Outside Propane Quick Disconnect - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
VIP Member

Outside Propane Quick Disconnect

So our 2010 Dutchmen 25C-GS came with a quick disconnect for the propane line on the tongue of the trailer. Early last year I found (what I thought) was a quick disconnect male fitting that would fit this female fitting that came with shutoff and was begging to be used.

So while on vacation stopped at a Camping World in Alabama. They had a small propane bar-b-q in close out and I thought it would put that female propane quick disconnect to good use.

The male fitting I purchased was too small. Tried a couple of camping outlets with no success. The last RV shop I went to, suggested I try a propane shop. Back to local business and talked to the propane dealer in our county. He had quick disconnects, but not that size. To heck with it, I now have the bar-b-q pit, its time to burn steaks.

When I bought the unit, I got a nice case and a 12 foot hose with the correct Bar-b-q pit fitting on one end and a fitting to hook directly to a 20 or 30 lb tank, but I've got this fitting on my trailer.

So I cut the fitting off the 12 foot hose. Now I made it 11 ft., but thank God I didn't cut it right next to the fitting. Got some new gas plumbing fittings at the local hardware store. Removed the original quick disconnect from the trailer and installed a new fitting with what I purchased.

Looked good, tested no leaks. Hooked up to new Bar-b-q pit to burn off newness and prep for some test steaks in the backyard.

20 minutes later, it is still not in the medium range of the new grill.
What the hey? Maybe now I know why the Bar-b-q was on clearance sale. But wait, it has the ability to hook up a butane bottle to it. Could it be that the pit is set up to use its own regulator from the 20lb. tank and the regulator on the trailer reduces the pressure too much?

Butane bottle worked great! Pork Steaks were fanatastic! What the heck is the quick disconnect fitting for on the Dutchmen? Why couldn't I find a compatable male fitting? I'm sure I can plumb around the regulator and create another quick disconnect to use one of the bottles. I can use that original fitting with another quick disconnect male fitting and disconnect one of the propane bottles when I want to use it, but is the quick disconnect on the trailer for? Propane lantern, 2 burner camping stove? There is enough pressure for the 3 burner stove inside, so maybe it is enough for a camping stove, just not a bar-b-q pit?

Ah, the mysteries of life.

2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
I have the same quick connect/disconnect on our Kodiak. It is regulated from the 20# tanks so it already comes out at a low pressure. I had a hose made up and connected it to our Road Trip grill using the assembly for disposable bottles. Didn't work and found that the assembly for the disposable bottle fitting is regualted too. So I ordered another regulator assembly from Coleman and removed the regulator from the assembly. Then I added some fittings to the assembly to connect to my hose and now it works great! Now I can connect it to the trailer or use the disposable bottles.

The propane store had the quick connect fittings, but they did not work on the quick connect/disconnect on the trailer. I had to get the correct fitting from our RV dealer.

You can see the hose setup at http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...grill-227.html

Dave.

2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #3

Ohio
I have the same and have my standard grill that came with my Kodiak and this RVQ II Both
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvq2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	275  
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
VIP Member

On this and other sites, I've learned that many people have made modifications so that equipment can work. Personally, I find it ridiculous that modifications have to be made. However, I guess it is nice to have a fitting put on with pre-regulated pressure, but I struggle to come up with a value of tearing other equipment apart.

My plan is to create another fitting that will come off of one of the propane tanks, but wait wasn't that what I had before I cut the hose? And it is already portable.

Final thoughts -The fitting that came on the trailer is useless.
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Florida
I had a quick disconnect near the rear wheel, I used it to plug in the outside stove..I also have an outside BBQ grill, I moved the disconnect a little more toward the front, put a tee on it and added another quick disconnect to it..Now I have 2 of them so I can use the stove and grill at the same time..I believe they are low pressure after the regulater near the tanks...
Anderson Hitch
Coneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

Illinois
wow thats alot of trouble,i go caveman style tripod over da fire. uga boga me like fire
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thumbs up

0625...... good one. I hope u didn't date "Caveman Style"........Uga Boga

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #8

Illinois
nooooo my wife wouldnt let me drag her around by her hair hahahahaha

flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote