Converting voltage 3950 to LED - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

Colorado
Converting voltage 3950 to LED

I've identified all the bulbs in the coach and found all the LED conversions with the exception of the Fridigaire convection microwave. The user manual only states to replace the bulb with a 30W appliance bulb, and there's no other indications on the existing bulbs or sockets under the microwave to indicate the base type.

Does anyone know the standard base type for an appliance bulb? I know this is a long shot as there's multiple base types for appliance bulbs I think.

Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Texas
Can you post your source for the new led lights with part numbers if possible? Also what is the approximate cost of this conversion?

Heywodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Wyoming
I just switched all my lights to LED.
Not sure why you'd worry about changing the microwave light as the microwave probably only works on 120V anyway. LED's are to save battery power.
I doubt there is an appliance bulb yet in LED. Appliance bulbs are built to take the heat of an oven.

I buy mine from my local RV dealer as they have pretty good prices. I paid $110 for 12 bulbs.

Here is a chart for Arcon LED bulbs which is useful for cross-referencing.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #4

Colorado
Wanderer,
That's a great chart that i referenced in my research for converting over my coach, among other sources. As for the microwave the lights are below the micro not in an oven. You are correct in the fact that the LED conversion is to reduce the DC power consumption, you are also correct in the fact that the micro runs on AC. What I did not state in my first post is the fact that I also have a 480W solar kit on order along with a 3000W pure sine converter and upgraded charger, to mate against the 6-6V 245AH/ea (735AH total) battery bank I've installed, this combination will allow for me to run the micro off the battery bank as well as 120V if I were camping where hookups are available.

The goal is to get rid of all incandescent and halogen bulbs in the coach to maximize the solar and battery bank and reduce the need for the generator.

I'm the kind of person that if I want to do something I'll do the entire thing and do it once and be done with it.

Heywodja,
I don't know what kind of coach you have so your options are limitless. I've found all the interior bulbs I need for a Voltage 3950 on amazon for less then $200 total. I could have done the entire conversion for under $100 but I don't trust the other sources available, aka 30-50 day shipment from china, no thanks. The amazon sources are backed by amazon so if anything goes aery with shipping or the product I have somewhat of a fall back. There are two main bulb bases on the interior T921 in the garage style ceiling lights, and G4 in lamps/ceiling pucks.

You could also chose to go to your local RV retailer and pay their prices at $10-$12 per LED if you chose, at the end of the day the components are all the same (Only the construction differs) so I went with amazon, heck I even considered just buying the 300+ LED light strips that I can get for $19 and making my own until I priced the rest of the components, the time + materials wasn't worth the effort. (This may end up being my option if I can't find an LED base pre-manufactured for an appliance bulb, if not I'll break the bulb remove the guts and make my own LED using the base of an incandescent.)

The ceiling pucks come in two different sizes a 12V10W and a 12V20W you can tell the difference in the size of the pucks, smaller = 10W.

The bulbs I chose for lamps are an 18-5050 SMD LED arranged on a stick for the omni-directional requirement of a lamp.

The bulbs I chose for the ceiling pucks are 12-5050 SMD arranged on a disc for 120 degree lighting as the puck reflectors won't be needed.

The bulbs I chose for the garage style lights are the same 12-5050 SMD on a disc just a different base type.

Just for all my interior lights minus the microwave I have 50 bulbs to replace (My per bulb cost is less then $4 per LED as I'll have extras by ordering in bulk). I'm still deciding on the type of replacements for the exterior security lights, step lights, and running lights, that will be another order at a later date.

I don't want to link any specific vendors from amazon as I'm just a customer and don't want to impose my decision of one vendor over another. Yes I did research the seller as well then make a judgement call whether to order from them or not. The order is placed and I'll report back later once I've received the LED's and have a chance to install them.

You may want to also look at the LED thread in the toy hauler section as there's a decent writeup there as well.

The reason for this post is to identify the bulb base type for the Frigidaire convection microwave which is why it's in the appliance section. If I don't get this figured out by the weekend I'll just take one of the bulbs to the local big box store and start testing lamps and/or comparing bases to get it figured out.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

Texas
Grimtas and Wanderer,

Thanks for replies and info. We have a 2013 voltage 3950. I have been wanting to convert to led. I have already performed a few mods, but the 10 dollar bulbs at the RV store really made me rethink that as a viable option.

I have some other led products as headlights on my jeep and motorcycle I hope I can get some color temp closer to the halogens that are currently installed in the Voltage. The others I have seen seem the be just a little to blue or silver for interior use.

What are your thoughts on this Grimtas?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #6

Wyoming
Doug, look for warm whites as that colour temp is nicer than the bright whites.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #7

Colorado
Wanderer is correct if your looking for a close match to incandescent go for warm white in the 3000-3500 kelvin range. The natural white is usually in the 4000+ range and the higher you go the more blue you will find. I go for the 4000-5000 range as I prefer the whiter over the yellow ting of the incandescent's. Too often I find myself setting my DSLR's white balance to remove the sepia in photos around the house, I changed most of the house lights over to a more natural white CFL, but will eventually change them out to LED's to knock off another of the honey dew list...
Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

California
For the outside step & porch light I went with the bright white on the Teton i have. Will be doing the same thing on my V3605 when i get it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

Wyoming
Good idea DesertRat, you would want the brighter, white lights outside.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #10

Colorado
Well my LED's arrived yesterday and I installed them last night. I like the bright white as the light to me seems cleaner then the warm white. The only thing remaining is still the lights on the microwave, I'll probably just make up a light for those as I never did figure out the bulb base type, and of course the exterior.

The good news is the control panel was displaying 8 amps in use with all the interior lights on using the old halogens, now with every light on and LED it's only displaying 1 amp in use.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #11

Wyoming
That is nice to see isn't it?
No more worrying when someone leaves a light on!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #12

Texas
That is a large difference in amps. Probably could be sustained with a small solar
Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywodja View Post
That is a large difference in amps. Probably could be sustained with a small solar
I would agree with that, and had I known it would have dropped so much I would have ordered a smaller array. At least I won't have to worry about power on cloudy days with the 480W kit, that should be here by next weekend, still trying to decide on the T-105 or T-145 batteries atm. Even though costly and a bit heavier I'm leaning towards the T-145's X6.

With that setup I should be able to boondock weeks on end with out having to use the genset, and will still be able to use the microwave and watch the TV's if I want to.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Grimtas,
Be aware that the more amp hours of batteries do give you more run time of 12 volt appliances but also they do require more time to charge. Make sure you watch out for how many amp hours you use, and how many you can put back in on a sunny day.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #15

Texas
Complete LED

I did the complete 3905 with LED's. They are also much cooler and do not heat up the coach as much. Every light except the Microwave.

onedrill is offline   Reply With Quote