Atwood Furnace wet - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Florida
Atwood Furnace wet

After a hard blowing rain my Atwood Furnace no longer lights. The blower motor goes on and when standing outside the RV by the vent I can hear water gurgling as the blower runs and then the blower shuts down. How do I get the water out, and how do I prevent water from getting in again?

GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #2

Florida
Update to heater water logged

It appears the water is from the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet sitting right above the furnance box. With the blower going water drips from the place where the furnace gas valve kit is attached to the furnace box. Figuring out how to stop the leak from the foot valve on the toilet will probably stop water entering the furnace box. Hopefully it will dry out. 2016 Voltage 3200 has been a water leak champ from the git go.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Tennessee
Check the condition of the control board. I had to replace it twice because water got blown into the furnace area. 1st time it was replaced by the dealer because I found it during the spring time. 2nd was in a park in Pensacola a couple of years ago. Because of improper furnace install water leaked into the control circuit and shorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 AM   #4

Florida
Heater control board

Control board is fine after drying with hair dryer - which I keep on hand to dry gas asorption fridge temp shut off relay when that gets wet. It's the leaking toilet flush valve located over the furnace that caused the problem. I didn't notice that leak because the water ran down the hole in the floor for the toilet supply line.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Michigan
This may or may not apply to your Atwood furnace, but there are a couple models that had the circuit board mounted horizontally, with one edge pushing against the inside of the furnace door/cover. My furnace door leaked along the top and water ran down the inside and onto the circuit board. That caused my blower to turn on continuously, even with the thermostat off. This happened on a cross-country trip, and pulling the fuse would shut things down, but since it was the SAME fuse as the refrigerator, that quit also. I ended up drying the board and placing it in a zip-lock bag before sliding it back in place. I also put some painter tape along the top of the door panel to keep the water out until I could upgrade the seal. Ultimately, Atwood replaced the furnace because of an unrelated issue, and the replacement had the board relocated, and included an updated door/cover. Also, it is easy to get water into the heat exchanger via the exhaust pipe when the units are mounted in a horizontal position. If you look into the exhaust you MAY see it leads in a downward direction into the heat chamber. The factory says any moisture will burn away when the furnace runs. I say it will sit in there all summer and cause rust. Time will tell. Most of these units are pretty nicely built and work great, but with all the various mounting possibilities by the RV mfgrs, anything can happen.

Tags
furnace, heater, propane