Strange Black Water Tank Configuration - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Tennessee
Strange Black Water Tank Configuration

Just started using our Aspen Trail camper. Black water tank clogged at the toilet. Looked down into toilet and saw a black pipe, about 3" diameter, that extends down from toilet bottom almost to the bottom of the tank. Space between the end of the pipe and tank bottom is so small it easily clogs.

Anyone know why the black pipe is needed and if I could shorten it to open the gap between the pipe and tank bottom?

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Just started using our Aspen Trail camper. Black water tank clogged at the toilet. Looked down into toilet and saw a black pipe, about 3" diameter, that extends down from toilet bottom almost to the bottom of the tank. Space between the end of the pipe and tank bottom is so small it easily clogs.

Anyone know why the black pipe is needed and if I could shorten it to open the gap between the pipe and tank bottom?
Did you put water in your black tank BEFORE you started using it?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:

It is needed but I doubt the end should be at the bottom of the tank.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
It is needed but I doubt the end should be at the bottom of the tank.
If they don't put water in the tank, that may be yuk buildup
Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:

Ours is pretty far down also. Maybe 4-6 inches from bottom. The only problem it has caused is when not enough flush water is used. In an attempt to conserve fresh water. The TP does crate a TeePee haha. ClOG!

Only time a problem when dry camping or no sewer connection at campsite.

Good luck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
If they don't put water in the tank, that may be yuk buildup
Yuk build up, fella could stick his hand down there and smoosh it up to see where the pipe ends.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Yuk build up, fella could stick his hand down there and smoosh it up to see where the pipe ends.
not gonna shake your hand if i ever meet you. I didn't know you had to put water in the tank when we first started camping... found out the hard way but used a long stick to "move" things around.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
not gonna shake your hand if i ever meet you. I didn't know you had to put water in the tank when we first started camping... found out the hard way but used a long stick to "move" things around.

C'mon Frank. I'm left handed, most of the time.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
C'mon Frank. I'm left handed, most of the time.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #10

Tennessee
They're called mashin' sticks, everybody who camps should have one.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #11

Tennessee
Thanks for the follow-up questions and comments. We studied about the eccentricities of using the black water tank and did add water before using. Were on only a three day campout and wasn't worried about adding too much water. My brother who is an experienced RV'r said he didn't have a pipe like we have and said ours appeared to be way to close to the tank bottom.

Just wondered if there is some reason the pipe should be that long and if we would cause some other problem by cutting off a few inches.

Is it common to have to use a stick to keep things moving?
Old 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Florida
I felt really stupid because I asked the maintenance guy at Grandfather Mountain RV Camp about how I could get a toilet unstopped. it was the first time staying in an RV. he went over and cut a stick off of a nearby tree and said "try this". I then did some research and found out what happened.. DOH!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #13

Tennessee
Not sure how deep my tank is but the black pipe isn't anymore than 5-6" long
Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Not sure how deep my tank is but the black pipe isn't anymore than 5-6" long
Very interesting. Haven't measured yet but can tell by looking mine is at least 3 times that length. My brother said it could be that the toilet and pipe come standard from the manufacturer with a long pipe to fit deep tanks. As my rig is on the smaller size, they just didn't customize the pipe length for my particular tank. Sounds like a plausible theory.

Wonder if the function of the pipe is to keep the waste from sloshing up into the toilet base when traveling.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Very interesting. Haven't measured yet but can tell by looking mine is at least 3 times that length. My brother said it could be that the toilet and pipe come standard from the manufacturer with a long pipe to fit deep tanks. As my rig is on the smaller size, they just didn't customize the pipe length for my particular tank. Sounds like a plausible theory.

Wonder if the function of the pipe is to keep the waste from sloshing up into the toilet base when traveling.
Doesn't your toilet close off completely?
Old 07-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:

If you were to pull the toilet off the base you'd have the toilet, no pipe is attached to it. The pipe is attached to the floor flange and then goes into the tank.
The toilet should have a ball valve that is closed until you step on the flush valve unless you have something really really strange.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
My brother said it could be that the toilet and pipe come standard from the manufacturer with a long pipe to fit deep tanks. As my rig is on the smaller size, they just didn't customize the pipe length for my particular tank. Sounds like a plausible theory. .

I believe that. I had a stuck Black Tank release cable. Would not budge. Took the liner off under the TT. The cable was at least twice as long as needed. The answer? They a made a 18o degree bend with it.

Wonder why it got stuck??
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #18

Michigan
Does the flange hook to the 3"pipe? Normally it would be a 4" pipe going into the tank and terminate just into the tank. That said, Dutchman does some strange things to save money. I had a 2008 35' and they ran the bathroom sink into the black water tank instead of the grey water with the shower to save a foot of pipe and an elbow. The pipe should be close to the top so the effluent will flow away.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #19

North Carolina
I'm going to guess the black pipe is a bit long. Based in looking at the toilet pipes in the 3 campers I have owned they don't normally go that far down in the tank.
Witt84z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #20

Florida
I always put water into the bowl prior to pooing! Helps the flushing and almost always only need a single flush!

davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote