No water (newbie) - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

South Carolina
The under-sink location is likely. The water pump looks like a motor at one side, and a pump unit at the end of the motor shaft, with two hoses (one in, and one out) at the other end. The motor side will have a double wire ( + and -) going to it. You may see other lines, tees, valves, etc, depending on configuration.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
If you hear an electrical buzz from the hot water tank, cut off power to it. It may be operating and trying to warm up the water electrically. Don't let it even try until you get water going, or else you might be trying to heat up a dry tank. Cut off both propane and electrical to the hot water heater.
For now, just focus on the city water getting from the supply hose, inside the trailer, and to the cold water tap in the sink.
Find the pump. It's usually next to the fresh water tank, if the water tank is inside, say under a couch cushion. Otherwise, if the fresh water tank is below the floor, (you can guess where based on both the fill cap and the under-the-belly tank drain valve or capped line) then the pump would be above it. Look for a compartment that is usually closed only by 4 wood screws. Not an access door, but not hard at all to open up.
I confirmed that the Shurflo water pump is under the sink. The switch that I thought was for the water pump is turning on the water heater. I hear the click of the lighter and the flow of propane. Won't use that again until I have water.

The water flows freely from the hose itself, but still isn't getting into the trailer. There is a plastic regulator of some type with a spring at the city water intake. I tried to pull it out, but the back end is larger than the hole. Some water got past it and it moves freely.

Jim Jefferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jefferis View Post
I confirmed that the Shurflo water pump is under the sink. The switch that I thought was for the water pump is turning on the water heater. I hear the click of the lighter and the flow of propane. Won't use that again until I have water.

The water flows freely from the hose itself, but still isn't getting into the trailer. There is a plastic regulator of some type with a spring at the city water intake. I tried to pull it out, but the back end is larger than the hole. Some water got past it and it moves freely.
Can you shoot us a photo of thing with a spring?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jefferis View Post

Good thing on the pump find, and the switch operation. That "regulator" of some kind sounds like another backflow preventer, at the city water inlet. It is designed to keep your pressurized system (from running the pump) from feeding water back into the city system. It is a one-way valve, spring-loaded to allow city water in, but no water out. It sounds stuck. I don't know its exact configuration. You might be able to poke into it with a plastic straw (like from a WD40 bottle) or something. You might have to remove it. Focus your efforts on this thing.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Good thing on the pump find, and the switch operation. That "regulator" of some kind sounds like another backflow preventer, at the city water inlet. It is designed to keep your pressurized system (from running the pump) from feeding water back into the city system. It is a one-way valve, spring-loaded to allow city water in, but no water out. It sounds stuck. I don't know its exact configuration. You might be able to poke into it with a plastic straw (like from a WD40 bottle) or something. You might have to remove it. Focus your efforts on this thing.
That's just how it functions. When I push on it, water comes out, but left alone it blocks the water from flowing back into the hose. The piece moves freely, so I don't think it's stuck.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Can you shoot us a photo of thing with a spring?
Here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2296  
Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #17

South Carolina
So you can push the little center stick, and water comes out. Where did that water come from? Is it fresh city water? Sounds like if you can push the valve open, then the city water pressure was also able to get past it. I believe that's where the water came from. So ok, now we believe you have city water pressure inside the trailer when the hose is hooked up, and the city water valve is on. So now, with the system under pressure, go to unscrewable cold water fittings, say under the sink, or at the toilet, and SLOWLY start to unscrew things. Look for water to come out. Preceded, perhaps by escaping air. Have somebody ready to turn off the hose in case something comes loose. Using this method, you can find where water is and where it isn't.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #18

Tennessee
That stopper need to come out, it's in there to keep the antifreeze in after winterizing. I had the same problem on my last rig, the people took it to get winterized and that stopper was left in by the dealer who winterized it.

It took a few phone calls to the guy I bought it from on our first trip, but we figured it out.

I'd bet money it's gonna look like this, I lost the spring...

Old 06-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
That stopper need to come out, it's in there to keep the antifreeze in after winterizing. I had the same problem on my last rig, the people took it to get winterized and that stopper was left in by the dealer who winterized it.

It took a few phone calls to the guy I bought it from on our first trip, but we figured it out.

I'd bet money it's gonna look like this, I lost the spring...

That's definitely what it is, but it won't come out thought the intake--too big. Do I need to get it out from the inside?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
So you can push the little center stick, and water comes out. Where did that water come from? Is it fresh city water? Sounds like if you can push the valve open, then the city water pressure was also able to get past it. I believe that's where the water came from. So ok, now we believe you have city water pressure inside the trailer when the hose is hooked up, and the city water valve is on. So now, with the system under pressure, go to unscrewable cold water fittings, say under the sink, or at the toilet, and SLOWLY start to unscrew things. Look for water to come out. Preceded, perhaps by escaping air. Have somebody ready to turn off the hose in case something comes loose. Using this method, you can find where water is and where it isn't.
Makes sense to me. I'll try that tomorrow after work. Thanks for all of the advice.

Tags
water