Cannot start fridge in pop up (better pic) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #1

Ontario
Cannot start fridge in pop up (better pic)

Hello,

I am re-posting this picture. We have an old Dutchmen pop-up camper. I cannot ignite the propane system to cool the fridge. I have checked the propane lines and they work. The stove works in the camper. There doesn't seem to be any propane going to the igniter to start the fridge.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Here is a picture of the propane system below the fridge.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2500  

Mike from Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 AM   #2

South Carolina
This doesn't look like an electronic ignitor system, but rather the old microvolt type. If so, the white horizontal knob should say something like off-pilot-on. Turn to pilot, and push down. (there will be some sort of temporary position that must be held against a spring-load). You are then letting propane get to the pilot light, which you light manually, with a butane fire stick. On yours, stick the light inside the hole in the box on the right. Pull out the stick, and you should see the small blue flame of the pilot.. If so, CONTINUE TO HOLD the button down for about 30 seconds. The pilot will warm a thermocouple, which will generate a small amount of electricity, enough to hold the valve open by itself. Then, let go of holding down the button. Check pilot again. If it's on, you're golden. If it goes out, repeat. Once it is on and stays on, turn knob to "on". The main valve should open, and the main burner should light. The pilot stays on all the time; the main burner turns on/off dependent on cooling need. (yes, boiling the ammonia chemical produces cooling). If you turn everything off, or shut off the propane, the pilot goes out, and you'll have to repeat from the beginning.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:49 AM   #3

South Carolina
Re-looking at your picture, I see two red controls. I'm thinking now the one to the left is a main propane shutoff. Make sure it is open. The one on the bottom appears to be some kind of pressure knob on the microvolt valve. That's the one to push. The three tubes going to the burn chamber are main gas, pilot gas, and thermocouple signal return back to the valve. Focus on the red valves, and adjust white knobs based on what they are lettered as saying.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote