3rd / Garage and main a/c unit issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

Florida
3rd / Garage and main a/c unit issues

Hello,
Been experiencing A/C problems on my 2015 V3990.
I've owned the rig since new, October 2015.
This past August I was camping weekends in central FL. The rig was hooked to the pedestal for the whole month, but the A/C was turned off when not in use. On the third weekend I turned on the A/C for all three zones like I normally would (96 deg inside). The rig cooled down and automatically turned off zones 3 and 2 ( garage and B/R respectively). As the cneter A/C was still running I noted a low frequency sound that I've never heard before. Turns out the compressor for the rear A/C was still running. Regardless of what the zone OR thermostat position were in, ( fully off) the compressor continued to run. The only thing that turns it off is the breaker. I tried restart the third zone in auto fan mode and the compressor kicks on first with no fan operation. I am able to get the zone to come on at low and medium fan settings but when i switch it to high or auto, the fan shuts down, leaving the compressor on.

I double checked the panel to make sure all the connections were tight because on the previous weekend, while using the convection oven, there seemed to be a strong plastic odor coming from the panel. The panel appears to be fine and all connections were tight.

In early September I set the rig up at my house on 30 amp shore power, ( always have BTW). I retested the rear unit and the symptoms persist. I turned off the breaker and started up zones 1 and 2 in auto cool modes, zone 2 kicked on, but zone 1 would not come on at all, and showed the hourglass and temp setting only. I tired starting the unit in low and med fan settings, and the unit functions but again, when I turn it to hi or auto, it shuts down.

I tried using the diagnostic mode and it seems regardless of zones, none of the unit's will operate in that mode on high fan setting.

The odd thing, zone 2 is fully functional, but in diag mode the fan won't run on high setting.

I've tried troubleshooting on generator and shore power and there no difference. I've pulled the central units covers off and inspected the wiring and board and everything appears clean and dry.

I'm at a loss here. The last thing I will try before it goes to a dealer, is to replace Zone 3's circuit breaker.

Not sure if this is a CC2 module, controller board, or thermostat issue. I got no error codes during the diag testing...

Thanks, it's a long read....

Ramagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

California
Too bad you don’t have another thermostat you could swap and trouble shoot that. With different zones and all the inconsistencies I wouldn’t eliminate the thermostat. Unlikely but still possible. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I would suspect thermostat, however I am not familiar with the multi unit A/C systems to be positive on that.

Good luck and let us know when you get it figured out. These units are become too complicated.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would suspect thermostat, however I am not familiar with the multi unit A/C systems to be positive on that.

Good luck and let us know when you get it figured out. These units are become too complicated.

Aaron
Also remember something weird could be the LMS may unplug and reseat the RJ-45 on the back of the panel. Might have come loose or not installed fully. Lots on here had an issue with them too.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Also remember something weird could be the LMS may unplug and reseat the RJ-45 on the back of the panel. Might have come loose or not installed fully. Lots on here had an issue with them too.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
I agree, this is a known problem area on these multiple zone units. Many folks have discovered the problem to be where the communications cable (the RJ-45 connection) plugs into the third unit. Lots of corrosion on connectors in the junction box up in the third A/C, or the connector is just disconnected up in there.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

Florida
Resolution. After contacting Dometic they felt that it's possible that a control board failed. I was 3 days out of the 2 year warranty. They offered to extend the warranty so I could get the system repaired. The dealer replaced the middle and rear ( garage ) units completely. They said they were low on Freon.
Main unit problem resolved, but after bringing it back home I discovered the same problem persisted in the rear unit. I brought it back to the dealer and they said the units are complete and drop in, but will check if the rear control board isn't functioning and replace if needed. Well its done now. Rear unit which was new, ended up needing a new control board. While checking out the operation at the dealer I noticed that the coax cables from the side of the trailer had dropped down in the crawl space thats under the bathroom. Looks like they were poking around for some reason and left the wires drooping onto the floor. I'm curious why, because they cable for the controllers wasn't in this area.
Regardless, it's operational and I have two new A/C units.
Ramagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramagain View Post
Resolution. After contacting Dometic they felt that it's possible that a control board failed. I was 3 days out of the 2 year warranty. They offered to extend the warranty so I could get the system repaired. The dealer replaced the middle and rear ( garage ) units completely. They said they were low on Freon.
Main unit problem resolved, but after bringing it back home I discovered the same problem persisted in the rear unit. I brought it back to the dealer and they said the units are complete and drop in, but will check if the rear control board isn't functioning and replace if needed. Well its done now. Rear unit which was new, ended up needing a new control board. While checking out the operation at the dealer I noticed that the coax cables from the side of the trailer had dropped down in the crawl space thats under the bathroom. Looks like they were poking around for some reason and left the wires drooping onto the floor. I'm curious why, because they cable for the controllers wasn't in this area.

Congrats on getting your AC fixed under warranty... GOOD JOB!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramagain View Post
Glad to hear, and thanks for letting us all know. Not everyone does.

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote