LP campfire - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Florida
LP campfire

We have a quick LP disconnect on our TT that we use for our grill. I would like to connect our LP campfire to this same disconnect so I don't have to haul an extra bottle, but realize I can't because the campfire has a regulator.

Has anyone ever ran a high pressure quick disconnect for this purpose or is that just too dangerous?

If not, is there a way to accomplish what I want????

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
We have a quick LP disconnect on our TT that we use for our grill. I would like to connect our LP campfire to this same disconnect so I don't have to haul an extra bottle, but realize I can't because the campfire has a regulator.

Has anyone ever ran a high pressure quick disconnect for this purpose or is that just too dangerous?

Handyman,
You can probably do away with the regulator on the campfire and just use a hose from the regulated source. Adapter hoses are available from RV supply houses and don't forget to check with your local propane supplier.

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Handyman,
You can probably do away with the regulator on the campfire and just use a hose from the regulated source. Adapter hoses are available from RV supply houses and don't forget to check with your local propane supplier.
No adapters available to go from quick disconnect low pressure to high pressure hoses. I looked at bypassing the campfire regulator but that seems impossible plus I would not be able to adjust the flame. But as of now, that appears to be my only option.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

California
Quote:
No adapters available to go from quick disconnect low pressure to high pressure hoses. I looked at bypassing the campfire regulator but that seems impossible plus I would not be able to adjust the flame. But as of now, that appears to be my only option.
I'll check mine and get back to you. I think you have a good idea about hooking up to the coach propane supply. I'm traveling tomorrow, so give me a little time.
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #5

South Carolina
If the flame adjust (could be either on a campfire or a grill) is separate from the regulator, then you can usually unscrew the hose from a point AFTER the regulator, put on a quick-disconnect hose, and plug into the TT. My propane campfire has the regulator right at the propane bottle screw-on, thus everything after that is low pressure. The flame adjust and sparker are on the device.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
If the flame adjust (could be either on a campfire or a grill) is separate from the regulator, then you can usually unscrew the hose from a point AFTER the regulator, put on a quick-disconnect hose, and plug into the TT. My propane campfire has the regulator right at the propane bottle screw-on, thus everything after that is low pressure. The flame adjust and sparker are on the device.
Mine is different. The regulator and flame adjust are in one unit. I would have to bypass both. But as my brain begins to work, perhaps I could bypass both and insert a simple valve in the line.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Mine is different. The regulator and flame adjust are in one unit. I would have to bypass both. But as my brain begins to work, perhaps I could bypass both and insert a simple valve in the line.
Well Handyman, you know they make things idiot proof for our safety and convenience but there are the other type idiots that make things work our way.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Well Handyman, you know they make things idiot proof for our safety and convenience but there are the other type idiots that make things work our way.
You are right. There is a reason that it is extremely difficult to bypass that regulator.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
You are right. There is a reason that it is extremely difficult to bypass that regulator.
There was, once upon a time, when we could get a kit to rebuild a propane regulator and even adjust the pressure to our liking. But, since the powers that be decided it was important to dumb down American society we can only sigh and buy and throw away and throw away again only to boost someone's profit margin.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:

Handyman,

Check with your local propane store, if they don't have a hose with a shut off and no regulator, they should be able to custom make what you need. You may be able to adapt a quick disconnect hose for a natural gas BBQ, by adding a shutoff.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
There was, once upon a time, when we could get a kit to rebuild a propane regulator and even adjust the pressure to our liking. But, since the powers that be decided it was important to dumb down American society we can only sigh and buy and throw away and throw away again only to boost someone's profit margin.
I don't think it was so much about dumbing down society, we had plenty of people taking care of that. Problem was a certain segment saw it as a way to make money, buy suing manufacturers, instead of taking personal responsibility. The planned obsolescence/throw away had been around for a long time, just has become much more prevalent.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
i don't think it was so much about dumbing down society, we had plenty of people taking care of that. Problem was a certain segment saw it as a way to make money, buy suing manufacturers, instead of taking personal responsibility. The planned obsolescence/throw away had been around for a long time, just has become much more prevalent.

Aaron
agree!!!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #13

South Carolina
I think it is larger than that. My generation built things with Erector sets, activated circuits with electronic kits, and learned basic AC and DC circuits in high school. If you didn't have the money or inclination to go to college to become an engineer, you could do just fine as a technician. American-made devices, such as an adjustable regulator, were understood and used accordingly. Two things then happened, i.e. 1 - The mass export of manufacturing to China, Mexico, and elsewhere, and 2 - the lack of understanding of these components by the average American. (If in doubt, just look at the questions on these boards - LOL)
In this example, the Chinese asked themselves, "who uses a variable regulator, and how often do they adjust it?" The answer was of course, very few, and almost never. So they mass-produce for the remaining 98%. The 2% of us who would like a variable regulator are not in their market scheme.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote