LP gas regulator and switch over valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #1

Oklahoma
LP gas regulator and switch over valve

I can't figure out the regulation and switch over valve on my 2013 3800.

I lived with propane tanks for 20 years. The pressure was regulated with a commercial Marshall low pressure regulator with auto switch valve. The regulator was one unit, two POLs in and low pressure out.

Now I have this toy hauler that has the switch over valve in the right side of the basement and a KLi international 9000 regulator on the other side of the basement.

I know the regulator creates 11 w.c. of pressure to service our gas appliances. The refrigerator, water heater, stove and furnace.

Here's the interesting part. The OEM regulator has a weep hole in the side and it has been weeping LPG, probably due to a ruptured diapraghm. Because the regulator only leaked when I had the change over valve switched to that side I never switched to the left tank.

The left tank is connected to the change over valve and the regulator. One line in and one line out. Given this connection scheme one would think the left tank is doing the regulation for the appliances.

This is not the deal with my unit. The left tank is shut off and the regulator is on the counter top. This leads me to believe I may have two low pressure regulators in the unit. Where the other one is only the Dutchman fitters know. It would be prudent to know where the other regulator is in the even it fails or starts leaking.

Some how I can't visualize a second regulator because if I were to turn on the left tank, the one with the regulator, that tank would be low pressure and feeding that same low pressure to yet another regulator which needs a certain amount of pressure to operate correctly.

This has me puzzled as to what the entire gas scheme is in these units.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #2

Wyoming
Not sure if this will help you or not... from my 3200:

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Thanks Tom, that's pretty much the way I'm laid out.

After more research I found the switch over valve to be a dual stage regulator as well so that eleminates that question.

I knew the other regulator was a single stage but now I can only guess it's there because of the distance between the two tanks.

Lowe's has a single stage regulator in stock. It has the Acme connection on it but I think it is threaded into the body of the regulator. If I can get the Avme off and use the short hose I'll be in good shape.

If the Lowe's one works I saved a 120 mile round trip to a dealer to pay a few extra dollars because it's an RV item.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If the Lowe's one works I saved a 120 mile round trip to a dealer to pay a few extra dollars because it's an RV item.
Can you find an RV shop closer to your location. I wouldn't go to the dealer for an item unless it was a last resort.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Can you find an RV shop closer to your location. I wouldn't go to the dealer for an item unless it was a last resort.
Lowe's has the one that I think will work and it's 15 miles away. Closest big city is 60 miles either way so Lowe's it is or I will wait until I need to get the scooter out of the garage.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Ah so, the Lowe's regulator will work. I had to remove the ACME nut from the regulator and and use the short OEM hose from tank to regulator. I then had to use an adapter from the regulator's 1/4 pipe outlet to accomodate the 3/8ths female pipe fitting that goes to the second stage switchover regulator.

15 bucks and a trip to town took care of it.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Wyoming
Well, well... fast forward 6 years, and guess what? Now I've got the same issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6374

Went to fry up some bacon for breakfast this morning, and discovered that I had no propane to the stove. Ok, no big deal, I only have the valve on one tank open at a time... and I guess it's empty.

So I go outside, and yes... the curb-side tank (which is usually the one I use) is empty. So I go the other side and begin to open it's valve. But no sooner than I do, I hear gas escaping... so I quickly shut it back off. Thinking that maybe I don't have the green ACME nut threaded correctly... I remove it, carefully put it back on, and begin to open the valve again.

Same result, only this time I see where the escaping gas is coming from... the weep holes on the side of the regulator.

So now I have the fun of going to look for a replacement... only the closest Lowe's is up in Montana... 2 hours away from me here in Wyoming. But we do have an ACE hardware, so gonna try my luck there... or the very small RV dealer a few blocks away.

But even if they don't... I know etrailer.com and a few other places have them. And the other side still runs as advertised, so it's not a "gotta have it NOW" priority.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-02-2020, 02:43 AM   #8

Wyoming
Ok, well.. that was quick & pretty painless.

Struck out at ACE, but the VERY small RV dealer here had just what I needed on the shelf. A regulator with the hose outlet hose permanently attached, and the ⅜" female pipe fitting for the inlet hose. Total cost : $18.69... and took me about 5 minutes to install when I got back home.

Gotta love it when things work out easily...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	6375

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE