Norcold Fridge not working - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Idaho
Norcold Fridge not working

We just sold our Dutchmen Colorado FB26DSL after it had been sitting, untouched for 6 years. The new owners say the fridge is not working. They have it set on electric and it is hooked up to 110 from the house. The batteries were just replaced (we bought them, they hooked them up).

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start looking? We used the camper all summer for three years from 2007 - 2010 while we built our cabin and no problems at all with the fridge. I really don't want to take it to a dealer who will try to sell the new owners a new fridge, so am looking for a list of fairly simple things that we could check.

I'm pretty sure they did not try it on propane, so have asked them to do that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Barb.

Have you checked for a tripped breaker, also check the GFCI hasn't been tripped. The fridge should be on it's own circuit, but I have seen some that are wired to the GFIC.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Idaho
Thank you so much Jim. We are going to check the fuses and the battery hook up also as a local dealer told me that hooking the battery up the wrong way would blow fuses in the converter and/or, the fridge. Will post again if we don't find anything amiss there.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

Idaho
I have an Aspen Trail and the fuses aren't marked very well. I had a water pump go out and took fuse from Furnace since it was 95 outside and looked over and the fridge was off. Put the heater fuse back in and came back on. So check them all.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

Idaho
OK, my husband went and checked out the fuses and battery hookup, all look good. The fridge is getting power: the green light on the front is lit but the interior light is flashing on and off and the neither the fridge nor freezer is cooling... the results are the same whether switched to 'auto' or 'gas'. Any ideas please?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #6

Tennessee
I would start with voltage checking the battery even though they are new.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

Idaho
I read somewhere that this may be a Converter problem, not supplying constant power to the fridge. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I read somewhere that this may be a Converter problem, not supplying constant power to the fridge. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.
That's why I suggested checking the batteries, if they aren't fully charged your converter could be bad/going bad.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Oklahoma
I don't have your model but my fridge just did that last week after I had turned off the salesman switch to try to track down a parasitic draw. When I turned the switch back on it seemed all was ok but the interior light of the fridge would not stay on it was flickering. The green light was on. I went out and started to wiggle the swtich and everything started working again. Cheap switch contacts I guess. So far now all is back to normal.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

Idaho
OkieJim, what is the 'salesman switch'?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #11

Oklahoma
That would be the battery disconnect switch not sure if your model has one mine is in the front basement compartment. It turns most of the 12 volt systems off.