purifying well water - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Washington
purifying well water

We're getting close to moving our Dutchman 30RL Classic to our building lot where construction is just starting. The well for the house is in but pump will be installed in coming weeks. I thought about using the EverPure system to purify, but that only has a flow rate of 1/2 gallon per minute. Currently, in an RV park, we have city water going direct -- not using the RV tank, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
The everpure below removes just about everything, including Giardia. Obviously since our lot is out in the woods a bit we don't expect Giardia. I'm wondering if it would be simpler to put some device just on the kitchen and bath faucets, although in the bathroom that would have to go under the sink I think.
Or we try to find out what the purification plan is for the well water once the house is finished.
The other idea would be to run two lines to the RV from the well: we'd use one to fill the tank every few days and we'd add bleach or whatever. The other would be direct to the "city-water" inlet on the RV. But how do you make sure the water tank is all that supplies the two sinks where you drink water?

Everpure Water Treatment System - Shurflo EV925205 - Water Filtration - Camping World

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #2

Washington
This looks much easier. We aren't keeping the RV after home construction so I'd like to keep it simple. This just goes under the kitchen sink in the cold water line with no faucet installation. For the 5 months we'll be living there we could deal with filling water bottles from the kitchen sink to use for tooth-brushing etc at the bathroom sink. It doesn't mention Giardia but "greatly reduces" bacteria.
Hydro Life Bacteria Fighter undercounter water filter
Hydro Life Undercounter Filter Kit - Camco G-2621 - Water Filtration - Camping World

Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Texas
I follow an old saying from growing up in El Paso, TX...
"Don't drink the water" (in Mexico)

This still holds true for me today in Midland, TX...
the tap water is so bad, everyone drinks bottled water.

I always carry a cooler stocked with bottled drinking water
and a five gallon jug for cooking.

That leaves my fresh tanks just for washing up.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

British Columbia
Hey Burnhaven,

My wife won a 3M under-sink filter at a NASCAR race last year. It found a new home under the sink in the camper.

I like it because it uses a standard filter and you can get replacement filters at about half the cost of an RV store at most big box stores.

You can also get filters for different water conditions, bacteria, sediment, heavy metals, etc.

I don't know what the flow rate is, but it fills the coffee pot fast enough and we get plenty of water coming out of the shower head.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

Washington
Some sort of filter sounds good, if it removes most common things that will make you sick. Bottled water would be fine for a week but not for 4 - 5 months.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Have you had the water checked for critters or contaminents? Could be some good stuff there that doesn't need excessive filtering, if any.

I drank Mexican well water for 20 years and nothing happened to me to me to m
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
Some sort of filter sounds good, if it removes most common things that will make you sick. Bottled water would be fine for a week but not for 4 - 5 months.
We live in a rural area and have a well. The water has been tested fine for contaminates but is very hard. We don't care for the taste for drinking, making coffee, cooking, etc. We have a couple 5 gallon and 3 gallon water jugs that we can refill for .40 cents a gallon at the local grocery store. It works fine for our house and in the RV. You can buy 2 gallon jugs of water with a dispenser for the fridge. We also have a hand siphon pump that fits on a 5gallon jug. We do use the well water for bathing, washing, etc. as well as in our RV for the same and use bottled water for drinking and cooking. We do have a potassium based water softener on our house. All this has worked fine for us for the past 16 years
Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #8

Florida
Our house is on a well and the water is awful. We have never drank or cooked with the water. We initially bought deer park in the 2.5 gallon jugs that have an easy pour spout on them. This got expensive.m I did a ton of research and settled on a Berkey water filter. Mother filter so fine they are considered purifiers. There is a big difference between filter and purifier. The up front cost is quite high, but the filters will last for 3000 gallons. We have had ours for just over 2 years now. We have it on the counter top at home and it packs up nicely, and goes with us every camping trip. My brother has the same Berkey and has filtered water from his pond without any issues.

Berkey BK4X2-BB Big Berkey Filtration System with 2 Black Filters and 2 Fluoride Filters - Kitchen Countertop Water Filters - Amazon.com

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote