Faulty water pump? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #1

Kansas
Faulty water pump?

What's the best way to determine whether the water pump on my 2015 Voltage 3970 has quit working? When it's turned on, it hums and vibrates just a bit but it does not cycle and there is virtually zero water pressure. If it's faulty, could it contribute to a leak? Thank you!

JerryHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

Ohio
It could be the pump or it could be something blocking the pickup. To test the pump, remove the input side and attach a hose so you can pour water into it. If that works, then use a bucket and see if it will pull out of a bucket of water. If that passes, could be a kinked line or blocked line, try blowing through it. Those pumps are sensitive to air leaks, so you might want to make sure all the connections are tight. Also if your unit has the winterize valve, you can use that to pull water out of a bucket.
-Jeff

Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

British Columbia
What you are discribing sounds just like the water heater bypass valves not being in the right positions. This is exactley what the dumb, dumb that suppossedly PDI'd or camper did, he only turned one valve to the right position, so the pump just hummed.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #4

Kansas
Water heater bypass valves position?

Thank you for your response. I'm unclear, though, about the correct positions of the water heater bypass valves?
JerryHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 AM   #5

South Carolina
This is getting hard to answer. The pump will stop running when it senses full pressure in the line that it's feeding. There are valves near the water heater, and also by the pump. It's not possible in this forum to say "left" or "up" or anything like that. The pump should pull water from the fresh water tank, and feed the cold (sometimes blue) pipe, including the water heater, and on to all the outlets. When all are satisfied, the heater tank is full, and there are no leaks, and the faucets are shut off, then, and only then, the pump should shut off.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHooper View Post
Thank you for your response. I'm unclear, though, about the correct positions of the water heater bypass valves?
You are dealing with ball valves, so when the handle is in the 90degree position it is off and when it is in line with the pex it is on.

If you follow the pex from the pump to the HW tank you want that valve to be closed so the tank fills. Now on the outflow from the tank needs to be turned so the hot water line becomes charged.

Perhaps if youself draw a diagram of the valves, it will be easier to follow than my description. Or the other option, just start turning the valves until you hear water entering the tank and air hissing out of the hot water tap, once that happens you should be good to go.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Do you not have a wet bay in the hauler? That's where you connect city water and have tank control valves.
In that bay there should be a red lever that is marked 'normal' and 'bypass'. The normal position will allow the pump to bring water from the tank to the water heater and then throughout the hauler.

Unless some major changes have been made you won't have a bypass valve at the water heater as do the TTs.

As you know, it's chilly today or I'd go out there and grab a photo for you.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

Iowa
Quote:
On my 3605 there are 2 bypass valves in the wet bay, one is for the water heater, the other is for the pump to pull rv antifreeze in instead of pulling water from the fresh tank. On bypass they both point straight up. if you want the pump to pull from the fresh water tank, that valve should point left or horizontal. If and when you want the water heater tank to fill just turn that valve so it turns left or horizontal. These bypass valves only turn 1/4 turn. If your pump won't pick up and make pressure it may be sucking a little air, I've had to take the in side hose loose and prime it by pouring a bottle of water in until it starts pumping. If nothing makes it work, probably need a new pump, I've had to replace mine.

dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote