Norcold Refer Fail - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
RDJ

Washington
Norcold Refer Fail

Bought our Voltage in October of 17 probably have used it a total of 120 days, this last December took it out of our building to get ready for the Arizona winter and the refrigerator would not start, it is a Norcold 2118 4 door model, checked all the fuses, 110v power, propane, nothing, the eyebrow board would not light up,did not have time to get it checked and repaired as we were leaving 5 days later so we dry iced up a cooler and off we go, once arriving in Arizona $525.00 later its up and running, the tech found that the eyebrow board and high limit switch was bad, whats disturbing to me is our trailer is always stored inside when not in use, and everything was working fine when stored away 2 months earlier, now here is the good part 2 months later the cooling coils sprung a leak so back to the dry ice to keep things frozen again till we get home, called Norcold to see if they would help out with some repairs and they denied any warranty claims etc. so we decided to install the Amish Built cooling unit which I installed myself and has a 3 year warranty, all is working fantastic so far and during the install I had a couple questions called the owner and he answered my questions promptly...

Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Bought our Voltage in October of 17 probably have used it a total of 120 days, this last December took it out of our building to get ready for the Arizona winter and the refrigerator would not start, it is a Norcold 2118 4 door model, checked all the fuses, 110v power, propane, nothing, the eyebrow board would not light up,did not have time to get it checked and repaired as we were leaving 5 days later so we dry iced up a cooler and off we go, once arriving in Arizona $525.00 later its up and running, the tech found that the eyebrow board and high limit switch was bad, whats disturbing to me is our trailer is always stored inside when not in use, and everything was working fine when stored away 2 months earlier, now here is the good part 2 months later the cooling coils sprung a leak so back to the dry ice to keep things frozen again till we get home, called Norcold to see if they would help out with some repairs and they denied any warranty claims etc. so we decided to install the Amish Built cooling unit which I installed myself and has a 3 year warranty, all is working fantastic so far and during the install I had a couple questions called the owner and he answered my questions promptly...
I wish the amish folks would consider manufacturing an AC unit!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I wish the amish folks would consider manufacturing an AC unit!

Funny thing, the Amish don't manufacturer the chemicals nor do they mine and mill the steel pipes. They may bend the tubes and weld them together and they may use heavier material but the word Amish has been thrown around for many years in the absorption market but not much has changed.
I had an Amish, built in northern Indiana, been in the family for years company, residential gas refrigerator that was nothing more than a 16 cu.ft. box that was made bearing many badges. All that was done was the compressor and adjunct equipment was removed and an absorption cooling unit was installed. It didn't last any longer than any of the other three cooling units I put in the box.

QC could have been better since the word Amish was claimed but there wasn't anything special about that box.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Florida
They are assemblers and need to rely on the parts they are assembling. What I would hope is that the workmanship would be better than the junk that gets put out there now.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They are assemblers and need to rely on the parts they are assembling. What I would hope is that the workmanship would be better than the junk that gets put out there now.

One would hope that to be the case but in my experience it wasn't.
The freezer inner liner had a broken corner, the screws were driven so hard they were pulled out of the thin material. The thermostat was sloppy loose in its mounting hole and to cap the climax, the H/C indexes were added by someone with a Sharpie.
I contacted 'Junior' the supposed grandson of an Amish builder and explained the problems to him. He told me I must have purchased a rebuilt unit. I told him the price I paid wasn't for a rebuilt unit, the color had only been out for three months so his crap didn't last three months if it is a rebuilt. I offered him a first class ticket to come inspect my unit and tell me is was rebuilt. Needless to say, he didn't accept my offer.
So, one can brandish the Amish name around all they want but it doesn't have any feel good feeling for me.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
One would hope that to be the case but in my experience it wasn't.
The freezer inner liner had a broken corner, the screws were driven so hard they were pulled out of the thin material. The thermostat was sloppy loose in its mounting hole and to cap the climax, the H/C indexes were added by someone with a Sharpie.
I contacted 'Junior' the supposed grandson of an Amish builder and explained the problems to him. He told me I must have purchased a rebuilt unit. I told him the price I paid wasn't for a rebuilt unit, the color had only been out for three months so his crap didn't last three months if it is a rebuilt. I offered him a first class ticket to come inspect my unit and tell me is was rebuilt. Needless to say, he didn't accept my offer.
So, one can brandish the Amish name around all they want but it doesn't have any feel good feeling for me.

WOW! Eye opener!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #7

Texas
Sold the piece of junk

Replaced our Norcold POS and installed an LG residential for 1/3 the price of a Norcold

kensherripesce is offline   Reply With Quote