully, its very small... and it's on the far side of the room, and a place I only need to step on when changing the sheets. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a place where the bracing underneath is just spaced a tad further apart than the others.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Florida
Well, I got a response. It's in two parts.

Part 1.

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I’m sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing with your Laredo. At the time your camper was manufactured, we did not have the 3 year structural warranty in place, although that 3 year period has passed anyway since you purchased in January, 2016. I would recommend consulting a local dealer to have them inspect the concern and advise what repairs are needed. You can consult your extended warranty company (if you purchased one) or your insurance company for advice as well. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you,

Part 2:

Thank you for your response. Let me give you a couple of facts.

1. The RV was purchased in January but we did not take delivery until March.
2. In March of the following year, we attempted to have Camping World address the issue when they were attempting to repair the living room slide which failed from factory installation issues.
3. We submitted the correct paperwork to Keystone but were told that the coach was out of warranty at that time so your comment about the three year period is well taken but this issue was brought up to your company within the three years.

The insurance company indicated that they would not cover this until it failed. I have an additional question concerning how the RV is assembled and where the studs for floor support would be located and if we have anyone check this and find it is truly a manufacturer defect, could I bring this up as a safety issue and see if the certifying organization would issue a recall due to issues.

I would look forward to hearing from you.

The answer:

Thank you for the additional information. Although you may not have taken possession of the unit in January, that is when the dealer registered the sale, hence the January 15 warranty expiration date.
The dealer did not share the floor concern or the slideout concern with Keystone in March, 2018, so I do not know what their findings were.
Our records indicate that we reviewed the floor concern in September, 2018, but no defect was presented and the warranty had expired.
Regarding the location of the studs, I do not have construction schematics that I can send you so I would recommend consulting your dealer who can physically inspect the areas and answer your questions.

Usual Keystone/Dutchmen answers ... what? wasn't me!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

Arizona
Hello
Well sorry to say but the 1 or 3 year warranty is not even worth the paper it is written on, I have had personal experience with it but finally got paid for the repair when I proved their work was sub standard. As far as getting results you may want to contact, "trailer life or trailer magazine" something like that, another member may know the exact name but they will review you complaint and if they see/agree with your issue will contact the manufacture for resolve. If it is not addressed they will them publish it and let the world know of the poor service you are receiving, sorry to say though most of the world already knows of the poor warranty service that Keystone supplies. Good luck
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

Illinois
I second the suggestion for Trailer Life to get involved. If as you say this is not water damage, and the subfloor is solid, then they may be able to kick some Turkeys and get you help.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
My RV has had a spongy soft spot on the floor in the bedroom for quite some time. I attempted to get them to fix it last year but no one would cover it under any type of warranty and CW wanted an enormous amount of $$ to fix it so I left it alone.

I noticed that Dutchmen is claiming a 3 year structural warranty now so I sent them an email and probably will follow up with a phone call sometime this week. Will be interesting to see what they say or if they ignore me.

PS... when I first tried to get them to fix it, the RV was JUST out of their one year warranty period and they denied it (yes, still have that paperwork). My extended warranty said they don't cover carpet or floors, or walls...

Bu the way, it's not from water damage and the floor is solid when I tap on it.
I read all of the answers you received. I’m 99% sure it’s a seam issue. That’s what was found on my Denali. In their WELL engineered and quality departments they just throw down the flooring and if the seams miss the floor joists so what let the dumb people that still buy their junk they ignore issues. LEMON LAWS will solve this crap.
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesullivansr@gmail.com View Post
I read all of the answers you received. I’m 99% sure it’s a seam issue. That’s what was found on my Denali. In their WELL engineered and quality departments they just throw down the flooring and if the seams miss the floor joists so what let the dumb people that still buy their junk they ignore issues. LEMON LAWS will solve this crap.
I'm leaning towards the seam also. Probably going to drill a small hole to drop a camera down there.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #10

Illinois
I believe the proper repair would be to drop the belly pan and bridge the seam with a block of wood, screwed and glued, with the screws coming from above. Knowing how mine is though, the flooring is laid before any walls are put up, so pulling the flooring up to screw through will be a PITA and can be worse than the loose seam.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #11

Florida
The quote I first got was 12k (yep, 12,000 $$) from Camping world to fix the floor. WHen I asked them why so much, they said they would need to pull the slide, take everything OUT of the bedroom then replace the floor. They blamed it on the type of floor that was used, some type of cellular product that is known to fail.

I asked why they could not resupport the floor while they had the belly dropped to replace the black and Gray tank valves and all i got was a blank stare.