no heating in my brand new 2018 Kodiak?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #1

Utah
no heating in my brand new 2018 Kodiak??

Good evening. As of this week, we are first-time travel trailer owners. We just purchased a Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL. Nearly 30' long total length and sleeps 7 or 8.

By the way, I have Googled and Googled and searched this forum, but did not find anything definitive. I also spoke with the dealer and even called Dutchman, but they struggled a bit to help.

My question: The RV comes with a 19,000 high-output furnace. In looking for trailers, I have probably walked in over 100 in the last two weeks. As we finalized our purchase of the trailer, I noticed something that stopped me dead in my tracks....NO HEATER VENTS AT ALL IN THIS TRAILER. The A/C is ducted and vented on the ceiling for sure (13.5k BTU, which sounds fairly common). But there are no heater vents. None in the floor of the main area. None in the bathroom. And none in the main bedroom (full-size 80" long queen with doors that shut). Just a big heater output venty thingy between the fridge and rear bunks. What is even weirder is that some of the SHORTER 2018 Kodiak Ultra-Lites have floor heating vents, and some LONGER than mine have them, but not ours.

I am so concerned and worried that the front bedroom will get cold on cool nights. I enjoy it cold, but my wife does not.

Is my particular heater somehow enough and will work just fine to heat the unit? I certainly hope so. Can I run the A/C fan only in cold weather to move heat around? Please help me out, but be sensitive to the fact that we just bought this and don't want to feel crappy about it. I want this to be a fun time.

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums! I haven't seen a larger modern trailer without heating vents... But I haven't been around long enough to see everything... yet.

Can you get us a picture of the furnace and possibly the make and model number tag?

Yes you can run the fan on the AC, but I would think you would lose a fair bit of warmth by doing it that way. Perhaps a couple of strategically placed small fans would work better?

Unfortunately with Dutchmen even the impossible is possible.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I can't find any brochures or documentation that state what furnace is in the Ultra-Lite. So it may well have a non-ducted furnace. The few pictures I could find show a single vent furnace. They also don't call out a heated underbelly in the Ultra-Lite line which by itself doesn't mean anything, but could be an indicator that they chose not to use a duct furnace on that line.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Illinois
I know this may sound stupid, but have you looked at other identical RV's to your model. Just maybe they ran the flooring over the vents and didn't cut them out. They've made bigger mistakes on the assembly line.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Florida
definitely strange. I just watched a walk through video of your unit and there are NO vents!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Tennessee
I'd be more concerned as how your going to keep a 30 foot camper cool out west with one small air conditioner, a couple of small space heaters are cheap, safe and effective. The unit that came with the camper is a propane eating machine.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #7

Utah
updates and responses to questions

Thanks everyone! Here are some updates and responses to your good questions:

(1) I have looked at EVERY 2018 Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL on the lot. All of them have a single 19,000 high output furnace, but NONE of them have ducted vents anywhere (e.g., in the bathroom OR bedroom). Since the bedroom is closed off by doors, this is why I was concerned. So just a single big furnace output/vent between the fridge and the rear bunks.

(2) I have looked at EVERY OTHER Kodiak Ultra-Lite on the lot, some smaller, some bigger (21', 22', 23' 24' and 27'). ALL OF THEM have heating vents. This is the ONLY 2018 Kodiak Ultra-Lite model that does not have ducted heat. Just not sure why, and more importantly, how do the bedroom people stay warm when it is in the 30's outside.

(3) My particular Kodiak Ultra-Lite comes with the "cold-weather package", which flows heat into the enclosed underbelly. Funny they put heat in to the underbelly but not where people sleep. Perhaps I will sleep in the underbelly instead of the bedroom.

(4) The 13,500 BTU A/C is ducted and vented everywhere, along the ceiling. Not too worried about that.

(5) I was hoping to run the A/C fan ONLY to move heat around, but it sounds like that will not work off of battery only.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
(4) The 13,500 BTU A/C is ducted and vented everywhere, along the ceiling. Not too worried about that.
I'll remember you said that.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Utah
hahaha...wildwest450

I suppose all I meant is that our new Kodiak has about the same A/C as most or all similar models. We will see how cool we stay this summer.

It is just the darn heater/vents that caught us off guard. I spoke to the dealer today and they INSIST that it is not an issue...that the front bedroom will have plenty of heat and this type of one-vent heater is common, especially on similar-sized toy haulers. Plus, I have been reading many posts about duct problems anyhow (e.g., bathroom too hot, vents not flowing, etc.) So we'll see. Gulp.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

Arizona
Heat to underbelly, Don,t be too sure

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Here are some updates and responses to your good questions:

(1) I have looked at EVERY 2018 Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL on the lot. All of them have a single 19,000 high output furnace, but NONE of them have ducted vents anywhere (e.g., in the bathroom OR bedroom). Since the bedroom is closed off by doors, this is why I was concerned. So just a single big furnace output/vent between the fridge and the rear bunks.

(2) I have looked at EVERY OTHER Kodiak Ultra-Lite on the lot, some smaller, some bigger (21', 22', 23' 24' and 27'). ALL OF THEM have heating vents. This is the ONLY 2018 Kodiak Ultra-Lite model that does not have ducted heat. Just not sure why, and more importantly, how do the bedroom people stay warm when it is in the 30's outside.

(3) My particular Kodiak Ultra-Lite comes with the "cold-weather package", which flows heat into the enclosed underbelly. Funny they put heat in to the underbelly but not where people sleep. Perhaps I will sleep in the underbelly instead of the bedroom.

(5) I was hoping to run the A/C fan ONLY to move heat around, but it sounds like that will not work off of battery only.
I have a 2017 201QB Kodiak and had issues with the fresh water tank supports (almost fell out) and had to remove the underbelly, I was looking for the belly heat vent and could not find it, turns out it didn't go through, it was mounted to floor inside for looks I guess and even if it went through it would have been on the top of the grey tank. I had to completely relocate it.
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #11

Utah
Thanks Aetheria. The heated/enclosed underbelly is just what is currently showing on the Dutchman website for the Ultra-Lites, so that is all I am going on (Kodiak Features Specs Options). There is also a giant sticker on the unit that says "All Seasons Package", so I guess we will see if my water lines freeze.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Thanks Aetheria. The heated/enclosed underbelly is just what is currently showing on the Dutchman website for the Ultra-Lites, so that is all I am going on (Kodiak Features Specs Options). There is also a giant sticker on the unit that says "All Seasons Package", so I guess we will see if my water lines freeze.
Just a shot in the dark but i have seen many new ones where the heat vents are not in the floor. They are mounted in cabinet sides etc.
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #13

Arizona
I have to agree with the AC comment, our single unit in our 34 foot 300hbsl is just not enough to cool it and we live in Tucson and summers in Connecticut,, was not enough for sure,, Good luck with your unit.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #14

Wisconsin
All Seasons Package on Kodiak Cub just for show.

"All season" means not below 32 degrees according to Kodiak Customer Service (Keystone answers the phone).
I have a Kodiak Cub. It took about $3000 worth of work to keep the plumbing from freezing when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. The dealer, Sunny Island in Illinois, did about $2100 work under the floor including cutting a hole for the decorative only heat duct from the furnace. I did another $1000 work to actually make hot air flow through the duct enough to keep it from freezing down to 20 degrees F.
I also had to replace the water pump because it had a cracked pump chamber. The pump is located above the floor. Additional work was necessary to get heat flowing into the cabinets housing the pump.

Quote:
persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #15

Oklahoma
I just bought a 283 BHSL. 32' 11" Heat and air is fine and ours has a 15000 AC unit.
Is yours a All Season if so there should be a vent to the under belly.
Mfg. Is not so good after they get their money. If something needs done or fixing, call them everyday.
djames37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #16

South Carolina
Total rookie here. But here is what we have in a 2018 Kodiak 243 RBSL. A much smaller unit than yours.

15K HVAC. All Season package. Not sure of size of heater.

Heater has vents on the wall in Central area and in bathroom. The bedroom has one floor vent.

We have camped out in 15 degree F temperature. No issues.
The heat vent in the bathroom is unbearable if running.. If you are errr sitting. haha HOTTT
Good Luck
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Total rookie here. But here is what we have in a 2018 Kodiak 243 RBSL. A much smaller unit than yours.

Bill

Forgot to mention. Also an UltraLight.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #18

Utah
Thanks Denali. No - there are no heating vents anywhere. On the floor. Near the floor. etc..etc..
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #19

Utah
Understood Rich2481...my point was that our unit had the same A/C vents as any other unit, but it was the ducted heating that was missing entirely.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #20

Utah
Yes, it has a heated underbelly according to the MSRP documentation from the mfr, the website, specs on brochures, and the stickers on the unit. I just thought it interesting that the underbelly has heating but no ducted heating inside the unit.