Voltage freezing up - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Idaho
Voltage freezing up

I just bought a 2012 voltage 3900. Is anyone else having problems with there's freezing up? As soon as it drops below freezing every water line in this thing freezes solid. I pulled back part of the underbelly to see if there was any heat down there and it seemed pretty cold. I have had the furnace running constantly and 25 degrees outside this thing won't thaw out. Wishing I would have kept my old worn out Montana. Very disappointed in the voltage. I guess after get home I'm gonna have to drop the underbelly and insulate it with insulation board. Has anyone else done this?

Pwhitmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #2

New York
Have you winterized your rig? With temps @ 25F - you would be hard pressed not to have freezing pipes......just saying! This isn't a four season trailer and yes there may be some heat in the belly, but with the outside temps being below freezing...not sure it would do much good!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Idaho
It's not winterized, I'm living in it. With the furnace running there is no way it should freeze up so easily.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

Colorado
If the high's are 25 degree, I suspect the low's are getting into single digits (or lower). I agree 25 with a heated underbelly shouldn't be a problem but I bet the night time lows are killing you. And I bet the high of 25 is only for 3 hours or so in the day?
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #5

Idaho
Every time it drops below 20 it freezes up
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #6

Mississippi
If you are connected to city water could you drip water with your gray tank valves open? It shows on control panel I have 12V heat to my holding tanks, but have never tried that route, just let the water drip.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #7

Texas
We just went thru two 6 degrees in the am with highs in the day of 25 with no significant issues. Need to make sure you are getting ducted heat into belly as well as ensuring all hose penetrations are sealed up. We actually did a 4 day checkout/inspection in one of the worst snow storms of the year just outside Denver. While we werent planning to pick our new rig up during a snow storm, it gave us the confidence we would need to fulltime in cold environments. Cant speak for 2012 3900, but we bought ours with the arctic package.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
If you are connected to city water could you drip water with your gray tank valves open? It shows on control panel I have 12V heat to my holding tanks, but have never tried that route, just let the water drip.
We did the drip in our older three season fusion during a 10 day stretch night temps in the teens and had no problems.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #9

Idaho
Iam connected to city water, but I have seen way too many times peoples let the water drip and sewer line freeze and the water back up into the trailer, and flood there trailer. This trailer should be able to handle that weather easily. The inside is great, nice and warm. I don't think the underbelly is getting enough heat. I sprayed foam insulation in every hole and gap to keep the wind and cold out and heat in with no luck. I'm gonna drop the underbelly when I get home and check it out and insulate it better.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhitmans View Post
Iam connected to city water, but I have seen way too many times peoples let the water drip and sewer line freeze and the water back up into the trailer, and flood there trailer. This trailer should be able to handle that weather easily. The inside is great, nice and warm. I don't think the underbelly is getting enough heat. I sprayed foam insulation in every hole and gap to keep the wind and cold out and heat in with no luck. I'm gonna drop the underbelly when I get home and check it out and insulate it better.
Have you verified that you are getting ducted heat from furnace into belly? Based on dutchmans track record for installing ducting this was the first thing i would check.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #11

Idaho
That's what I'm thinking nmroper. I peeled back some of the underbelly in the front of the trailer and it did not feel warm in there at all. That was after I was froze up and had the furnace running non stop for 24 hours straight.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #12

Oklahoma
There's a picture or two around here that shows the water pipes touching the frame rails. That frame rail will sink the cold and transfer the cold to the pipes if they are touching.

Anything is possible under there so nothing is out of the question.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking nmroper. I peeled back some of the underbelly in the front of the trailer and it did not feel warm in there at all. That was after I was froze up and had the furnace running non stop for 24 hours straight.
Just came across the factory sales brochure for your trailer and it appears to have the same "all weather" package that mine has. It states the underbelly is heated. Definetly verify the ducting is not blocked. Your basement should be getting heat as well.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #14

Arizona
Subscribed.

Good Luck getting this cleared up!
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
I just bought a 2012 voltage 3900. Is anyone else having problems with there's freezing up? As soon as it drops below freezing every water line in this thing freezes solid. I pulled back part of the underbelly to see if there was any heat down there and it seemed pretty cold. I have had the furnace running constantly and 25 degrees outside this thing won't thaw out. Wishing I would have kept my old worn out Montana. Very disappointed in the voltage. I guess after get home I'm gonna have to drop the underbelly and insulate it with insulation board. Has anyone else done this?
I noticed that when my furnace is running that the bathroom floor is extremely warm. Another Voltage owner told me the same thing. What does your bathroom floor feel like?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
There's a picture or two around here that shows the water pipes touching the frame rails. That frame rail will sink the cold and transfer the cold to the pipes if they are touching.

Anything is possible under there so nothing is out of the question.
Here's the link to the facebook page where the scary pictures are.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Vo...74877899198538
Look for the posts submitted by Kelly Teed.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I noticed that when my furnace is running that the bathroom floor is extremely warm. Another Voltage owner told me the same thing. What does your bathroom floor feel like?
My 3800 has a metal transition in the bathroom floor that gets pretty warm. Also I've noticed the warm air discharge vent is not centered under the register thereby causing a blockage of air and probably making the transition warm. About half of the discharge vent is blocked off but I think I can find a larger register that will allow all of the warm air to rise into the room. I'll have to make the floor opening larger to accept the larger register but that won't cause any heartburn.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #18

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
My bathroom floor gets pretty warm also.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
When you drop your belly pan your going to find AIR. No insulation. I was shocked there was no insulation in the underbelly. I found coraplast covered in aluminum foil. Insulation would have been nice to find. I dont know where Voltage gets a insulation rating of R40 in the floor.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #20

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I dont know where Voltage gets a insulation rating of R40 in the floor.
I installed a gas line up into my pantry area. When going thru the floor I found 1/2" or maybe 3/4" plywood with about 3" of insulating foam sandwiched between another layer of thinner plywood. There was nothing below the flooring except heat ducts, water lines and electrical, then just the belly pan so it seems to me it would be hard to retain heat in that exposed area.