Running RV Air at home - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #21

Wisconsin
Surge protectors and Generators are interesting subjects. However, they are not the question in this thread.
Can you run a TT air conditioner on a 20 amp home circuit is the question. The answer is yes. Will it hurt your air conditioner? The answer is no.
The definitive way to test these answers is to buy a $10 digital volt meter at your local hardware store and insert the probes into any outlet in the TT. Monitor the voltage and turn on the air conditioner. If the voltage stays above 110 volts everything is fine. If below 110 volts, consult the manufacturers specifications for the appliance. In this case it was reported as 103 volts.
The same method can be used for any combination of appliances and to test campground voltage supplies and different power cord combinations.
Generators are built to different standards than utility companies. Generally they will not sustain more than 70% of their rated capacity. They can only sustain maximum rated capacity for brief times such as starting an air conditioner motor. Generator circuit breakers will enforce the limits by tripping.
The above method is a lot cheaper and simpler than installing a 30 or 50 amp outlet for use at home.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #22

Florida
you should be a moderator

However, they are not the question in this thread.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #23

Wisconsin
You are correct. You should be the moderator!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #24

Florida
**shakes head side to side**
Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #25

Arizona
So to follow through on the AC at home thread....since I don't know the breaker rating of the exterior outlet nearest the RV...is it still safe to plug in the AC line? Will an overload throw the house breaker first before the AC in the trailer smokes?
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #26

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
As far as the minimum voltage, my Progressive Industries surge protector cuts out at 108V, so I would assume this is low end the safe zone. Yours will not cut out if you go below that unless you have some sort of aftermarket protection. Going too low can have a damaging effect on your AC unit.
Bought a Progressive Surge Protector. Watching it work as we speak. The cutoff voltage feature is very cool.

I'm a happy camper,
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #27

Florida
just in case you wanted to turn on a light while the ac is running...

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfiles...scentbulbs.pdf

LED definitely has it's advantages.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #28

South Carolina
Thanks for that.
Our camper came with all LEDs.
Except for one light at the utilities. Guess they could not find a waterproof fixture ughhhh!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #29

Arizona
Going for my EE, they talked about how well the power company handled 60 HZ ( 60 seconds on the clock) but the voltage would vary a few volts,, I am sure you are fine with the 20 AMP ckt . I would suggest putting in a battery cutoff switch to prevent over charging, I got lazy this year and boiled out my batteries by not checking.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #30

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2481 View Post
Going for my EE, they talked about how well the power company handled 60 HZ ( 60 seconds on the clock) but the voltage would vary a few volts,, I am sure you are fine with the 20 AMP ckt . I would suggest putting in a battery cutoff switch to prevent over charging, I got lazy this year and boiled out my batteries by not checking.
Good luck in your studies!
Our trailer has what is supposedly a "smart charger ". Has different stages of charge depending on battery condition.
With a trickle charge for maintenance. Hopefully that will be SMART enough haha
Old 09-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #31

Arizona
LOL,, going for EE was 1981, Just retired after 35 years working for a defense contractor,, then they called back cuz the kids today, and paying me more money than ever to sit for 24 hours a week and babysit. LOL<< I would love to go back to the 70's and 80's, some of the best times.. enjoy.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #32

South Carolina
Quote:
LOL,, going for EE was 1981, Just retired after 35 years working for a defense contractor,, then they called back cuz the kids today, and paying me more money than ever to sit for 24 hours a week and babysit. LOL<< I would love to go back to the 70's and 80's, some of the best times.. enjoy.
Oops saw a period instead of comma.
Thanks for the info either way,
Have FUN
Old 09-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #33
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Sounds like you may have an older style converter? Or one that doesn't work properly. If you have a WFCO converter they have issues with going to float charge and will overcharge batteries. Easiest way is to upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics converter of a similar size.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote