Leaking winterization valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #1

Alabama
Leaking winterization valve

Hi! My wife and I just purchased a new-to-us 2013 Voltage 3895. This is our second toy hauler, and our first Dutchmen product. We do really like the trailer, but are trying to work through all the little issues that need fixing. Most of these seem to be directly related to a lack of proper maintenance (something I have never been guilty of), and are reasonably easy to remedy. However, this particular problem has me a bit stumped, and I am apprehensive to dive in unless I am certain I can fix it. My wife first noticed a leak that seems to slowly fill our street side storage area with water (the small plastic bin at the very edge of the cargo compartment under the leveling system control panel). I traced the source of the water to the backside of the docking station and removed the paneling exposing the area around the water pump. Having been a forum lurker for a while I suspected that one of the water fittings might be loose and hand tightened all of them. Unfortunately this did not remedy our leak. Hooking up and pressurizing the plumbing system (city water) revealed that drips were forming at the junction between the winterization valve and both 90 degree elbows that plumb into the horizontal valve outlets. After fiddling with the plumbing pipes, it appears the 90 degree elbows were not tightened down (screwed in) even hand tight. These elbows are rigidly fixed to the rest of the plumbing, and the winterization valve is mounted to the docking station wall. I could be wrong, but I don't see any way to disconnect the plumbing to this valve so that the fittings could be tightened, or removed and taped to provide a seal. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but plumbing is not my strong suit. I'm afraid to cut anything for fear that I might not be able to reconnect, or that some of these connections actually could have been disconnected. Sorry my first post was so long, but I wanted to provide enough detail (no picture, yet). Any help would be appreciated.

Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #2

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogal78 View Post
Hi! My wife and I just purchased a new-to-us 2013 Voltage 3895. This is our second toy hauler, and our first Dutchmen product. We do really like the trailer, but are trying to work through all the little issues that need fixing. Most of these seem to be directly related to a lack of proper maintenance (something I have never been guilty of), and are reasonably easy to remedy. However, this particular problem has me a bit stumped, and I am apprehensive to dive in unless I am certain I can fix it. My wife first noticed a leak that seems to slowly fill our street side storage area with water (the small plastic bin at the very edge of the cargo compartment under the leveling system control panel). I traced the source of the water to the backside of the docking station and removed the paneling exposing the area around the water pump. Having been a forum lurker for a while I suspected that one of the water fittings might be loose and hand tightened all of them. Unfortunately this did not remedy our leak. Hooking up and pressurizing the plumbing system (city water) revealed that drips were forming at the junction between the winterization valve and both 90 degree elbows that plumb into the horizontal valve outlets. After fiddling with the plumbing pipes, it appears the 90 degree elbows were not tightened down (screwed in) even hand tight. These elbows are rigidly fixed to the rest of the plumbing, and the winterization valve is mounted to the docking station wall. I could be wrong, but I don't see any way to disconnect the plumbing to this valve so that the fittings could be tightened, or removed and taped to provide a seal. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but plumbing is not my strong suit. I'm afraid to cut anything for fear that I might not be able to reconnect, or that some of these connections actually could have been disconnected. Sorry my first post was so long, but I wanted to provide enough detail (no picture, yet). Any help would be appreciated.
Pictures would definitely help so we can see exactly what you are facing. The plumbing stuff is fairly simple though to work with, the challenge is the tight space to work on the spaghetti factory of water lines. I just had my wall off and most of the piping were screwed type fittings but some of them had the clamps to the rigid connections. Chances are that something froze and cracked, most likely the rigid portions. Would if that being the case you would have to clip off thos clamps and remove the water line. I would recommed replacing the line as well. I don't think the winterization valve would be to difficult to pull and replace as well. then just take everything you removed to your dealer to ensure you get all the material and parts you need when you go to replace them.

All this is just going from memory of what I recall seeing. Like I said, if you post a few good pictures and make sure you indicate where it is leaking and I am sure you will get plenty of help on here.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #3

Alabama
Thanks for the reply. I definitely owe some pictures. I do recall clamps at every junction on the pipes coming off the valve that then disappear under the floor. I was hoping to find something I could unscrew, but everything going into that valve seemed rigid. I guess my concern was that the clamps cannot be removed without destroying the clamp, elbows, or pipes. I'll have to get out to the camper (in storage) this weekend and snap a few photos. Thankfully I had read numerous posts on this forum regarding the area "behind the walls", so I wasn't surprised by what I saw. Just disgusted. I'm in aviation, and a scene like that would ground the fleet!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogal78 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I definitely owe some pictures. I do recall clamps at every junction on the pipes coming off the valve that then disappear under the floor. I was hoping to find something I could unscrew, but everything going into that valve seemed rigid. I guess my concern was that the clamps cannot be removed without destroying the clamp, elbows, or pipes. I'll have to get out to the camper (in storage) this weekend and snap a few photos. Thankfully I had read numerous posts on this forum regarding the area "behind the walls", so I wasn't surprised by what I saw. Just disgusted. I'm in aviation, and a scene like that would ground the fleet!
Yes it is quite the tracing nightmare. I work in an oil refinery and am quite used to tracing down piping, but this was a challenge.

Yes you will have to destroy those clamps to get the piping and fittings removed, they are easily to install the adjustable type clamps. I am not sure what the best tool to use to remove those, I just usually use some pointy wire type cutters and start gnawing on the clamp, doesn't take too much to remove them.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
If it is the Pex crimp rings you can use a tool like this. I have a house and a mobile home that were both plumbed with Polybutylene (the gray stuff) I have been re-plumbing as I go. By using this tool you can usually reuse the piping and the fitting.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Alabama
Thank you both for the reply. I've done as much research regarding PEX plumbing as I can online, spoke with my local camping supply/repair service manager, picked up some fittings from the camping supply store and a few spares from Lowes. I'm headed to the storage lot today and we'll see what kind of mess I make at this repair! I'll be sure to take some photos and upload my triumph (or defeat) this evening.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24