Slide leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Slide leak

Recently discovered the floor beneath the dinette was wet. dinette is in left side of slide. anyone run into a leaky slide? I have caulked a few things. we camped this past weekend and slide was out. Rained a lot saturday night and the slide floor was dry sunday when we got home.
Rained a lot sunday night while slide was closed and the floor was soaked inside.
Suggest away.

jhlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Pennsylvania

Old 07-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlapinski View Post
Recently discovered the floor beneath the dinette was wet. dinette is in left side of slide. anyone run into a leaky slide? I have caulked a few things. we camped this past weekend and slide was out. Rained a lot saturday night and the slide floor was dry sunday when we got home.
Rained a lot sunday night while slide was closed and the floor was soaked inside.
Suggest away.

Pretty strange since you really have NO seals that should just leak on that floor. While it is closed, the seals at the top and such would probably not leak water on the floor unless it's going around the seal and getting in front of the slide. I would check the window since the angle of the slide is different when it is in than when it is out and check to see if the slide is directly against the gaskets all around.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Illinois
Do a quick check of the seals on the side of the slides. If they are not lubricated and soft, sometimes they twist when you open or close. Possible leak there. Just a guess.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #5

Texas
What Frank's said. Mine leaked at my slide and come to find a out the window on the end of the ode was leaking. Recaulk and no more leak.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
thanks all
I have caulked it and we will see
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #7

Massachusetts
not to be a side question but cant find thread on what to use to lube slide gaskets ?? mine stick to sides and make weird noises
thanks
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
not to be a side question but cant find thread on what to use to lube slide gaskets ?? mine stick to sides and make weird noises
thanks
Some say baby powder will keep 'em from sticking.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
thanks
Oh no, he didn't open this can of worms again....

I forget what I use but I can't forget the fruity smell.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Some say baby powder will keep 'em from sticking.
It works GREAT! keeps them from sticking amazingly enough. One application is good for about six months.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #11

Illinois
Don't remember the brand name of the spray for rubber seals. Any camping box store and Amazon has it. I'll get the name next time I run out to the RV storage lot.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
It works GREAT! keeps them from sticking amazingly enough. One application is good for about six months.
thanks
now I remember reading that
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
I have silicon spray, make sure it is pure silicone no petroleum distillates to eat the rubber. I spray a bit on a rag and wipe the seals with it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #14

Arkansas
Quote:
Suggest away.
I had a 2008 Dutchmen Denali. I had problems with the big slide out (dinette and couch) getting misaligned. I took it in to an authorized Dutchmen warranty service center that should have been called Wayne's World, instead of their real name. (Wink, wink.) They realigned it several times, but never fixed it. I continued to investigate, but didn't figure out until after the warranty was out, that the slide out was leaking. Where the slide out roof meets the sidewall on the top edge of the wall, the factory had drilled holes and never installed screws, nor sealed the holes. This is hidden in the transition trim up there and covered by a piece of rubberized trim that is cosmetic, not weather tight. Since there was not a proper seal here, when it really rained, water leaked into the wall of the slide out. It then ran down the inside of the wall, leaving no evidence inside the camper. So it ran down the slide out wall, on the inside between the inner and outer wall, past the sub floor to the bottom floor of the slide out, which got soft and allowed the slide out mechanisms to keep shifting. It was leaking when it left the factory. Sometimes.

Check your trim at the top of the slide out where the slide out roof and the slide out wall meet.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Suggest away.

It took me a while to found out from when the leak was coming from , mine was coming from the underneath of the slide , water was running on the side and get inside of the slide from the bottom part of it , and wet the floor of the slide out which contains the refrigerator , dinette and recliners ..
I never noticed it until one day when i noticed the refrigerator was slighty slanted to his rear , and maybe an 1/4th of a inch of the carpet was wet on 2 sides ( as the refrigerator sits on the right corner of the slide out )

Technician removed the outside cardboard cover and replace it with a aluminium panel and caulked the whole thing , since then no more leaks .
affenqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #16

Oregon
Slide Leak

I understand its been raining heavily in Pennsylvania. Just curious, did you manage to repair the slide out leak, and determine what was the cause? (I had a 2012 Denali 289RKS with the big slide, and when extended it too leaked at the right roof corner into the overhead cabinets and down the exterior wall. The original caulking was deteriorating. I had a local dealer remove all the old caulk and completely clean out and redo all of the seams, which resolved the problem. I bought the trailer in 2013 when it was 18 months old, so there was no warranty coverage. I sold the trailer to another private party in Feb 2018.)

One thing you should consider is whether the trailer is level when stored.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
thanks for aall the advice and stories.. It is stored level. I caulked the window and that seems to have taken care of the problem. We have more rain forecast for this week so we shall see.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #18

Oklahoma
I always make sure the slide outs are tilted, bubble on putter line of level, when parked, and on mine when slide is out, one can see inside of top from sofa end and bugs, bugs and crap, either vac. Or blow out with air, because one bug can break rubber seal. AND, for sure check on top of slides before moving back inside, more so if parking under trees, and wind and rain can blow and stick leaves on top of slides. Some trees have worms that eats leaves and poops on roofs and if it all gets in one spot can cause seals to leak.
What I've learned in 1st. Yr.
djames37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
UPDATE

Leak is back. Once again when slide is closed. /never when open. I noticed on the bottom of slide there are some screws with rust on them going into the bottom slide base. I wonder if water could be going aroud slide seal and "hanging " in seal system to enter this way? It only happens when it is closed and it rains very heavy.
I am going to silicone the screw heads underneath and see what happens
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #20

Arkansas
Although my slide leaked all the time, there was only evidence of a leak when the slide a closed and it rained hard enough for water to build up inside the slide and leak through the bottom of the slide into the camper. Sounds like you have a seam or screw hole somewhere in the side of the camper that is leaking into the sidewall and draining out the bottom. Siliconing the screws on the bottom of the slide out is only going to seal up the natural drain and trap the water inside between the subflooring and the floor.