Water Lines/Tanks - Open or Closed in Storage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Arizona
Water Lines/Tanks - Open or Closed in Storage

I wanted to reach out to you all to get your thoughts on valve positioning during storage. Where I live I do not need to worry about winterizing much so my lines are empty while in storage. I personally have been leaving the fresh water tank drain valve open and water heater plug removed while in storage because I've been concerned with trapping moisture during the hot summer months. I am a little concerned that the dry heat will damage any seals and gaskets in the system though. Additionally, there are (2) lines (one white and one red) at the rear of my TT that blow off some water then are generally dry. I'd imagine that these are for the pressurized waterlines inside, correct? Should those be left open while in storage as well?

Lastly, I was always taught to leave some water in both the black and gray storage tanks (approx. 2-3 gallons). I would also put one drop-in in the black tank after dumping/cleaning. Is that a good general practice?

AZ_KODIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I used to leave the water heater plug out and the drain down valve open during the winter, mainly just to make sure I had winterized properly. The red and blue are the low point drains, I would drain them down as part of my winterizing then put the plugs back in so I didn't forget them. I would dump a half gallon or so of rv antifreeze in the tank so it could get down against the valves. For warm weather storage I drain the holding tanks and that is about it.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #3

Arizona
We leave all of our valves closed. We do not winterize anything living in the Phoenix area, but we do leave a few gallons of bottled water sitting open in the kitchen sink to help keep everything from being so dry in the Arizona heat. ( This was a tip that the storage facility told us when we moved here.)

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

Colorado
I wouldn't leave any valves open for any length of time. You'll get bugs and other critters entering them and building nests and other unwanted things that you'll have trouble removing.
amre2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote