First time using water hookups - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Indiana
First time using water hookups

Hi all,
So I purchased a 1994 Classic 300 this spring and have used it quite a bit this year.

However, I have always stayed at State Parks and just used my water tank. Next weekend I will be staying at a campground with full hookups. Is there anything special I should know about hooking up to the water? I already purchased a pressure regulator for the water.

Do I just hook up the water and leave the power to the pump off? I will also have a full water tank since I will need it for the following night.

Thanks

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Hi all,
So I purchased a 1994 Classic 300 this spring and have used it quite a bit this year.

However, I have always stayed at State Parks and just used my water tank. Next weekend I will be staying at a campground with full hookups. Is there anything special I should know about hooking up to the water? I already purchased a pressure regulator for the water.

Do I just hook up the water and leave the power to the pump off? I will also have a full water tank since I will need it for the following night.

Thanks
Check it out at home before you go, campground surprises aren't fun.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Florida
make sure you sanitize the tank... very important. dry runs are everything.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #4

California
Leave pump off. Water pressure will be there. Also, be very careful with the pressure. Those regulators are not real reliable and if you have only used the tank for fresh water it is possible you could have a leak already without knowing it.

As this is your first time with an older trailer I would give a quarter turn max on the water line and try it that way for a while. If not enough pressure after trying for a while then ease it up a quarter turn max.

I had a brand new rig develop a leak in a water line behind my shower valves and I was using a regulator and just turned the outside water up all the way because “I had a regulator”. I spent hours chasing it down and at first thought my shower drain was leaking. Once that cheap plastic flimsy “pipe” in your trailer develops a leak it is a royal pain to find and fix. The crap they use is a joke—but hey it is cheap and most of the time will outlast the one year warranty they provide.

Hopefully, I am paranoid and you will be fine but better safe than sorry.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #5

Indiana
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely give it a try at home prior to leaving to make sure I don’t have any surprises. That’s a good idea to only turn the water on enough to get the pressure you need.

As far as sanitizing the tank, I did that at the beginning of the season. My understanding is that it is only a once a year thing. Is that correct.

Also,as far as any water line leaks.....if I had a leak somewhere would the pump run from time to time if it was left on? Since it is pressure activated I would think it would kick on as the leak caused the pressure in the line to drop.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Oklahoma
If you have a leak the pump will cycle from time to time until the leak is repaired. It will cycle if air in the system until it's bled out.

However, I suggest you open the valve all the way instead of cracking it open. If you have a leak, you have a leak. Also, water can be destructive to a seal that is in the path of the water. There is more in the engineering of things that we mere mortals understand and don't question.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If you have a leak the pump will cycle from time to time until the leak is repaired. It will cycle if air in the system until it's bled out.

However, I suggest you open the valve all the way instead of cracking it open. If you have a leak, you have a leak. Also, water can be destructive to a seal that is in the path of the water. There is more in the engineering of things that we mere mortals understand and don't question.

Thanks. My pump doesn’t cycle when it is left on and I haven’t noticed and water, so I don’t think I have any water supply leaks. I will make sure I keep an eye/ear out just I be sure.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #8

South Carolina
One more thing. A campsite that has not been used recently my have old water, or even rusty sediment in the line. Connect your white hose to the regulator, and the campsite, and turn on the water full blast BEFORE you connect it to your RV. Let the water run until it is cold and clear. Then stop the water, and connect to your RV. Doing this also minimizes air in the line, and prevents squirts and spurts when starting up the flow inside.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Camp water lines

"My pump doesn’t cycle when it is left on and I haven’t noticed and water, so I don’t think I have any water supply leaks. I will make sure I keep an eye/ear out just I be sure."

The camp water line connection has fittings and hoses or pipes that are not under pressure when you use your 12 volt water pump.

1 Flushing and sanitizing the long unused fittings and pipes is good safety practice.
2 Leaks or weak hoses inside and not used with the 12 volt pump could blow out.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Florida
almost forgot to mention, get one of these little guys (from walmart, they are much cheaper) when you fill your tank or hook up to the water supply at the campground. Like has been mentioned, run the water at the campground BEFORE you hook the hoses up. First time you see that brown junk filled water come out of the hose, you will be thankful that you did.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-400...IaAhw8EALw_wcB
Old 09-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

Indiana
Thanks. I had seen the filters and was thinking of grabbing one.

Glad ya’ll mentioned running the water before hooking it up. I hadn’t thought about that and it could have been pretty nasty.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #12

Florida
forgot, many folks (me too) recommend you use a pressure regulator. When I hook up to the water system, it looks like a collage. I have a water hose splitter (one hose for the RV and one for another hose like something I'm going to use to backflush the black tank, etc.) that one has a backflow preventer on it. I have a pressure regulator also there. THEN, I have a filter like the one I showed, a water softener and then to the RV. (I REALLY LIKE HAVING A WATER SOFTENER).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These water pressure valves save your RV from the extensive pressures of their water system, which sometimes can be VERY HIGH.