242RESL tires don't track and wobble - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #1

Saskatchewan
242RESL tires don't track and wobble

There have been many posts on here since I started several months ago about tires on their trailer not tracking. I have watched mine many times and wondered about taking my trailer into the dealer to have them looked at. Today while hauling items out to the trailer I noticed that the dust cover was not in place on one of my tires. I jacked the trailer up and removed the front tire. What I found was a poorly installed bearing and seal set. The crown nut needed several turns to get it into the proper place. I added some grease and decided to check the other tires. Two of the remaining three tires also needed tightening and the last one was so tight that the tire would not freely spin when up on the jack - yikes! My dad was a diesel mechanic and he would have twisted my ear if I had installed these bearings and hubs. He was very particular when it came to proper maintenance and taught all us boys on how to do it properly. We'll have the trailer out soon so will be able to see if things are better back there.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
Lost Dust Cap Again

Well today is August 16th and I am just back from a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. While on this trip I discovered that once again one of my dust covers (different one from first time) came off again. I know it was properly installed as I did it before leaving. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? I will try to get it over to our Dutchmen dealer next week, but am hoping one of my fellow Dutchmen owners might have a clue for me?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Well today is August 16th and I am just back from a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. While on this trip I discovered that once again one of my dust covers (different one from first time) came off again. I know it was properly installed as I did it before leaving. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? I will try to get it over to our Dutchmen dealer next week, but am hoping one of my fellow Dutchmen owners might have a clue for me?
I have the same problem on my utility trailer. Cheap dust caps made in China. I bought a set that were made in the USA and haven't lost one since.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Now that we're home I think I'll do the same thing. Read on the Internet that others used the Bearing Buddies because of their stiffness but didn't use the grease zirk on them.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Pull those dust covers off the hubs, place them on a block of wood and on the inside, punch a few dimples around the circumference of the covers. Don't use an overly sharp punch or hit so hard as to deform the cover.
That'll make then fit tighter in the hubs and won't cost anything.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
Thank you Sundancer for your reply. Hadn't thought of doing that but have been doing a lot of thinking about it. The last time I tapped the cover back into place it wouldn't seat properly - almost like the cap was not long enough to accommodate the grease zirk (even though it's only a rubber plug at the end). I'm going to pull the dust caps off again and take some measurements. My feeling is that they've installed the wrong covers for these hubs. Having been away from home for over two weeks now has given me a "to do" list that is quite lengthy. This may have to wait a day or two.