Norcold Regrigerator Reset - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #1

Nebraska
Norcold Regrigerator Reset

Anyone able to help out....our Norcold Refrigerator quit working...2016 unit. Dealer said that we must have run the fridge out of level and needs to be reset but that they could not tell us how to do it, but we must take it to the dealer, (65 miles one way) to get this done...Kind of an expensive trip just to reset the refrigerator.

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Anyone able to help out....our Norcold Refrigerator quit working...2016 unit. Dealer said that we must have run the fridge out of level and needs to be reset but that they could not tell us how to do it, but we must take it to the dealer, (65 miles one way) to get this done...Kind of an expensive trip just to reset the refrigerator.
Do you have the manual for you fridge?

There should be a reset procedure in the troubleshooting section. I you don't have one, you can download it from the Norcold website.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
First, what were the circumstances that caused the refrigerator to stop working? It would have had to be very out of level for a long time to stop working, I've never seen a 'tilt' switch in them.
Second, does it not work in only one mode or both?

The more information we have the better we'll be able to help.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

Florida
Norcold Regrigerator Reset

Another important question would be what's a regrigerator?

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #5

Nebraska
ok ok, so you never have heavy fingers....refrigerator....The camper sat for about a month in my sons drive...plugged in and running. They went out to check on it and the REFRIGERATOR was not working. Wouldn't work on electric or propane. Manuals don't cover resetting in regards to being unlevel. Dealer fixed it in minutes but would not share the info with my son. This is a just in case scenario as he won't run the unit out of level again....however........
Old 10-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
ok ok, so you never have heavy fingers....refrigerator....The camper sat for about a month in my sons drive...plugged in and running. They went out to check on it and the REFRIGERATOR was not working. Wouldn't work on electric or propane. Manuals don't cover resetting in regards to being unlevel. Dealer fixed it in minutes but would not share the info with my son. This is a just in case scenario as he won't run the unit out of level again....however........
It could be the over heat sensor activated, if it did the refrigerator wouldn't work in either mode. The question is, was the RV level or drastically tilted fore and aft?
Another question, did you have heavy rains or did someone hose down the RV, perhaps spraying water into the refrigerator compartment.
The older Norcolds had a recall and were fitted with a heat sensor that detected extreme heat in the exhaust tube. The sensor would trip and some of them could be reset using a strong magnet passed over the sensor component box. The sensor would also trip if it managed to get water inside of it, it is basically open to water from rain or garden hoses. Some sensors wouldn't reset with the magnet so they were replaced with revised components and those were more sensitive to the magnet and were relocated further away from water entry.
Perhaps the dealer did the magnet trick, no way to tell since they won't share.
The sensor component box is a black box with a few wires running in and out of it. It may be screwed to the back wall of the refrigerator enclosure or it may be the kind that has a clip on it where it snaps onto one the the tubes on the cooling unit.
It might even have a reset button, maybe the latest version of Norcold's attempt to CYA.
Take a look in there and familiarize yourself with that side of the refrigerator, perhaps it will save some down time and a dealer visit.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #7

Nebraska
thanks...will check that out tomorrow.....really do appreciate the help
Old 10-09-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
It's not heavy fingers it's that stupid spell check thing.

I forgot about that magnetic switch thing, that Sundancer mentioned, but he nailed it, all the fixes, recalls, etc, Norcold has had it's fair share of problems.

Had a look at mine this afternoon and I've got one of the push botton reset boxes. Most likely a mag switch in sheeps clothing.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
It's not heavy fingers it's that stupid spell check thing.

I forgot about that magnetic switch thing, that Sundancer mentioned, but he nailed it, all the fixes, recalls, etc, Norcold has had it's fair share of problems.

Had a look at mine this afternoon and I've got one of the push botton reset boxes. Most likely a mag switch in sheeps clothing.
I'm glad to know there is an actual reset button now. I think they may have used a type of relay that locks the contacts closed until another signal is sent to unlock them. These are called latching relays. The over heat sensor sends the signal to activate the relay and shut down the system. All one has to do now is just push the reset button, just like the reset button on power tools and motors and such.
Still though, the unsuspecting owner may drag to the dealer and have the reset done. Imagine being out of warranty or having to wait a few weeks to get in the shop because you didn't buy your crap there.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'm glad to know there is an actual reset button now. I think they may have used a type of relay that locks the contacts closed until another signal is sent to unlock them. These are called latching relays. The over heat sensor sends the signal to activate the relay and shut down the system. All one has to do now is just push the reset button, just like the reset button on power tools and motors and such.
Still though, the unsuspecting owner may drag to the dealer and have the reset done. Imagine being out of warranty or having to wait a few weeks to get in the shop because you didn't buy your crap there.
You have to remember that my camper is full of 10 year old technology. Seems new and improved just means more complicated, so you can't fix stuff yourself.

Probably one of those liability things, like exploding airbag inflators. By law the dealer can not disable, nor tell you how to disable the airbags. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of dragging the brick around Alaska with a "stick of dynamtie" in the steering wheel. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
You have to remember that my camper is full of 10 year old technology. Seems new and improved just means more complicated, so you can't fix stuff yourself.

Probably one of those liability things, like exploding airbag inflators. By law the dealer can not disable, nor tell you how to disable the airbags. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of dragging the brick around Alaska with a "stick of dynamtie" in the steering wheel. Where there's a will, there's a way.
That's right Jim, dealer won't tell us how to reset a refrigerator but they'll put us in a rig with a refrigerator that has the potential to catch fire and kill us. They won't be liable for the refrigerator, just telling an owner how to reset it.
How about just repairing the damn problem without recall after recall and stand behind the product? I know, it's the odds they play with us.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Hi, I have a Norcold 1210 frig. I have had issues with it not cooling properly since it was new "2015". I finally had it replaced about eight months ago. It was working fine until last week, now it is not cooling at all. The two X two control box in the back has a red indicator light on it that is not lit. Got any ideas on what might be wrong.. Thanks Jim
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
https://www.arprv.com/no-co-norcold.php

this one is kinda funny!

google is your friend!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote