Odor from standpipe - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2015, 02:55 AM   #1

Kansas
Odor from standpipe

We've recently been noticing gaseous smells coming from the standpipe. Can someone explain how this occurs? Can it be treated like a p-trap by pouring water into it? What else could I do to get rid of this smell? Thanks!

Jerry & Lisa Hooper
Marley and Gypsy
2015 Dutchman Voltage 3970
2015 Chevrolet 3500HD High Country

JerryHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:16 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHooper View Post
We've recently been noticing gaseous smells coming from the standpipe. Can someone explain how this occurs? Can it be treated like a p-trap by pouring water into it? What else could I do to get rid of this smell? Thanks!

Jerry & Lisa Hooper
Marley and Gypsy
2015 Dutchman Voltage 3970
2015 Chevrolet 3500HD High Country
What are you referring to when you say stand pipe. I have heard the term used in reference to several totally different things.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #3

Kansas
Odor from standpipe

Sorry. I'm referring to the vertical pipe next to the water faucets into which the washing machine drain hose goes and drains. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 AM   #4

British Columbia
Ok, sounds like you may have a bunch of gunk building up in the pipe.

Putting a P-trap in would solve the problem, but may not be a good idea, you need that water to get through that pipe pretty fast.

I have a problem with the bathroom sink, in the bathroom in the house. It started stinking after awhile smelled like like damp stinking sport socks. I finally figured out where it was coming from, it was the overflow gunk accumulated in the passage. I have a small brush with a long flexible rod, shoved that down the over flow, rubbed it up and down a couple of times and got as much as I could out of it (soap scum, whiskers and all them skin cells). Then I used my all time favorite cleaning solution. Baking soda and vinegar. Now in the sink it's easy, I mixed up a baking soda and water solution and inject it into the overflow. then comes the volcano inject some vinegar and watch the fireworks. Once it's all done there's no more foul sport sock odor.

Now your problem is a little more complicated, you want to be able to trap the baking soda solution before it drops to the tank. You could try to make something that will capture, if not stop anything exiting the stand pipe. A plastic milk jug has just enough flex ability and is cheap and easy to cut. Bolt, screw or any other manner of affixing a disk to something that you can shove up and down in the pipe. Push the disk down until it is through the pipe, pull it back up just enough to that it is back in the pipe and have at it. Keep in mind you will want to have lots of rags, towels or whatever to catch the over flow.

The easiest fix would to be a cap on the pipe that will more or less seal of the pipe.

Personally I would do both. The seal to keep the stink out and the baking solution and vinegar, just because I like volcanos.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 AM   #5

Kansas
Odor from standpipe

Thanks hddecker! I'll give that a try. Have you ever put the baking soda & vinegar solution in your black tank?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHooper View Post
Thanks hddecker! I'll give that a try. Have you ever put the baking soda & vinegar solution in your black tank?
No, but now you have piqued my curiosity.

For sure next spring when I get the rig ready for the next adventure.

I'll have to go to the buld store, 'bout 1/2, no 1 pound of baking soda and a gallon of vinegar.

Fill black tank half full of water, go to dump station, hook up drain hose, pour baking soda solution into black tank, give DW gallon of vinegar, exit trailer, go to dump valve, tell DW to pour vinegar into tank and yell when the lava sarts coming up the toilet, then RUN LIKE HELL.

On a serious note that might be a good idea to try when you just can't get that last little piece of paper off the sensors.

I just happen to have one of them little sucks, one the Empty to quarter full sensors.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
I use bleach, laundry detergent and water softener (getting hard to find) in my tanks, it is called the "geo-method" works great, been doing it for years. Though the baking soda and vinegar sounds like it could be entertaining!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

Wyoming
The standpipe in your house has a p-trap. I would think that the RV should have one as well. If it doesn't it is a direct vent to your holding tank and is not healthy at all.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

Nevada
My washer drains into the Kitchen tank, and because its a few feet from the garage, I think we are lucky and don't get any smells, When we are at a RV park, I leave the Kitchen tank open all the time, and maybe using the washer, the more water and soap running thru the pipes and tank may also help keep the smells down??

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote