Air Conditioner keeps cutting off - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Texas
Air Conditioner keeps cutting off

Hello everyone. I am very green to the TT life. I have a 6000 watt Troy Built generator that I plan on using for my trailer. I hooked it up yesterday and my air conditioner cut off. I checked the breakers and everything was still good. I even tried plugging in the trailer to an outlet in my garage and it did the same thing. I figured a 6000 watt generator would be plenty to run at least the air conditioner. The only other thing I had on was 2 lights because it was dark. Any information that yall can give me would be greatly appreciated! I have a Dutchmen 28f DSL by the way.

KingBaconTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBaconTX View Post
Hello everyone. I am very green to the TT life. I have a 6000 watt Troy Built generator that I plan on using for my trailer. I hooked it up yesterday and my air conditioner cut off. I checked the breakers and everything was still good. I even tried plugging in the trailer to an outlet in my garage and it did the same thing. I figured a 6000 watt generator would be plenty to run at least the air conditioner. The only other thing I had on was 2 lights because it was dark. Any information that yall can give me would be greatly appreciated! I have a Dutchmen 28f DSL by the way.
The generator is plenty large enough to run one A/C unit. When you say the A/C cuts off do you mean it runs for awhile and then shuts down or it doesn't even start or even attempt to start?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The generator is plenty large enough to run one A/C unit. When you say the A/C cuts off do you mean it runs for awhile and then shuts down or it doesn't even start or even attempt to start?

The A/C will turn on and run for a while. Then it shuts off.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

make sure the generator his set at 60 hz and not 50 hz . Some gens allow you to change the Hertz settings like my old Kawasaki does. Another thing is the cord your running to the AC unit.. is it an orange extension cord or a very large cord.?? If the cord is one of those slim extension cords like homeowners use to run a weed wacker or such it probably has too much voltage drop since its so small in size. there are several things that will cause the drop off the AC unit.. Short of a faulty AC unit I mentioned a few.. BTW is this a home window unit or attached to the RV?? If its a mounted RV unit ac how are you connecting it to the generator/??
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
make sure the generator his set at 60 hz and not 50 hz . Some gens allow you to change the Hertz settings like my old Kawasaki does. Another thing is the cord your running to the AC unit.. is it an orange extension cord or a very large cord.?? If the cord is one of those slim extension cords like homeowners use to run a weed wacker or such it probably has too much voltage drop since its so small in size. there are several things that will cause the drop off the AC unit.. Short of a faulty AC unit I mentioned a few.. BTW is this a home window unit or attached to the RV?? If its a mounted RV unit ac how are you connecting it to the generator/??
The A/C unit is attached to the roof. I used the big black chord that it came with. now I did use a standard 110 plug-in adapter with 2 prongs and a ground. I used that to plug into the standard outlet on the generator. Could that be the issue?
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
The A/C unit is attached to the roof. I used the big black chord that it came with. now I did use a standard 110 plug-in adapter with 2 prongs and a ground. I used that to plug into the standard outlet on the generator. Could that be the issue?
My guess is the cord is not the problem now. Since you used an adapter it should would ok. No voltage drop there to speak of. The only other thing it could be is the thermostat if you have one or the AC unit. I have done the adapter in the past and ran one AC before off house current.. My guess is a faulty ac unit or control board for the ac unit if it has one..
BTW 6000 genset is probably 5500 running and 6000 peak draw. That is more than sufficient to run any RV ac unit. They pull less than 15 amps start up and less running. The Generator should peak at 50 amps..45 running. Plenty of power.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Oklahoma
If this is an older A/C it is possible that it will operate until a low pressure is encountered. In other words, the unit is low on refrigerant and may come back to life with a recharge.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Texas
Alrighty yall! thanks for the input. I will have to get someone to look at that unit and see if it needs recharging or maybe checking the controls and thermostat. It is a 2006 model, so I am hoping it is something minor that can be fixed at home and cheap. if there is anything else, please let me know!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Alrighty yall! thanks for the input. I will have to get someone to look at that unit and see if it needs recharging or maybe checking the controls and thermostat. It is a 2006 model, so I am hoping it is something minor that can be fixed at home and cheap. if there is anything else, please let me know!
It's eleven years old, my money is it needs refrigerant. Don't be surprised if you're told it can't be recharged because there isn't a port to do this. A real HVAC person can add a port and give it a shot, literally.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
It's eleven years old, my money is it needs refrigerant. Don't be surprised if you're told it can't be recharged because there isn't a port to do this. A real HVAC person can add a port and give it a shot, literally.
When it first starts, the air coming out is pretty cold. It is even coming out cold right when it shuts off. But I know a few HVAC guys around here that might be willing to help me out with this. I really don't feel like buying a whole new system.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #11

If it is leaking you might as well spring for a new one. They are sealed systems as mentioned earlier no Schrader valve ports to add gas. With that said if it needs gas of freon, there is a leak probably in the evaporator coils which is pretty much not fixable. These units are like window ac units.......Disposable and not meant to be fixed.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:

I think your ac would not have run on 110. I think you should have used the 110/220 plug instead of the 20 amp plug...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Texas
Well it looks like my ac unit is low on Freon. My buddy said he could tap it to add some, but not guarantee that it would hold. Im looking at replacing this thing, once I gather enough money. its about to get cold here in west texas so I wont need the ac as much. I appreciate yalls input!