Soft rubber hoses in plumbing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Louisiana
Soft rubber hoses in plumbing

Some of the folks over on the Grand Design Forum are having issues with soft rubber hoses used in conjunction with PEX components leaking and some are even busting. A few of those folks have even changed their rubber hose out to PEX pipe on their own. Does anyone here know if Dutchmen uses soft rubber hose in the plumbing systems on the Voltage Toy Haulers? If they do has there been problems with those hoses busting and or seeping at the fittings?

T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
Some of the folks over on the Grand Design Forum are having issues with soft rubber hoses used in conjunction with PEX components leaking and some are even busting. A few of those folks have even changed their rubber hose out to PEX pipe on their own. Does anyone here know if Dutchmen uses soft rubber hose in the plumbing systems on the Voltage Toy Haulers? If they do has there been problems with those hoses busting and or seeping at the fittings?

The only rubber hose I've seen is the cross over hose between regulators. There are some Nylon wrapped hoses that serve the faucets but they aren't rubber.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:46 AM   #3

Arizona
I had to fix a leak at a PEX connection and haven't seen any soft tubing. One thing I do at every camping stop is to measure the water pressure with a gauge. Pressure reducer goes on if above 50psi. We were at a KOA in Salinas CA three weeks ago and the water pressure was 100psi, never seen pressure so high. Coach next to us was leaking and had no visible pressure reducer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

Wisconsin
The Kodiak Cub has soft plastic nylon reinforced hoses in several places. I don't think "rubber" would not be used for water system plumbing.
The plastic is used to connect the toilet to PECs, kitchen and bath sinks to PECs, and water pump to PECs. These are all places where relieving stress on fixture fittings is important. It is a definite advantage connecting to the pump as PECs would transmit loud vibrations when the pump is running.
The plastic is more flexible and thus easier to connect and route in tight places. PECs would require more fittings and precision measuring and cutting in those places.
PECs is freeze resistant. I don't know if the plastic is. PECs fittings may not be freeze resistant.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #5

California
I have had a problem with those supply lines.

I had one of those woven nylon supply lines burst behind the shower in my 2011 Kodiak. The faucets in the kitchen and bath used pex all the way to fixture. In the shower control they used the supply lines that are flexible like you see in a house for the last 22”. However, the supply line manufacturer has a label on it that says it should be inspected monthly and not installed in an enclosed area, exactly what was done. It also recommended replacing annually. The hot side is the one that failed while my wife was taking a shower. You can imagine the mess it made before I could get the water shut off, we were on city water, so lots of flow. By the way, I never hook up to City water without a regulator. We had the repair man run pex all the way to the shower control as well as installing 90s to relieve any stress. With the way things are hidden in these rvs, I don’t think these fexible lines should be used at all.
grapeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 AM   #6

Louisiana
I am trying to add a picture of the hose that they are having issues with in the Grand Design's. Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4793  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #7

Louisiana
Another picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	4794  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:04 AM   #8

Louisiana
It is mostly hot water hoses they are having issues with also. I was REALLY HOPING there was none of this being used in the Voltage units.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:36 AM   #9

California
That was the case with us. It failed near the fitting on one end. That looks like what is happening with your line. I think the the changes in temperature from cold to hot affects the pvc liner & woven nylon cover. I changed both hot & cold. Remember that it’s straight hot water until the fixture where it is mixed with cold to lower it. I would recommend removing the woven nylon lines wherever they can’t be checked easily. Think of the damage it would do if it burst while you were out for the day
grapeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
Another picture

Grand Design huh? I thought we had problems.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote