Upgrading AC in two ways - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #1

Illinois
Upgrading AC in two ways

I currently have what appears to be an Advent 13.5K AC with ducted vent cover. I am looking at maybe a Coleman Mach 8 Plus, but confused on what I am finding, and not sure it will even convert.

Quote:
**If switching brands, or for first time installations, this AC requires a ceiling assembly that is purchased separately. You can view available ceiling assemblies

Not sure what this is, and the inside covers have controls, none say for ducted either, and the ducted one is a blank grill.

Has anyone installed a Mach 8 in place of an Advent. Reason I am looking at the Coleman besides the fact it would go on a Coleman trailer, is that it is under 9" in height, so I wouldnt have to remove the cover every year to store the trailer.

I would like to install something that I can remove and put the old one back in when I sell so I can use the 15K in our next trailer.

thoughts?

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I currently have what appears to be an Advent 13.5K AC with ducted vent cover. I am looking at maybe a Coleman Mach 8 Plus, but confused on what I am finding, and not sure it will even convert.

Not sure what this is, and the inside covers have controls, none say for ducted either, and the ducted one is a blank grill.

Has anyone installed a Mach 8 in place of an Advent. Reason I am looking at the Coleman besides the fact it would go on a Coleman trailer, is that it is under 9" in height, so I wouldnt have to remove the cover every year to store the trailer.

I would like to install something that I can remove and put the old one back in when I sell so I can use the 15K in our next trailer.

thoughts?

If the ceiling grill doesn't have fan switches and the temperature control it is more than likely it's a ducted system and is controlled by a wall mounted thermostat.

If you have a non-ducted air conditioner and want to change brands you'll most likely need the matching ceiling grill. I say this because each manufacturer will make theirs a little different from the others.

The majority of them sit on a 14 inch hole so that's not a problem. If the gasket isn't included you'll want to get a new one.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #3

Illinois
Mine is ducted and has the wall mount tstat, which is why I posted. The unit I was looking at didn't show a grill like what I have where it has slots to open and close for fast cooling, and to direct through the ducts.

The part I'm held up on is the part I quoted where it said a mount is required, but when I click the link it just has a list of other parts and I don't know what to look for.

The Dometic unit is pretty straight forward in the listing of part, but stands taller than the Coleman. I will go out and measure the unit I have without the cover on to see if it is taller than the Dometic. I have to remove the cover to get it in my barn for winter storage and would rather not have to do that if I can. Since I want more cooling, now's the time to do it.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

Illinois
One of the complaints I have with my Advent is that there isn't much airflow towards the front of the trailer.

Well, now I know why. the foam insulation they put on that is self stick, ain't stuck. I took the grill off to see how it all looks and found that the ducts and 80% blocked. Going to cut away the part they attempted to fold into the duct opening and see if the front cools any better than it did, if so, then I will put up with having to remove the cover off the unit every year to store and save a grand.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:00 AM   #5

Texas
Check your duct sealing.

Another thing to look check. Previous post on a similar problem was to check where the ducts entered into the unit case and at the each vent. Previous people found little sealing and saw dust in the system. I have a 2012 Denali and the front did not cool well. I removed the grille on the inside and found the sealant tape (Aluminum Duct Tape) to the duct, was hardened,cracked and peeling. I removed all the old and re-taped. I found the same thing on every vent. I also found in the return air side where the wiring came in was a 2 inch hole and a piece of romex coming through. In other words hot air from the attic was being pulled in there and cold air was entering the attic elsewhere. A little foam sealant and a roll of Aluminum Duct Tape and I now have cooling all over and the front is getting air. I also changed the fixed vents with adjustable ones and can now balance the air flow. Made all the difference in the world. We were thinking of adding a unit for the front. Not necessary now. Holds up to Texas heat.
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

Illinois
Yep, I found out why I got little airflow to the front vents. They use foam tape in the opening, and sliced it to fold into the ducts, well it didn't stick so it popped up and was blocking 80% of the airflow. Instead of a new AC, I am going to redo the installation minis removing the roof unit and see if it helps it cool down better in the front. The rear didn't have too much of an issue, but the airflow was not as expected there either.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Illinois
OK, Finally got around to getting the trailer out of my barn and get some work done on it. I opened the ducts by cutting away that tacky foam that was installed, put the grill on, and fired it up. There was sawdust shooting out the front vent!
Now the unit should cool better. Will see when we go camping, but looks promising.