two pressure regulators needed? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #1

Utah
two pressure regulators needed?

We always use a pressure regulator when hooked up to a pressure water source. I think everyone probably does the same thing, and the regulators say about 40-50 psi...

My question is this: do I need to use a pressure regulator when hooking my sewer hose up to the black water tank backflush system? I don't know what pressure this portion of my trailer's system will take, but I hesitate to use the SAME pressure regulator as I used with our clean water hose.

Thoughts?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Illinois
I use the same size regulator (40) for the past 5 years. No issues. I don't think you run into issues until 70 psi or so. Just my opinion.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #3

Florida
I put a backflow preventer on the RV when I flush the black tank.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I use the same size regulator (40) for the past 5 years. No issues. I don't think you run into issues until 70 psi or so. Just my opinion.
Rusty
So do you use a regulator when using connected to the black tank back flush system? That is my question.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I put a backflow preventer on the RV when I flush the black tank.
I use a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker thingy too, whenever I am using my black water hose connected to a city source.

My question is if the trailer needs reduced pressure when hooked up to the black water hose to the black water flush system.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
I use a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker thingy too, whenever I am using my black water hose connected to a city source.

My question is if the trailer needs reduced pressure when hooked up to the black water hose to the black water flush system.
I would run the same supply. Should be enough water, in my humble opinion. Don't want to risk blowing a hole in anything by over pressure.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would run the same supply. Should be enough water, in my humble opinion. Don't want to risk blowing a hole in anything by over pressure.
Agreed. So do you use a second/separate pressure reducer so as to not be the same one you use for clean/drinking water?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Not needed on flush system

I have run a regulator on the "City Water" connector. Most of the time it is not needed. On rare occasions over-pressure could damage faucet valves, check valves, pump, and other fittings and devices. In trailers that are aging, flexible pipe deteriorates and can burst. The regulator delays bursting pipes for a few years.

I do not use the regulator on the Black Water Tank Flush connections. There are no valves to damage. Check valves do carry full input pressure. The free flow of flush water does not usually allow build up of pressure.

Bad things can happen, but the risk is low.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Agreed. So do you use a second/separate pressure reducer so as to not be the same one you use for clean/drinking water?
no, same one, safeguard with two backflows.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I have run a regulator on the "City Water" connector. Most of the time it is not needed. On rare occasions over-pressure could damage faucet valves, check valves, pump, and other fittings and devices. In trailers that are aging, flexible pipe deteriorates and can burst. The regulator delays bursting pipes for a few years.

I do not use the regulator on the Black Water Tank Flush connections. There are no valves to damage. Check valves do carry full input pressure. The free flow of flush water does not usually allow build up of pressure.

Bad things can happen, but the risk is low.
Sorry, meant to say Check valves do not carry full input pressure.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #11

Illinois
Yes, I use a regulator. Can't hurt, needed or not.
Rusty
Old 10-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #12

Utah
Quote:
Yes, I use a regulator. Can't hurt, needed or not.
Rusty
I think it COULD hurt if you had cross contamination. We were told to use two separate hoses for city water vs black water flush, but we are to use the same pressure regulator? That is my question....if folks are using two separate regulators or not.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

Illinois
Yes, different regulator and hose, although from my wandering the campsites over the past 5 years, I see most people using a different hose, but hooked up to a "Y" on the same regulator, which would be okay I guess if there was a back flow valve on the hose. But if that were the case, why not just put a back flow valve on the black tank flush and use the same hose? I guess whatever you're comfortable with. Guy behind me has no regulator, no back flow and uses the same hose, and is alive to talk about it!
Rusty
Old 10-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #14

California
I do not use a pressure regulator on my black hose when using the built in black tank flush because I figure since the water is always flowing there is not going to be much pressure building.

On the city water where the vast majority of the time the water is not flowing because all faucets are off I think the regulator is a must. All that pressure is constant when the water pressure is building in the pipes which is where the danger is when faucets are closed.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #15

Utah
Quote:
Yes, different regulator and hose, although from my wandering the campsites over the past 5 years, I see most people using a different hose, but hooked up to a "Y" on the same regulator, which would be okay I guess if there was a back flow valve on the hose. But if that were the case, why not just put a back flow valve on the black tank flush and use the same hose? I guess whatever you're comfortable with. Guy behind me has no regulator, no back flow and uses the same hose, and is alive to talk about it!
Rusty
Good point. People do lots of weird things. Also, you don't know what the people did just before you hooked to that faucet! Mainly, I was just curious what the 'best practice' is. When we bought this first trailer last summer, they crammed many things into our minds and shopping cart (for sales, I'm sure). But we were told to keep the hoses separate, which I would therefore imagine included a separate regulator. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #16

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I do not use a pressure regulator on my black hose when using the built in black tank flush because I figure since the water is always flowing there is not going to be much pressure building.

On the city water where the vast majority of the time the water is not flowing because all faucets are off I think the regulator is a must. All that pressure is constant when the water pressure is building in the pipes which is where the danger is when faucets are closed.
I tend to agree. Plus, sometimes you WANT better pressure when flushing/rising the tanks. Hmm.... Good thoughts.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #17

Alabama
If you have a black water flush port, you already have a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker built in. Should be no need for a second one. Also if unless you have an old trailer with PBX or a new one with Chinese PEX, you should be able to handle 90 lbs. of water pressure if properly installed. Usually leaks or bursts come at cracked screw on connections because of some tight fisted tech during assembly.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #18

California
I do not use a pressure regulator with my back flush attachment. I want as much pressure and as rapid back fill as possible. I use separate hoses and a back flow preventer. If you have an in tank rinse system, you might want to use a pressure regulator to prevent damage to that system.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #19

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
If you have a black water flush port, you already have a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker built in. Should be no need for a second one. Also if unless you have an old trailer with PBX or a new one with Chinese PEX, you should be able to handle 90 lbs. of water pressure if properly installed. Usually leaks or bursts come at cracked screw on connections because of some tight fisted tech during assembly.
Thank you. We routinely see water systems where we can at 90-120 psi pressure, so that is why I may use a sewer-only pressure reducer on the backwater flush port built into the trailer. For pressure reduction, not for backflow prevention.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:26 AM   #20

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will59 View Post
I do not use a pressure regulator with my back flush attachment. I want as much pressure and as rapid back fill as possible. I use separate hoses and a back flow preventer. If you have an in tank rinse system, you might want to use a pressure regulator to prevent damage to that system.
Agreed on all points. I do NOT use a pressure reducer on the external backflush attachment as I want all the spray pressure/velocity I can get. I DO use a backflow preventer on the hose when using the external backflush attachment.