Missing Vent Cover - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Missouri
Missing Vent Cover

I had a beautiful day, so I washed my TT. I found this missing on the roof. I believe it is a vent cover for the plumping. There are three other vents like the smaller one in the picture. These should be for my 3 tanks.
Anyone know what I need to order. I was hoping for someone's expertise so I could order on line and save a trip to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0084.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1767  

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Those may be attic vents, the vent the area between the roof and ceiling.

I don't think the tanks have vents but the plumbing scheme does. You can replace the plastic ones with a tin one. Just carefully clean off the caulking and remove the screws. You'll want to get a tube of the self leveling caulking the same time you get the vent covers.

Most any online RV supplier should have the vents and the caulking.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Texas
Eric
I too found the cap on that style vent missing on my unit. It is a "Keystone Mushroom" vent. You will probably have to buy the whole vent and then just use the cap. I found one at a local RV dealer. The cap has a nut in it that allows the cap to be screwed down onto the bolt in the vent. I put some Blue Locktite on it when I put the new cap on.
Cheers
Mike
Old 02-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #4

Missouri
Thank you guys... that's what I needed.

Boy I sure find this as a very week spot! Had I not noticed, I would have had a gapping hole in the roof all winter..

New item is now added to my checklist....

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Texas
I had the same problem last fall. Posted on the forum because I wasn't sure what kind of vent it was, if I remember sundancer also gave me a heads up that it was an attic vent. Ordered one from the local RV supply and it took over two months to arrive, it was pricey too @ $40. I thought I just needed the cap to screw back on, but I must of caught mine on a low wire because the inside was striped out. I looked for any manufacture marking so I could maybe let you know where to order direct. The only mark said FRONT and my receipt had just a generic description. I taped mine off and wasn't worried it would leak as my storage is under cover. Your post reminded me I needed to replace it for my Valentines trip next week.

I think the idea of these attic vents is to screw them down in the winter to hold the heat and screw them up in the summer to ventilate the attic. In photo 2 I pulled a chunk of insulation that was sticking out the hole and the rest was packed against the roof deck. There wasn't any dead air space to ventilate so I'm going to screw all my attic vents down tight with the recommended lock-tite, so they don't blow off. Yea... that's bird droppings in photo 1, they gotta rest somewhere???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent 1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent 2.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent 3.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent 4.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1775  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I had the same problem last fall. Posted on the forum because I wasn't sure what kind of vent it was, if I remember sundancer also gave me a heads up that it was an attic vent. Ordered one from the local RV supply and it took over two months to arrive, it was pricey too @ $40. I thought I just needed the cap to screw back on, but I must of caught mine on a low wire because the inside was striped out. I looked for any manufacture marking so I could maybe let you know where to order direct. The only mark said FRONT and my receipt had just a generic description. I taped mine off and wasn't worried it would leak as my storage is under cover. Your post reminded me I needed to replace it for my Valentines trip next week.

I think the idea of these attic vents is to screw them down in the winter to hold the heat and screw them up in the summer to ventilate the attic. In photo 2 I pulled a chunk of insulation that was sticking out the hole and the rest was packed against the roof deck. There wasn't any dead air space to ventilate so I'm going to screw all my attic vents down tight with the recommended lock-tite, so they don't blow off. Yea... that's bird droppings in photo 1, they gotta rest somewhere???
Thanks for the pictures!

I think I found the right part on line.
Keystone | 102776 | Mushroom Attic Roof Vent For Keystone RV Trailers - Polar White | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin

I sure hope I can just replace just the cap, the replacement looks like a chore.

2014 Denali 289RK