Leak at back of toilet - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 64
Indiana
Leak at back of toilet

Hi all.
I noticed that I have a small leak coming from the toilet where the water supply line connects. At first I thought it was that the line was loose ot leaking, but that isn't the case. It is right above where the line threads on. I tried to take a picture, but it didn't turn out that well. It only leaks when you are actually flushing the toilet. It is blurry, but you can see where the line fitting is threaded on. It is leaking from the white ring/doughnut thing above it. Is this something that can be repaired, or is it a replace the whole toilet kind of thing? Thanks
__________________

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,341
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Hi all.
I noticed that I have a small leak coming from the toilet where the water supply line connects. At first I thought it was that the line was loose ot leaking, but that isn't the case. It is right above where the line threads on. I tried to take a picture, but it didn't turn out that well. It only leaks when you are actually flushing the toilet. It is blurry, but you can see where the line fitting is threaded on. It is leaking from the white ring/doughnut thing above it. Is this something that can be repaired, or is it a replace the whole toilet kind of thing? Thanks



Let us know what RV you have so we can make better suggestions,
As for suggestions, you probably need a new flush valve but it's hard to ascertain from the photo.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 251
Maryland
I would suggest removing the water line, inspect the host connection for a crack and inspect the valve thread as well for a crack.



Out of curiosity, when you winterized your unit, did you run the antifreeze through the toilet lines? I forgot that one year and the valve broke from freezing. It's an easy replacement.


If there are no cracks, try putting thread seal tape on the valve thread.
__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 64
Indiana
Thanks.

The trailer is a 1994 Dutchman Classic 300.

Yes, antifreeze was run through the toilet as well.

I will double check, but it does not appear to be leaking at the threads where the line comes in. It is leaking above it. It only leaks when you actually flush the toilet. If it was the line coming in I would think it would leak any time it is under pressure.

Is this correct?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 251
Maryland
You are correct... if it was the hose or the thread then it would leak when under pressure.


It sounds as though it is the valve. You will have to remove the toilet and check the valve. You can look to see if a screw may have come loose. Also you can check the rubber O-Ring gaskets on the valve; I've had to replace them on my old trailer after 10 years of usage. You can normally find replacement 0-rings at Lowe's, Home-Depot, Menards, etc...
__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 563
Florida
The new ceramic toilets are really nice, maybe time for an upgrade ?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Style...273AF3A158D54E
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 64
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
You are correct... if it was the hose or the thread then it would leak when under pressure.


It sounds as though it is the valve. You will have to remove the toilet and check the valve. You can look to see if a screw may have come loose. Also you can check the rubber O-Ring gaskets on the valve; I've had to replace them on my old trailer after 10 years of usage. You can normally find replacement 0-rings at Lowe's, Home-Depot, Menards, etc...
Thanks.

I have never pulled the toilet in a trailer/RV. Is it the same basic process as on in a house with bolts and a wax ring, or does it seal different?
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 563
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Thanks.

I have never pulled the toilet in a trailer/RV. Is it the same basic process as on in a house with bolts and a wax ring, or does it seal different?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 64
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
The new ceramic toilets are really nice, maybe time for an upgrade ?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Style...273AF3A158D54E
Thanks. Looks pretty much the same as a residential except using the rubber gasket instead of a wax ring.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 803
Colorado
Same process. Problem may be that the "elevation" of the toilet water supply will continue to have water in it, even after draining the water system. Been there, done that.

So use compressed air to blow the water out of the trailer water system. Then have something to catch water right handy!!

Its a PITA that RV's don't have toilet water supply shut off valves.

Our 2014 Voltage Epic is piped with 1/2" PEX. So I went to ACE Hardware and bought a 1/2" ball valve with 1/2" sharkbite fittings on both ends.

Cut the supply line and put the ball valve in. Whenever we return from a trip, blow the water out of the system with compressed air and then shut the ball valve.

Next trip, connect water, make sure there are no leaks, then slowly open the ball valve...and good to go. If there is a leak around the toilet, just shut the valve and find the problem.

I have a good pic, but its on Photobucket.

Pirate
__________________

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


DutchmenOwners.com is not in any way associated with Dutchmen Manufacturing, or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.