Mysterious water valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2015, 01:59 AM   #1

Quebec
Mysterious water valve

Well I just finished winterizing my Grand Junction, and while taking a last check, I found a valve underneath which was wraped in newspaper probably to protect it from the tar undercoating I had had ordered. I have a fresh water valve near the 2 low point drains. This new one is further back, nearer to the kitchen. I opened it and nothing came out. Any ideas what's it's purpose.
P.S. in the city water connection box, there is a kitchen and a bath pull valve. I figure it is for draining one at a time, but why?

JohnnyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

California
Each tank has it's own drain valve. You should have 3 different tanks. One for the black water ( toilet ), one gray water for the bath/shower/sink, & one for gray water kitchen sink. Depending upon how you use them the bath gray normal files up first. Then the black tank & last the kitchen tank. When draining you want to open the black tank first & then open the gray tanks to help clean out the hose.

Sorry not sure what your other drain valve is for.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #3

Colorado
Hmmm....well, my 2014 Voltage Epic 3800 has the two 1/2" low point drains and I believe those are for the hot water and cold water piping throughout the trailer. The other valve is a white 2" valve with a pull handle like a drain valve. That valve is for the fresh water tank. And boy does it drain fast, and if you have a good amount of water in the tank, you better know where you're dumping it!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:45 AM   #4

Quebec
Hi Pirate,
I have the same configuration, plus I have another valve on a drain near the rear axle. Drain pointing straight down like the fresh water one. This is the one that intrigues me.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

Colorado
I'll have to go look. But wondering...is it a drain for the piping to the Garage bathroom sink or the washing machine piping?

Pirate
Old 10-17-2015, 04:29 AM   #6

Quebec
I do have a washer, and have no idea where it drains. I would be surprised if it drains directly on the ground, and if this is it's valve, there are no level indicator. Plus the washer is in the front over the king pin and this valve/drain is in the back behind the axles. It would be a lot of pipes for no reason.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Iowa
I have the same configuration on my 3605, its another fresh water drain, I assume there are 2 tanks hooked together. When I drain my fresh water I open both of them and its always fresh water coming out.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Quebec
Thanks Dougs2, I will test it this spring. If it is a second fresh water drain, it's kinda weird.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

Iowa
It is a little weird but it about has to be fresh water. Any water that goes through a sink or shower or washing machine is grey and it goes into a grey tank either kitchen or bath. They wouldn't dump anything but fresh straight down to the ground. But you never know what the factory might do, I'd be curios to know what you find next spring.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:13 AM   #10

Texas
It's the kitchen gray water tank drain valve.
TN RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #11

Colorado
Hmmm...just had the belly of my Voltage Epic 3800 open last week to install new D-rings in the garage.

Sticking out of the belly sheeting is the white, 2", freshwater drain valve. Its located about 24" to the right of the left frame rail.

Just forward of the freshwater drain valve, mounted to the frame, is the grey pull handle for the Kitchen/Garage Bath grey water valve. I've just ordered a Valterra electric valve to replace that one as I hate crawling under the slide to get to it.

Still don't know what valve you're referring to.

How about posting a pic or two? That would really, really help!!

Pirate
Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
No clue... but while on the subject of valves...

I am going to put electric on my drain down valves for the fresh water tank and the low point drains. Mine are a PITA to get to, they are behind the furnace air intake grill and under some duct work. We have gone from 80° to 28° in the past week, having to winterize twice in a week is not fun. Still plan on boxing the holding tanks when I get the chance.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote