Aerolite 282DBHS AC Ducts Fixed - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Delaware
Aerolite 282DBHS AC Ducts Fixed

I have had my 282DBHS for just under a year. Last year we did not use the AC much and I thought it was working fine. It wasn't until a trip over July 4 that I realized I was wrong. After removing the interior panel I found that there are two ducts that come out of the AC unit. One feeds the camp side and only runs into the bathroom. The other (non-camp side) feeds four vents that run the entire length of the camper. There was very little air flow out of the vent above the rear bunk and just moderately more out of the remaining vents. The vent in the bathroom blows air like a jet engine.

I took off all of the vents and taped them so the air feed from the duct into the vent and not into the ceiling. Like everyone else with Dutchmen products, the vent installations were done by a blind person (no offense to the blind).

That still did not produce any real changes so I lowered the interior portion of the AC unit. I discovered that the feed to the bathroom vent was 2X6 and the feed to the rest of the camper was 2X2. I tried taping off some of the bathroom vent but the that restricted airflow too much causing the unit to shut off. I called Advent and they sent me a new freeze sensor.

After looking at it again I decided to try and make the opening on the non-camp side bigger. I removed all of the foil tape on that side and discovered that the feed into the duct was in the wrong spot (about 5 inches off) and that was why the opening was so small.

Main duct feed

Bathroom feed

I could not move it so I was able to make a rectangle "duct" out of some foam I had around the house. I then cut the existing duct and inserted it into place. Then I taped everything off making a much larger opening than previously existed.

I then made the opening to the bathroom duct a little smaller as well.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Texas
What did you come up with? We were in the midst of purchasing this yesterday at Camping World in Houston. It's hot here. I raised concerns with the AC and asked them to plug in mid day to see how the one unit cooled. The bathroom got cold fast. The bunks and main area were OK, but the master was miserable. We left without buying. They suggested a 110 AC to the master, which I was OK with, but hubs was concerned about adding and roof leaks. This camper is perfect, small, king bed (which we've never had in a camper or motorhome and I want) and creature comforts that are nice for the price. I was also wondering if this really pulls OK with a 1/2 ton? Seeing your post, I'm glad we left without buying, giving the purchase more thought. Any advice?

JillTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillTx View Post
What did you come up with? We were in the midst of purchasing this yesterday at Camping World in Houston. It's hot here. I raised concerns with the AC and asked them to plug in mid day to see how the one unit cooled. The bathroom got cold fast. The bunks and main area were OK, but the master was miserable. We left without buying. They suggested a 110 AC to the master, which I was OK with, but hubs was concerned about adding and roof leaks. This camper is perfect, small, king bed (which we've never had in a camper or motorhome and I want) and creature comforts that are nice for the price. I was also wondering if this really pulls OK with a 1/2 ton? Seeing your post, I'm glad we left without buying, giving the purchase more thought. Any advice?

The changes that I have made work for us but the hottest we've seen has been mid 90's. Between modifying the ducts and adding the flash freeze its good. I think they changed to a Dometic AC now. I don't have any experience with their units.

As far as adding a second unit, I would be nervous. When I swapped in my Maxx fan in the master Dutchmen told me not to go on the roof past the last arch support. That is before the vent hole. I don't think the structure could support a second AC.

We added two small 110 fans that we use inside now.

Good luck.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote