Recent Dutchmen Owners can't drain tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #1

Washington
Unhappy Recent Dutchmen Owners can't drain tank

We just bought a used 99 Dutchmen Lite 24'. We can't find a petcock to drain the fresh water tank. There is a hose coming out under the tank, but there is no valve on it. How do we drain the fresh water tank to sanitize it? All our previous trailers had an accessible valve and draining the tank was easy. Am I missing something? The tank is located under the bed and is very hard to get to.

wallysdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #2

Nevada
Is there a cap on that line that is coming out near fresh water tank? if so that more than likely the fresh water tank.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

South Carolina
Both of the TT that we have had recently have had a plug in the bottom of the fresh water tank. This requires getting under the TT to remove the plug. The plug is about 1/2 inch.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Washington
No cap, just a small hose leading to the tank but no valve on the hose or the tank
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Montana
My fresh water tank drain is a small hose out the bottom of the TT just as the OP describes. The hose has a threaded cap, remove cap to drain. No petcock valve, although I've heard of folks converting to one.

If your's is the same but the cap is missing, try opening the outside water heater cover and see if has been stashed in there. That's where the dealer stashed mine after winterizing it before I bought it and I've kept that practice, as well as reading about others with the same experience.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysdeals View Post
No cap, just a small hose leading to the tank but no valve on the hose or the tank
You say a small hose leading to the tank? Leading to the tank from where?
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
We just bought a used 99 Dutchmen Lite 24'. We can't find a petcock to drain the fresh water tank. There is a hose coming out under the tank, but there is no valve on it. How do we drain the fresh water tank to sanitize it? All our previous trailers had an accessible valve and draining the tank was easy. Am I missing something? The tank is located under the bed and is very hard to get to.
Do you have water in it now? The pipe coming out of the bottom should have a cap on it. Mine didn't come with a valve, just a cap.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #8

Washington
The valve is under the bed next to the tank. I also found that the hose was clogged with mud. All is good now and I can sanitize the tank and refill it.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
The valve is under the bed next to the tank. I also found that the hose was clogged with mud. All is good now and I can sanitize the tank and refill it.
Good to know, the valve inside will save you from road travel breakage, and possibly some freezing situations. If only you were told about it!
My new TT came with a drain tube and a cap. I screwed on an under-faucet, quarter-turn valve, and it works fine. But it hangs down kind of far. Something else to worry about! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Good to know, the valve inside will save you from road travel breakage, and possibly some freezing situations. If only you were told about it!
My new TT came with a drain tube and a cap. I screwed on an under-faucet, quarter-turn valve, and it works fine. But it hangs down kind of far. Something else to worry about! LOL
I am going to shorten all the lines that hang down on mine, the guys installing it must have gotten paid by the foot! I have a couple that stick out over 16" which is crazy. I do like the idea of adding a valve on the inside to avoid road damage and freezing for the fresh water tank... off to the mod list.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote