Wiring help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Texas
Question Wiring help

So, this camper kinda fell in my lap. Don't REALLY know what I have as there's no title, no paperwork, manual, etc. What I do know is that it's a 2005 dutchman, the total trailer length is 30' it says 26b in several places, no slides. Queen/ double bed in the front, then a couch facing the kitchen and dining table. Behind the dinette are bunk beds, with a closet between those and the bathroom.

Overall it's in great condition. The thing that got it to me was a drivers side blowout. The blowout took out the entire wheel well, the breaker/ converter/fuse box. That's replaced and working well. The things that are left are the control/ monitoring panel for all 3 water tanks, fresh, gray and black. The water pump wire was yanked free and the bath power.

The bath power, I think I can fairly easily identify, junction and get back to the fuse block and get it working.

What's got me stuck are the tanks and pump. Apparently schematics for these things are a bit like santa claus. So what I need is... how do the tanks and monitor, wire up? Is it just a + and a neg up to the monitor panel, then a +&- down to each tank? The panel also monitors battery levels, same thing?

The other thing is that on the wall next to the kitchen are 2 rocker switches in a single panel. One with a symbol for power and the other a teardrop for water. Obviously (I think), these turn on battery power to the fuse block and water pump? Again, what's the connection method for this?

Am I just gonna have to tone out wires that were ripped apart to figure out what goes where or is there another method.

I'm an electrician so this isn't really out of my realm of expertise and I have no doubt I can actually figure it out or reroute new wires to make everything work. But, hoping someone will have links, or the knowledge and info I'm in search of without my having to completely start from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

P.s. in my mind this applies to a few different categories, tanks, electric, water pumps/ plumbing. Is it bad form to copy and paste this post into multiple categories?

Rickardcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Oklahoma
You are working with 12VDC so just like your experience with 110VAC you'll switch one leg of the circuit. The tank monitors are probably the same way, a traveler and then the switched leg.
The water pump is hard wired directly. It has a pressure switch built in so it only operates when there is a demand for water.
Let me change the water pump deal. The switch with the water drop is to switch off the water pump when you are using city water. If you go on tank water then you'll throw the water drop switch but the built in switch will still contol the pump.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

Texas
That was my thought with the water pump, but I've very definitely got a switch with a tear drop designating water and a lightning bolt designating power, could they be water heater power and flow?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The lightning bolt could be for water heater. I don't think it would be switching a positive side buss, that's probably straight off the battery. Somewhere there should be a negative buss bar.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #5

Texas
Sounds like toning out and continuity is gonna be the only way to get it done. Booo
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickardcl View Post
Sounds like toning out and continuity is gonna be the only way to get it done. Booo
Yep, can't go wrong with those techniques unless you run into open wires. Then the big BOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum - yup sounds like a tone job to me - there are no hard and fast rules with RV wiring... mine had black wire for everything 12 volt and white and black for the 110 side... made life interesting....
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #8

Maryland
May I suggest looking into the titling issue before putting time and money in. Of course,not an issue if you never want to tag it.

Pugapooh is offline   Reply With Quote