Smoking AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Kentucky
Smoking AC

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on my AC problem. Yesterday while prepping my trailer for a trip to Sturges SD I had the Gen set running and both AC's on, when I turned of the Front AC (heat pump) it started hurling white smoke so bad I could not see across the coach. What I thought was smoke had no smell and appeared more like a vapor than smoke. I believe that it was Freon and perhaps a hose let go. It appeared the vapor was coming out through the intake side of the unit. I have a second AC that is totally out of sight from the inside of the coach. I just purchased this 3950 and every time I start the AC's dirt and or particles of sand go out all over the bed as the one unit is over the top of the bed. Same with the rear unit in the garage. Has anyone had this experience?

JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Oklahoma
If the A/C won't get cold again you can probably be correct about the refrigerant escaping from somewhere.

Regarding the debris from the other A/C, most all of us have experienced this. It eventually gets worked out of the system or you can try and vacuum it out.

I'm guessing the A/C that is out of sight is the ducted system which will most probably need to be pulled from the roof to be cleaned and properly tape and seal the duct work. There is a large thread here outlining the procedure for the taping and sealing the duct work.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

Illinois
JohnnyB,
Sorry to hear about your AC. Can't speak about your potential refrigerant leak, however after almost 5 months, I still get occasional debris from my unit. I'll be in Sturgis starting this Wednesday thru the end of the rally. Staying at Katmandu Campground. Stop by for a "soda". Where are you staying.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote