Hot Water Issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

California
Hot Water Issues

We noticed it took forever for hot water to reach the kitchen sink on our 2014 Voltage 3200 even though the water heater is right next to it. I took off the grill under the fridge where the water heater is located. I traced the hot water line and noted that it exits the water heater, the line goes all the way to the cargo hold where the water pump is located. There it bifurcates off to the bathroom, outside shower, and back to the kitchen and laundry area. Round trip, that is about 25 feet before hot water makes it to the kitchen sink from a water heater that is 6 feet away.

My solution was to buy some pex hose and connectors and jump(6 inch piece) the hot water line coming out of the heater across to the hot water line coming back from the pump to the kitchen sink. The result is now hot water reaches the kitchen in about 10 seconds. Very nice. Please note that the crimper for pex copper connectors is a bit pricey ($59 at Home Depot), so if that is too much, you can use hose clamps that tighten with a screwdriver. You will also need 2 pex tees to tap into the hot water lines.

chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

Wyoming
Good thinking. You can also rent the crimping tool.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Oklahoma
One of the first tools I bought when I discovered PEX products in my rig. Renting is good but going to the tool box for the tool is priceless.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
One of the first tools I bought when I discovered PEX products in my rig. Renting is good but going to the tool box for the tool is priceless.
I bought my own as well because all the plumbing in my house is PEX. It came in handy in my RV as well when I plumbed my 2-stage water filter under the kitchen sink. I figured why filter the toilet and shower water?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
Contemplated more than once to buy my own tool but couldn't justify the price for something used so rarely. Purchased instead the Shark Bite connectors and paid the little extra (making modifications later is also a lot easier with Shark Bite). One thing I just learnt recently is that mice are attracted to the plastic tubing and will try to chew through - another reason to keep them out.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
We noticed it took forever for hot water to reach the kitchen sink on our 2014 Voltage 3200 even though the water heater is right next to it. I took off the grill under the fridge where the water heater is located. I traced the hot water line and noted that it exits the water heater, the line goes all the way to the cargo hold where the water pump is located. There it bifurcates off to the bathroom, outside shower, and back to the kitchen and laundry area. Round trip, that is about 25 feet before hot water makes it to the kitchen sink from a water heater that is 6 feet away.

My solution was to buy some pex hose and connectors and jump(6 inch piece) the hot water line coming out of the heater across to the hot water line coming back from the pump to the kitchen sink. The result is now hot water reaches the kitchen in about 10 seconds. Very nice. Please note that the crimper for pex copper connectors is a bit pricey ($59 at Home Depot), so if that is too much, you can use hose clamps that tighten with a screwdriver. You will also need 2 pex tees to tap into the hot water lines.
Next time you run hot from the sink. Measure it and see how much it takes. Then measure it after your plumbing change.

Here is what the wife and I do concerning hot water. The water is move from what ever sink you are using and shower. Then transferred into a Tupperware Picture. From there it gets poured into a one gallon plastic water jug (what ever one fits beside your toilet the best). And you should be able to figure where I'm going with there. Any extra water gets used somehow.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote