dometic roof AC leaking water inside camper - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 05:18 AM   #1

Oklahoma
dometic roof AC leaking water inside camper

Ok, this is frustrating, I've got a dometic roof AC that cools great even in 103 heat but when night comes, I don't change full on settings and it gurgles then if I shut it off it leaks 3 to 4 cups of water out vent that is suppose to be drawing air out of camper. I've pulled entire cover off and gently removed styrofoam cover and verified my 2018 Aspen trail LE camper by dutchman roof dometic AC drains properly and it does. EVERY NIGHT THIS HAPPENS AS IT COOLS DOWN OUTSIDE. HELP.

alanjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjh View Post
Ok, this is frustrating, I've got a dometic roof AC that cools great even in 103 heat but when night comes, I don't change full on settings and it gurgles then if I shut it off it leaks 3 to 4 cups of water out vent that is suppose to be drawing air out of camper. I've pulled entire cover off and gently removed styrofoam cover and verified my 2018 Aspen trail LE camper by dutchman roof dometic AC drains properly and it does. EVERY NIGHT THIS HAPPENS AS IT COOLS DOWN OUTSIDE. HELP.

Did you take any pictures when you had it apart? Especially the condenser pan and around the evaporator...

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

Florida
wonder if this really works?

Old 06-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Did you take any pictures when you had it apart? Especially the condenser pan and around the evaporator...
No I didn't take any pictures when I had it apart. I bought used and I did notice two bolts adjacent to screen that sucks hot air out of camper were a little rusty where it doesn't look like water is suppose to be? The drain hole works great, it's very clean, and it's not the drain hole being obstructed causing the problem. Only when it's cooler outside, say 80, does this problem occure. Do I have to put the temp control on its lowest (warmest) position all night? Isn't there controls that prevent units from freezing up?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Florida
If it is freezing it's low on freon. Does it leak immediately when you shut it off or does it drip over time?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
If it is freezing it's low on freon. Does it leak immediately when you shut it off or does it drip over time?
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! There's a filter right on the unit behind the vent holes where the unit sucks air out of the camper! And the filter was super clogged. I cleaned the filter and replaced it back in unit and the unit is blowing three times as good and as cold as it ever has even the day I bought it! It's not real clear that there is a filter there and either it's not in the owners manual or I missed it! Dealer did not know it existed on these newly designed dometic "brisk II" non ducted roof top units!! Tonight I'll find out if it gurgles and leaks but I'll bet it doesn't because the AC unit won't be freezing up from lack of air over the fins! I was worrying because my wife's headed back from Korea with the us military and she hates camping. It would not have been good waking her up in the middle of the night with buckets and no AC.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #7

Missouri
Boy do I have good news for you. This is a simple fix. There are four bolts easy to access by removing the cover inside, Tighten the four bolts. I had water coming in and this solved it. Apparently the bolts looses over time from bouncing around on the roof. I think I found a You Tube video on this and that's how I learned how to do it.

Straylee is offline   Reply With Quote