Noisy water pump - Denali 289RK - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Noisy water pump - Denali 289RK

This is the 4th day on our way south for the Winter. When we arrived at our overnight RV park this afternoon, the water pump now makes an awful noise when we turn on the water. It's worked fine up to this point.

We were wondering if perhaps something came loose on the rough road? Does anyone know where the water pump is? and how to access it?

Help please . . .

gasserwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasserwi View Post
This is the 4th day on our way south for the Winter. When we arrived at our overnight RV park this afternoon, the water pump now makes an awful noise when we turn on the water. It's worked fine up to this point.

We were wondering if perhaps something came loose on the rough road? Does anyone know where the water pump is? and how to access it?

Help please . . .
The easiest way to find it is to just turn it on and listen, if it's loud you'll find the where, then the how should reveal itself as well.

Depends a great deal on what the sound is. On one of my old Airstream projects I forgot to screw the pump back down. Didn't take but one time for DW to tell me to fix it.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
wyo

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
The easiest way to find it is to just turn it on and listen, if it's loud you'll find the where, then the how should reveal itself as well.

Depends a great deal on what the sound is. On one of my old Airstream projects I forgot to screw the pump back down. Didn't take but one time for DW to tell me to fix it.
In my new Aerolite it too made a lot of noise and as you stated... It wasn't screwed down. It is now.. and much quieter...
wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Noisy Water Pump

The noise did come from the right area below the kitchen sink, unscrewed the panel and found it sitting behind the electrical control panel, and we certainly don't want to remove that!

Access to the pump is impossible - the best we could do was jiggle it, and it still seemed to be anchored down. The noise it makes sounds like a machine gun going off. We just bought this camper brand new this year - would the pump still be under warranty?
Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Illinois
Betting it's a water line that is vibrating when the pump is on. Does it do it with city water also?
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Wisconsin
No, it doesn't do ot with city water on - just running the pump.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
The noise did come from the right area below the kitchen sink, unscrewed the panel and found it sitting behind the electrical control panel, and we certainly don't want to remove that!

Access to the pump is impossible - the best we could do was jiggle it, and it still seemed to be anchored down. The noise it makes sounds like a machine gun going off. We just bought this camper brand new this year - would the pump still be under warranty?
Are none of the panels near/ around the pump removable? There has to be someway to get to the pump without destroying the walls or cabinets.

Your owners kit should have a manual for the pump along with the warranty details. Most are one year from purchase date and hopefully that is tha same date you picked up your camper.

If the pump is secure and you have eliminated some of the other souces for a noisy pump, I can only think of two other possibilities. First is a failing pump, could be several causes for that. The second and this is just a WAG based on the constuction methods that the RV industry uses, this would be that a piece of constuction debris or screw got into the intake and is rattling around the impeller.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Are none of the panels near/ around the pump removable? There has to be someway to get to the pump without destroying the walls or cabinets.

Your owners kit should have a manual for the pump along with the warranty details. Most are one year from purchase date and hopefully that is tha same date you picked up your camper.

If the pump is secure and you have eliminated some of the other souces for a noisy pump, I can only think of two other possibilities. First is a failing pump, could be several causes for that. The second and this is just a WAG based on the constuction methods that the RV industry uses, this would be that a piece of constuction debris or screw got into the intake and is rattling around the impeller.
Sorry never mind the removable panels, I misread the part about being able to see the pump.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Never got an owner's manual for the water pump in our owner's kit. We can't see the pump well enough around the corner underneath the stove to even find out what its brand and/or ID numbers are. However, the machine gun noise sounds like it's coming from underneath the kitchen faucet. Maybe the pump isn't priming itself?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Never got an owner's manual for the water pump in our owner's kit. We can't see the pump well enough around the corner underneath the stove to even find out what its brand and/or ID numbers are. However, the machine gun noise sounds like it's coming from underneath the kitchen faucet. Maybe the pump isn't priming itself?
sundancer 87, reminded me that the water pumps are diaphram, not impeller, so never mind the screw. Some times my fingers don't let the brian sort through all that stuff before they get going.

How are reading upside down and backwards? I borrow DWs compact mirror or a shaving mirror to see stuff that is hidden.

You may be able to see something laying against the pump.

The pump should prime itself as long as the diaphrams are not punctured. Does opening a tap change the sound in any way. I am constantly retrieving things that have found themselves in places they don't belong.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #11

Florida
The most likely problem is there is not enough water in the fresh water tank for the pump to pick up. Fill up the tank and try it.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:

Help please . . .
We have the same TT. If we let our water run down to the point where the pump is sucking some air, we get and air lock in the main line. The only way to get rid of it is to fill the fresh tank full and then open the kitchen and bathroom fawcets until the noise stops....might take 5-10 mins. What I also did, and it killed a lot of the rattling noise, was to jam a piece of 1" soft foam under the pump. It is only held down by 2 screws so you lift up one corner and slip the foam underneath so that the pump does not touch the floor. As mentioned by another poster, check for rubbing lines....we had one that touched the cabinet and I also padded it with a piece of foam. Now, you can barely hear it. BTW, we can access the pump by removing the drawer under the oven. We then have full access to work on it or replace it if need be.