White tanks draining into black tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Washington
White tanks draining into black tank

I have a 2018 Endurance 3456G fifth wheel. I've had it about 8 months. The last time we had it camping was about 4weeks ago. I drained the two grey tanks and the black tank. Rinsed out the black tank and let it sit for about 20 mins to make sure it was empty. I filled the white tank about 2/3 full as my wife wanted to have water to clean the rv with in the coming weeks. I stopped at the rv a couple of days ago, started the generator and found the the white tank is at 1/3 full and the black tank is also 1/3 full. I had the battery turned off the entire time. I didn't think the white and black tanks were directly connected. I'd like to see if anyone has had the same issue. Or maybe if someone has a schematic of the plumbing for this rv. Any help would be appreciated.

Joshuar2059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Colorado
Lemme get this right. What you refer to as the "white tank" is the "fresh water" tank? There had better not be any connection between the two. On both my trailers the fresh water tank has its own low point drain.

The tank level instrumentation is about as accurate as flipping a quarter and stating a level. They are that good!!

I would get to place where I could drain and don't connect the black water drain tank to the drain...just hold it and have someone open the valve, and stand by, take a look at what's coming out and how long it runs. That should be a rough means of knowing if it was a third or a tank or not.

I would also drain the fresh water tank and see if the instrumentation still says 1/3 full.

In my Voltage Epic 3800 there is a 160 gallon fresh water tank. Two 48 gallon grey water tanks, and two 48 gallon black water tanks. Drain all five of them, leave the drains open...and some will still read they have something in them.

Really need a better level indicating system. I sure like my new Mopeka TankCheck LPG Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit a relatively accurate way of knowing how much propane is left in each tank.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Tennessee
Unless you verified it by draining the black tank, I highly doubt the fresh water tank is draining into it. If you went by the gauges then

In time you will learn to ignore those things(unless you like to do upgrades) It's not hard to tell where your levels are at without inaccurate gauges.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Did you happen to leave the pump on? I have inadvertently emptied the fresh water tank that way more than once. If the pump was left on and one of your toilets runs it is possible, unlikely, but possible.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #5

Washington
So today I stopped the rv with a bore scope. I put the camera down the toilet and found the black tank is still empty. I guess one on the sensors must be malfunctioning or dirty. Thanks everyone for the information.
Joshuar2059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuar2059 View Post
So today I stopped the rv with a bore scope. I put the camera down the toilet and found the black tank is still empty. I guess one on the sensors must be malfunctioning or dirty. Thanks everyone for the information.
I have a "wand" rinser for my black tank ...a few times a season and at the end of the season before winterizing I rinse the tank well with the wand ….that is the only time my gauges ever seem to read empty is after a good rinse
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I have a "wand" rinser for my black tank ...a few times a season and at the end of the season before winterizing I rinse the tank well with the wand ….that is the only time my gauges ever seem to read empty is after a good rinse
do you hook your "wand" up to the outside water and run a hose inside? I have a black tank "rinse" port but I am afraid it doesn't do a great job. I usually need to rinse and fill several times before ALL comes clean.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Massachusetts
[QUOTE=franktafl;63280]do you hook your "wand" up to the outside water and run a hose inside? I have a black tank "rinse" port but I am afraid it doesn't do a great job. I usually need to rinse and fill several times before ALL comes clean.[/QUOTE

yes separate hose from my drinking water hose to be safe ...I un it in the door of camper and insert wand into toilet .. then go out and turn on water so as to prevent a mess in camper if it leaks ….
I twist wand and raise ands lower in tank and it does a great job … and gauge sensors operate again as they should
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

Florida
[QUOTE=Mongo;63281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
do you hook your "wand" up to the outside water and run a hose inside? I have a black tank "rinse" port but I am afraid it doesn't do a great job. I usually need to rinse and fill several times before ALL comes clean.[/QUOTE

yes separate hose from my drinking water hose to be safe ...I un it in the door of camper and insert wand into toilet .. then go out and turn on water so as to prevent a mess in camper if it leaks ….
I twist wand and raise ands lower in tank and it does a great job … and gauge sensors operate again as they should
I have five hoses. Two for the water supply (I have a water softener so I need one to feed the softener and one short one to run to the RV), one for washing the black tanks, one for cleaning the RV and one for a spare. IN addition, I have TWO heated hoses for winter use... WHEW!... Too many but I don't like using the heated hoses all the time, too expensive.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote