Noob Owner - Holding tank Question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Alabama
Noob Owner - Holding tank Question

Hello All.

Complete honesty, I'm a noob owner of a 2017 Aspen Trail 2810BHS. We took our maiden voyage this past weekend and I have some questions that I'm having difficulty finding answers.

Our unit as 2 gray water tanks and 1 black water tank. However, there is only 1 gray water dump valve (right next to the black water dump valve).

Now, if you have 2 gray tanks and only 1 gray dump valve, what keeps the tanks separate? We had 1 tank completely fill up to the point of water was coming up in the tub but the other tank showed only 1/3 full. And we hardly used the shower. We mostly used the sink in the kitchen. This was a 2 day trip.

Logic would tell me there should be a shutoff valve between the 2 tanks to keep them separate.

But, if the plumbing is such that the 2 tanks are commonly joined with no shutoff valve, then they should equalize (assuming they are mounted on the same level in the frame).

And I tried looking on Dutchmen website for a manual, but I can't find anything specific to a model. Just a very broad generic manual. I'd really kill for a plumbing diagram / system description for my model.

Thanks all.

Les Strickland

Strickland0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #2

Wyoming
I’m betting your 2nd grey tank dump valve handle is located somewhere under the frame of your rig.

I don’t have your model... but click on the link, and check out the photos in the thread here. Should be something like is shown.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...alve-5222.html

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
There is going to be a second valve... somewhere. If you know approximately where the tank is, follow the drain line back towards it and the valve should show up. If you have a covered belly it is going to be harder to find. It is conceivable that they "forgot" to expose it.

I have dual gray tanks and have 3 valves.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #4

Alabama
I saw the pics from the thread mentioned earlier. I never did look anywhere else. I saw that thread after I got home. I'll have to run out there sometime this week and look.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Alabama
Mystery solved. Dutchmen has confirmed that I only have a SINGLE gray tank and not two, unlike what the salesman told me....

But at least I know now.

Thanks

Les
Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland0811 View Post
Mystery solved. Dutchmen has confirmed that I only have a SINGLE gray tank and not two, unlike what the salesman told me....

But at least I know now.

Thanks

Les
Lesson 1. never trust what the sales guy tells you! Unless you have an outside kitchen or a second bathroom, you most likely only have ONE gray tank.

PS: ALWAYS Fill your black tank about half way with water BEFORE you use it when you begin camping.

...and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #7

Alabama
Wasn't aware of filling up the black tank. The rule for the first outing was take a dump at the main restroom and not in the RV! We stayed at a State park so the restrooms were clean.

I understand that the same display panels are used from model to model, but can't understand why both Gray 1 and Gray 2 would show when you push them if only one has a sensor hooked up to it. Seems it would not be powered so that no light would come on. Oh well, I fully understand there is a learning curve to this.

I also found out that both of my daughters and my wife didn't adhere to the "only turn the water on when you need it" rule when taking a shower. They all stood in there with the water running continuously for their showers. So that tells me why it filled up after only 1 day.

Thank you!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland0811 View Post
Wasn't aware of filling up the black tank. The rule for the first outing was take a dump at the main restroom and not in the RV! We stayed at a State park so the restrooms were clean.

I understand that the same display panels are used from model to model, but can't understand why both Gray 1 and Gray 2 would show when you push them if only one has a sensor hooked up to it. Seems it would not be powered so that no light would come on. Oh well, I fully understand there is a learning curve to this.

I also found out that both of my daughters and my wife didn't adhere to the "only turn the water on when you need it" rule when taking a shower. They all stood in there with the water running continuously for their showers. So that tells me why it filled up after only 1 day.

Thank you!
Daughters and wife, that says it all. Everyone gets a learning curve when camping
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Daughters and wife, that says it all. Everyone gets a learning curve when camping
You can leave the gray tank valve open if you are hooked up to the sewer at the campground. What you need to do is close the gray tank valve a day or two before you leave so you can flush out your black tank residue after you have drained your black tank. That way, no problem except for hot water when they take those long showers. It's embarrassing to discuss it, but paper in the toilet can be a real issue. Do like they do in Europe, #1 paper, in the can. #2 paper in the toilet.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Lesson 1. never trust what the sales guy tells you! Unless you have an outside kitchen or a second bathroom, you most likely only have ONE gray tank.

PS: ALWAYS Fill your black tank about half way with water BEFORE you use it when you begin camping.

...and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.
Dunno about half full... that is a lot of capacity!

We dump a 5 gallon mix of hot water, bleach, water softener (Calgon) and detergent in ours before we leave home. It is what is known as the Geo-method, it helps keep things clean and running smoothly.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Dunno about half full... that is a lot of capacity!

We dump a 5 gallon mix of hot water, bleach, water softener (Calgon) and detergent in ours before we leave home. It is what is known as the Geo-method, it helps keep things clean and running smoothly.

Aaron
Fortunately, you don't add a lot to the black tank. Takes a lot of pottie trips to make up 20 - 30 gallons that's left.