Norcold Fridge issue and possible solution - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Ontario
Norcold Fridge issue and possible solution

Hi Guy's,
We have a 2007 Dutchmen trailer 31.5 foot long with two tip outs and the Norcold N611RT fridge has stopped working. Initially we were told it was the front circuit board and this was replaced but then the mechanics tried replacing the main board and the freezer cooled down for a bit but not the fridge. Now they are saying it could be the Crystals???

We are looking at replacing the fridge with a regular electric fridge as the repairs are going to be too costly. Has anyone replaced their factory fridge with a electrical one???
Look forward to hearing from you..

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #2

Tennessee
Why isn't Norcold replacing the fridge, it should be under factory warranty. Mine was replaced from the factory and works very well. I don't really want the electrical draw of a "regular" fridge.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

Ontario
Sorry that should be 2007 not 2017.. typo on my part...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Hi Guy's,
We have a 2007 Dutchmen trailer 31.5 foot long with two tip outs and the Norcold N611RT fridge has stopped working. Initially we were told it was the front circuit board and this was replaced but then the mechanics tried replacing the main board and the freezer cooled down for a bit but not the fridge. Now they are saying it could be the Crystals???

We are looking at replacing the fridge with a regular electric fridge as the repairs are going to be too costly. Has anyone replaced their factory fridge with a electrical one???
Look forward to hearing from you..
Crystals???????????? If that's not a smoke screen from some whacked out RV service department I don't know what is.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Crystals???????????? If that's not a smoke screen from some whacked out RV service department I don't know what is.
If they meant crystallized instead of crystals that is very real possibility:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2004/02/rv-a...asics.html?m=1
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

California
Lots of folks have replaced RV fridges with electric ones including me. Most all though have done it in motorhomes not travel trailers. That's not to say it can't be done in TT. #1 you need find a electric model that's close to the same size as what you have. #2 if you find the correct size how are you going to get the old one out & the new one in. #3 you'll need a inverter to run the new when not connected to 110v power. #4 you'll need extra batteries with solar power or a generator to keep the batteries charged.
You'll find that most all new electric fridges use less amps then RV ones when on electric.
My old 4-door 12 cf Norcold in my Monaco used 12 amps on electric. The 17.5 cf Samsung I replaced it with draws 3 amps max. Oh and it was $1000 compared to RV at $3300
Ice Cream is now rock hard. Never had that in any RV I've ever owned.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
If they meant crystallized instead of crystals that is very real possibility:

The RV Doctor: RV Absorption Refrigeration Basics
Basically that's a blocked perk tube. Sort of like a human's arteries with Atherosclerosis except ours isn't welded into the system.

I think we have 100% agreement that service centers are better at replacing things than they are at diagnosis and real repair.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Couple of possibilities. I would get a second opinion from someone who works on RV fridges. It is possible to replace just the cooling unit without replacing the entire fridge. However with it being 10 years old that may not be cost effective. Another thing we have done is "burp" the non-working fridge. We had verified that everything was working but the ammonia had possibly crystallized. You have to remove the fridge, then lay it on it's side for 24 hours, then upside down for 24 hours then on it's other side for 24 hours, then hook it up and see if it cools down, some people just turn it upside down then turn it back up and that seems to work. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. If you don't need the off grid function then a swap to an small residential electric is the way to go.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Ohio
I bought a used 1995 Dutchman TT and the frig did no work so I put an electric one in. Go to Lowes. I found one the same width, & depth. I did have to remove my old dummy panel for the height because the new frig was a few inches taller. Only took a few mins. for the install and my frig id twice the cubic feet as the old. Good Luck.
DAT1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:14 AM   #10

Ontario
Thank you for all the replies.. we tried a few more things but no go. We are going to replace the fridge with a new one bought from Lowes...
Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thank you for all the replies.. we tried a few more things but no go. We are going to replace the fridge with a new one bought from Lowes...
In our last toy hauler, our fridge also died, exactly one month out of warranty!! Cost to fix $1500 to replace $3000. so we went with a used household fridge. We did have to cut the drawer under the fridge out. But then it fit quite well. My husband capped off the gas line, and just plugged it in. We are always either fully hooked up or running the generator. Worked just fine!!

DebNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote