Fresh water tank leak repair - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Texas
Fresh water tank leak repair

We have a Voltage 3990 with a fresh water leak coming right around the joint where the low point drain is. Looks like too much flex and the seam has given way. Anybody know of an easy DIY permanent fix that doesn't require tank removal?

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Not sure if they make epoxy that will stick to polyethylene. I do know you can thermal weld the plastic if you have the right kind of rod. Then consider some sort of reinforcement to keep it from happening again.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Florida
Not sure how permanent it is or what type of surface prep is required, but have you thought about this stuff? I keep a couple of short rolls of it on the RV in case of emergency.

https://www.asseenontvexpress.com/pr...smart_campaign
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Not sure if they make epoxy that will stick to polyethylene. I do know you can thermal weld the plastic if you have the right kind of rod. Then consider some sort of reinforcement to keep it from happening again.

Aaron
That was my original thought, Aaron, just didn't want to buy more tools I will only use once or twice full timing
Old 12-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Not sure how permanent it is or what type of surface prep is required, but have you thought about this stuff? I keep a couple of short rolls of it on the RV in case of emergency.

https://www.asseenontvexpress.com/pr...smart_campaign
Thanks Frank, that all the boss kept saying. I saw it on TV it works on the bottom of that boat! Have to make try it as it is cheaper than buying tools.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Thanks Frank, that all the boss kept saying. I saw it on TV it works on the bottom of that boat! Have to make try it as it is cheaper than buying tools.
I would make sure I used the tape and not the liquid because of the extra reinforcement.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
But what is the boat made out of? And will the stuff stick to Polyethylene or whatever the tank is made out of?

Let us know if it works...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #8

Florida
I bought a plastic welder from HF long ago to repair our plastic stock tanks I also patched a kayak with it. It worked pretty good. The price was cheap and came with a handful of assorted rods, it also needs an air compressor for it to work properly. The instructions were pretty easy but for it to work you need to follow them.
https://www.harborfreight.com/80-wat...kit-60662.html
Old 12-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #9

Illinois
You can use an epoxy called Hysol blended with milled glass. The key to make it work is you need a good mechanical bond and a very clean surface. Wire brush or 36 grit sand paper to rough up the entire area, beyond where the epoxy will go, and wipe down with denatured alcohol.

Mix the epoxy and milled glass into a paste and apply it. Use an acid brush to work it into the grooves, this is key, you need 100% coverage or it will fail. Once worked in, take a wide popsicle stick and apply the rest, if it sags, add more glass. A heat gun can also help it adhere, the warmer surface will let the epoxy flow better.

When done, adding a layer of fiberglass cloth can strengthen the repair.

Now here is where it can fail with epoxy, movement. If the crack was caused by movement, correct that first, then use the epoxy.

https://www.rcplanet.com/finishing-s...saAt-VEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-23711...26032522&psc=1
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
You can use an epoxy called Hysol blended with milled glass. The key to make it work is you need a good mechanical bond and a very clean surface. Wire brush or 36 grit sand paper to rough up the entire area, beyond where the epoxy will go, and wipe down with denatured alcohol.

Mix the epoxy and milled glass into a paste and apply it. Use an acid brush to work it into the grooves, this is key, you need 100% coverage or it will fail. Once worked in, take a wide popsicle stick and apply the rest, if it sags, add more glass. A heat gun can also help it adhere, the warmer surface will let the epoxy flow better.

When done, adding a layer of fiberglass cloth can strengthen the repair.

Now here is where it can fail with epoxy, movement. If the crack was caused by movement, correct that first, then use the epoxy.

https://www.rcplanet.com/finishing-s...saAt-VEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-23711...26032522&psc=1
Ok, acdii, but can it be repaired upside down with this method? I don't have a clue if my 80gal tank can even be removed. I tried the HF iron, it doesn't heat up enough to melt the tank to get it to bond before the plastic strips start burning.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Ok, acdii, but can it be repaired upside down with this method? I don't have a clue if my 80gal tank can even be removed. I tried the HF iron, it doesn't heat up enough to melt the tank to get it to bond before the plastic strips start burning.

This is purpose of the milled glass, to thicken the glue so it will stay in place. Adding a layer of glass cloth, the kind used in auto body repair which if you have a local hobby shop that has RC planes, may have strips of it in stock, will help secure it.

It has a 30 minute working time, so should have enough time to get it completely covered, and as it starts to set will start to thicken at which point will stay in place.

I used to use gas tank repair kits to repair a holed steel tank, so working underneath can be a pain, but can be done.

I also ran across this, https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...YaApvqEALw_wcB

It might work for your need as well. Mixes with acetone.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #12

Texas
Well, job done! I peeled and scraped the first try all off and it never really sealed. So I took my time this time and went real real slow and it did melt the plastic enough to seal the cracks while adding zip ties melted in. Filled tanks up with 160 gallons of fresh water and it's holding great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_113800280.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	5186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_114618313_HDR.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	5187