POOP SCOOP... monitor panel light reads FULL.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #1

Florida
POOP SCOOP... monitor panel light reads FULL....

but we emptied it! Could the float be stuck, or could the monitor panel on 'GW', a Coleman TT, be the problem? Are these panels reliable most of the time? We can't access behind this panel box to check it out.

Who has the scoop on Dutchmen's TT poop shoots?

GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBushhog View Post
but we emptied it! Could the float be stuck, or could the monitor panel on 'GW', a Coleman TT, be the problem? Are these panels reliable most of the time? We can't access behind this panel box to check it out.

Who has the scoop on Dutchmen's TT poop shoots?
The problem is most likely a bit of TP hung up on the sensors, giving you a false reading.

Been fighting it for the last 4k miles. I know the tank is empty, dump it in the morning and it still reads full.

The common fix is to have the tank half + full, dump. Bag of ice cubes in to the toilet and go for a drive.

Second bag of ice this trip, I got it to got from full to 3/4.

You just fill it a little fuller add a bag of ice and check it. You know how many gallond, and how much you use it, keep an eye on it use the ice trick and it should get back to where it should be. EMPTY

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #3

Oklahoma
The tank flush works for me. I'm a little reluctant to put ice in the tank because I don't know where the sensors are or what they are. Might be a chance of ice damaging them.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The tank flush works for me. I'm a little reluctant to put ice in the tank because I don't know where the sensors are or what they are. Might be a chance of ice damaging them.
Ask around, I think you will find that this is the standard practice.

There is more than a hand full of posts sying the same thing.

The way I see it, it's broke. Fix it.

Gone from 4 lights to 3 and I got a pocketfull of $2.50 for the ice.

Ifthat don't work, it's broke and I'll fix it. Just to stop the "your sure you emptied the tanks this morning".

Not that my wife is a nag, but she sweats the little stuff.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #5

Oklahoma
I only have to satisfy myself the tanks are empty so if it hangs at 1/2 or 3/4 I don't sweat it. Just for giggles and grins I'll hook up the hose to the flush port and flush the tanks out.

I've read where several people use all kinds of methods, including the ice trick. It's just not a method for me, sort of like driving drunk. That's standard practice too, just not for everyone.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I only have to satisfy myself the tanks are empty so if it hangs at 1/2 or 3/4 I don't sweat it. Just for giggles and grins I'll hook up the hose to the flush port and flush the tanks out.

I've read where several people use all kinds of methods, including the ice trick. It's just not a method for me, sort of like driving drunk. That's standard practice too, just not for everyone.
Tried that to. Hooked up the flush hose straight to the city water, ran it for an hour before we hit the road. Guess what, no change. I guess I should quit using that crappy RV paper, that they gave us as a sample. Never had the problem when we used the good old soft one ply from the market.

Yep, I drink, but I don't drive drunk. That was a hard lesson I learned 50 years ago when 4 of my friends died hitting the wall when the driver was drunk.

Yea I know how much is going down the drain and yes I always dump long before we have the brown flood. But it would be nice form something to work the way it's intended.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #7

Texas
I had an Allegro Bay motorhome that started showing the honeytank at 3/4's full. I used ice several times before it started reading 1/4 full when empty. I don't think the ice can hurt anything but I am not sure if it helped or not. I would definetely try it again on my trailer before I turned it over to a dealer and dropped several hundred to have them pull the tank.
Good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #8

Florida
Ice, eh? Cooool! Crushed or cubed?

You guys are great, who would have 'thunk' to use ice?

Does anyone see potential problem(s) if a little dish soap goes into the commode (tank already emptied), followed by a splash of water, then wait? Thorough flushing after 'soak-time'.

Mrs. suggests firing some WD40 down that shoot.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #9

Delaware
Quote:

Does anyone see potential problem(s) if a little dish soap goes into the commode (tank already emptied), followed by a splash of water, then wait? Thorough flushing after 'soak-time'.

Camping World produces a video series on Youtube called RV Educaton 101. They used the ice method (a lot-4-5 bags) and said if that to use liquid fabric softener with some water (I think i cup and 1 gallon) and dump that in the tank. Then fill it with water and let it sit.

I have not tried either method so I cannot indicate how either works...Just putting it out there.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

New York
We often use the ice method and we also have used Calgon water softner and Downy fabric softner when I have not been able to find the Calgon.

Anything that has a lubricating factor to it would help!

DH and I empty, then flush (power flush built into black tank)....then add a lot ice for the trip home (we usually bring a cooler of ice with us for drinks, etc (have access to an ice machine) and what is left gets dumped into the holding tank)......we have had much luck with the monitor panel not giving false readings!

You can always use a product called Happy Camper Plus (??), it is a multi step process, but heard a lot of great results from people who have used it!

Good luck!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:

I wouldn't use WD 40, of any other of the spray on lubricants. Several of them contain nasty ingredients that could cause the rubber seals to fail. I that happens at the flush valve you will have a very odorous bathroom.

The only thing that I use around rubber is Silicon. Way back in the '80s, I got my mitts on a gallon of the stuff that was used to clean and lubricate the rubber on a machine we used. Wish I could get some more but the company is now defunct.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #12

Florida
Thank you each for help to unclog the Bushhog.....

We'll let y'all know how things come out!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #13

Florida
I have used liquid dishwasher detergent in the tanks to clean them out. Just fill to about 2/3 full of water and a cup or so of detergent and drive to your next campground and then empty.
Make sure you do not use Dawn or some other detergent for washing dishes by hand. Use the detergent for putting in dishwashers.

hbens is offline   Reply With Quote