Water leaking inside ceiling. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Alberta
Water leaking inside ceiling.

I have a 2014 voltage 3970, and early this morning my daughter woke me up to inform me that there's water dripping on her in the living room. When I went to investigate it appears that we have some condensation issues coming from the air conditioner. At least that's what I think it is because I'm not sure where else water would be coming from up there. After I shut the AC off, it stopped dripping quite so fast and within an hour stopped completely. What do I need to do to make sure this is not going to be an ongoing problem? Obviously I have drain tube clogged or something up there but wanted to get some direction from the members who have more experience with this kind of thing. What advice do you have for me in this regard. Is my insulation and ceiling boards wet to the point of being permanently damaged? If you look on the one photo you can see where the drip is coming off the wood trim piece right beside the light. It should be noted that the air conditioner has been running continuously for at least 36 hours so that may have had a part to play. Thanks for any input or suggestions.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_095739.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	5718Click image for larger version

Name:	20190805_095905.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5719

sparky1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #2

South Carolina
Well, as you are probably aware the normal flow of water from the AIR Conditioner is on the roof to the drains just like rain water.

My guess is that your unit froze up and created ice internally and then the ice melted.

From the interweb:

"If your air conditioner is low on refrigerant, then your air conditioner can freeze up. This is due to lower pressure inside the system itself. ... As your air conditioner's evaporator coil drops below freezing, the moisture in your air will freeze as it comes into contact with your coil causing it to ice up"

But lets see what the experts say.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Florida
When we bought or Voltage we went with new low profile a/c units and 3rd time out our rear a/c was leaking water turned out to be seal under unit improperly installed by camping world we had both units pulled and new gaskets installed under warranty that solved that issue for us. All our best central FLA
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #4

California
Roof leak

We have a 2015 3990. This same thing happened to us. Problem was the factory tightened the bolts to tight from the top. This caused the ac unit to lose its seal. We had to remove the bolts, remove the ac pt a mixture of wood and epoxy in the holes then reseal everything. Not one leak since. Make sure the epoxy starts to set before you run the lag bolts back in.
USN2FAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:25 AM   #5

Arizona
Get up on the roof, take off the A/C cover, and pull the 4 lag bolts holding the unit to the roof. Doing this you'll be able to move the unit and inspect the seal, which most likely is your problem. The water is supposed to drain onto the roof, not inside the trailer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

Maryland
Ok FIRST! Let’s keep it simple and do things in a proper diagnostic order here. Take the plastic cover off the a/c on the roof. There are removable end and side panels covering the evaporator coil. Remove the end cover and both side covers. Once these are removed you will be able to lift the evaporator coil enough to verify the drain holes are not clogged with debris. Do not try to lift the coil very high just an inch or two as you can damage the lines. I just had to clear mine on my Coleman Mach series A/C units last week. This is not a difficult job and does not require removing the unit from the roof, or unbolting it. I had mine off to replace the roof so I also flushed out the evaporator coil at the same time. I do not recommend flushing out the evaporator with the unit mounted in place as you will probably flood your trailer.
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Keep it simple???
You ain't seen nuthin yet!

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote