Water tanks and lines in cold weather camping - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

Tennessee
Water tanks and lines in cold weather camping

We like to camp when it rather cold outside. We have the 213 RBSL. First travel trailer so we weren’t sure if it is possible to camp without our lines and tanks freezing. How do you all cold weather camp?

Camping Mamaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Florida
I purchased QUALITY hoses that are heated. IF it gets REAL COLD, i will fill the internal tank and shut off the external water. My RV now has insulation underneath and the floor and tanks are warmed by the internal furnace (propane). Occasionally, I have put heat lamps under the RV although, I think it is an exercise in futility for this RV. My last one did not have insulation under the trailer so it got relatively cold. One year, I forgot to winterize the spray port and it froze and the pipe ruptured and of course, the drains for the water system froze and I could not drain the fresh water tank or the water system (that was the reason for the heat lamps).

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Michigan
When I cold weather camp I don't use the lines, tanks, and pumps. I just use a couple of 5 gal water jugs.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Depends on your definition of cold and how your RV is set up...

I consider 40° cold I have camped in sub zero temperatures, we slept with out canteens to keep them from freezing.

In really cold weather (low's20's) or God forbid colder, your best bet is to drain the water system completely and use water coolers or gallon jugs.

Hopefully someone with a similar unit to yours will be able to give you some more specific advice.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Tennessee
I have the same camper and have camped when the nighttime temps were mid to upper 20's, and probably mid to upper 40's during the day. I just filled my water tank at the campground and just unhooked my city water and drained the hose at night. Then we had full access to toilets and sinks/shower at night.

That's not 100% necessary, I just had never tried my water pump out before. If it's going to be above freezing during the day, just unhook the city water at night or get a heated hose as mentioned.

If you have full hookups, some will open the gray valve and let a faucet slowly run during the night, i'm not a fan of that.