faucet won't stop dripping - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #1

Utah
faucet won't stop dripping

New trailer only 11 months old. Just got it back from the dealer. I swear to you that everytime we get it back something else is broken on it.

Noticed a drippy faucet on our first night of camping (photo attached). Just drip.....drip.....drdip....one every second or two. Had hookups, but normally keep my black and grey valves closed so I can control when/how to empty the tanks. Didn't think a drip all night would amount to much.

I was wrong. In the morning, our bathtub was full of water, but so was our kitchen sink! This is weird to me because kitchen sink is much higher than the bathtub, but the bathtub did NOT overflow onto the floor. Miracle?

Kept my grey tank valve open for the remainder of our weekend.

Anyhow - I am so frustrated. The dealer is over an hour away and it just isn't worth it to take it in just for that (4 hours driving, plus $70 gas, plus they will hold it for 3 weeks, plus something else will be broken when I get it back). I am wondering if I should just fix it myself and cut my losses. I am NOT handy, but these trailers are forcing me to learn a few new things...

A few questions:

(1) Is this a common issue that may be easily fixed? Recommendations? There seems to be a small plastic/wax plug on the fixture that possibly leads to a screw or something.

(2) If I choose to replace the fixture with something better, can I install ANY faucet in this, or does it have to be a "special" RV fixture? Any recommendations on a good faucet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaky faucet.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	5452  

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #2

Wyoming
A drip in a faucet is usually the result of a worn, defective, or missing washer. That said, sometimes, the faucet hardware itself is defective.

An RV faucet is no different than a residential type... and there are plenty of videos & such online to diagnose the problem. Of course, you can also simply replace the entire faucet with a type of your choice... which is what a few of us have done. Can find large selections at any Lowes, Home Depot, or other type store

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #3

Utah
Thanks ATCguy.......

I would vote for missing or defectcive washer, but we have only camped 17 nights on 7 trips in 11 months after the trailer was new. Never had an issue until this last trip. How long should a washer last? Sheesh.

I have had faucets my entire life...never had a drippy one until now.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

Florida
I would recommend you replace the faucet. Even the cheapest faucet at a hardware store is better than what they put in the RV. Did you happen to check your water pressure at the site? sometimes it can be a bit much and you need to put a damper on it. You can get one of the cheap ones at walmart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...UaAr0bEALw_wcB or you can get a nice one with a gauge on it..
https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press...27532630&psc=1

back to the faucet... they also hook up differently than a "normal" faucet so be careful about that. Good luck. At least you are getting some use out of your camper.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
New trailer only 11 months old. Just got it back from the dealer. I swear to you that everytime we get it back something else is broken on it.

Noticed a drippy faucet on our first night of camping (photo attached). Just drip.....drip.....drdip....one every second or two. Had hookups, but normally keep my black and grey valves closed so I can control when/how to empty the tanks. Didn't think a drip all night would amount to much.

I was wrong. In the morning, our bathtub was full of water, but so was our kitchen sink! This is weird to me because kitchen sink is much higher than the bathtub, but the bathtub did NOT overflow onto the floor. Miracle?

Kept my grey tank valve open for the remainder of our weekend.

Anyhow - I am so frustrated. The dealer is over an hour away and it just isn't worth it to take it in just for that (4 hours driving, plus $70 gas, plus they will hold it for 3 weeks, plus something else will be broken when I get it back). I am wondering if I should just fix it myself and cut my losses. I am NOT handy, but these trailers are forcing me to learn a few new things...

A few questions:

(1) Is this a common issue that may be easily fixed? Recommendations? There seems to be a small plastic/wax plug on the fixture that possibly leads to a screw or something.

(2) If I choose to replace the fixture with something better, can I install ANY faucet in this, or does it have to be a "special" RV fixture? Any recommendations on a good faucet?

The red/blue plug covers a screw that can be removed with a Philips screwdriver or Allen wrench. From there you will find the replaceable seals and maybe springs.

There may be something under a seal or if there is a packing nut a simple turn on that may stop the dripping.
If you are not handy you will want to become that way when you own an RV.
You can replace the faucet with another one. There really isn't a residential/RV faucet. It's just the RV has the cheapest one out there. Replacement may depend upon how the blind installers stuck it together.
If you get in a bind with either checking the seals or replacing the faucet we are here to guide you. Pictures are a must however.
Go for it, get personal with that RV and kiss the dealer goodbye.

Oh yeah, turn the pump off or disconnect city water.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Florida
replacing that faucet will probably require a PEX crimper. Instead of a PEX crimper, you can use hose clamps. It might be better to try to repair it if you can. I would replace it if it were me. The problem is that the holes may not line up and connections will be ugly.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

Tennessee
As mentioned I would start with verifying your water pressure, a buddy of mine had one of those cheap camco reducers fail and it caused a leak at one of the plumbing elbows. My house toilets started eating flush valves for some reason and I developed several leaky faucets, turns out my house reducer had failed. Our water pressure is 100psi from the main.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would recommend you replace the faucet. Even the cheapest faucet at a hardware store is better than what they put in the RV. Did you happen to check your water pressure at the site? sometimes it can be a bit much and you need to put a damper on it. You can get one of the cheap ones at walmart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...UaAr0bEALw_wcB or you can get a nice one with a gauge on it..
https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press...27532630&psc=1

back to the faucet... they also hook up differently than a "normal" faucet so be careful about that. Good luck. At least you are getting some use out of your camper.
I should have mentioned that yes… I always use a pressure reducer valve thingy that reduces the pressure to 40 or 50 psi maximum.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
As mentioned I would start with verifying your water pressure, a buddy of mine had one of those cheap camco reducers fail and it caused a leak at one of the plumbing elbows. My house toilets started eating flush valves for some reason and I developed several leaky faucets, turns out my house reducer had failed. Our water pressure is 100psi from the main.
Oh gosh. Good to know. I did sort of “test” the pressure reducer thing at the site. Admittedly, it does not have a gauge. But I left it on when backflushing my black tank and the stream of water was weak. As soon as I took the PRV off the stream of water was strong again. So I am assuming it is working.

I suppose I could do some more testing with another pressure valve, a gauge, or even using my freshwater tank and the water pump to see if it leaks that way as well
Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #10

Tennessee
My paranoia of water leaks is at a 10, I carry a water pressure guage with me, even though my reducer has a guage on it
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
My paranoia of water leaks is at a 10, I carry a water pressure guage with me, even though my reducer has a guage on it
So how could you connect this is in line with your water system? Could you use a splitter/Y fitting and have the gauge on one side and the hose to your trailer on the other?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #12

Florida
I use a Y at the feed and use the pressure regulator to feed the RV and the second hose for washing, flushing, etc. It's on the NON regulated side. I have a couple of these guys since I use a water softener also..

https://www.amazon.com/Elekin-Connec.../dp/B0779VRPFH

attach the regulated side to one side and a standard hose to the second side. independent shut off's are great to have. THis way you don't have to disconnect anything to flush the black tank, etc. I also use a backflow preventer on the black tank flush on the hose side to prevent "stuff" from getting into my hose or the water supply..

https://www.amazon.com/American-Valv...91229674&psc=1
Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #13

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I use a Y at the feed and use the pressure regulator to feed the RV and the second hose for washing, flushing, etc. It's on the NON regulated side. I have a couple of these guys since I use a water softener also..

https://www.amazon.com/Elekin-Connec.../dp/B0779VRPFH

attach the regulated side to one side and a standard hose to the second side. independent shut off's are great to have. THis way you don't have to disconnect anything to flush the black tank, etc. I also use a backflow preventer on the black tank flush on the hose side to prevent "stuff" from getting into my hose or the water supply..

https://www.amazon.com/American-Valv...91229674&psc=1
Thanks. I was thinking of putting the pressure reducer upstream of the splitter. Then I could put the RV feed on one leg of the hose splitter, and the pressure gauge on the other leg of the splitter so I know what I am getting in the trailer. Does that work and make sense to anyone
Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
So how could you connect this is in line with your water system? Could you use a splitter/Y fitting and have the gauge on one side and the hose to your trailer on the other?
I don't keep that connected, I occasionally connect it to the city water hose end just to double check the reducer guage. I do use a 2 way Y splitter at the hydrant so I can use full line pressure to clean out my black tank with a hydroflush
Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #15

Alabama
Most sink control handles can be taken apart and cleaned. Usually you will find PEX shavings and other particles trapped in there. Especially new builds. Flush and reassemble. Trading household faucets for RV may require adapters usually available at DIY stores.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #16

Texas
As for getting work done: I took my RV back one time to my dealer for warranty work. Never have again. I google “Find nearest rv tech to me” and call. Some do warranty work. They usually fix the symptom (drip) and find the original problem (too much pressure, defective parts (warranty). A leaking seal most times are not warrantied, considered normal wear (even at 2 months).
Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #17

South Carolina
[QUOTE=

(2) If I choose to replace the fixture with something better, can I install ANY faucet in this, or does it have to be a "special" RV fixture? Any recommendations on a good faucet?[/QUOTE]

Ours leaked after just a couple of months. My wife wantedsomething a bit fancier. So we got this at AMAZON $79. It had good reviews.
Install was easy, But I did need some adapters from the Plumbing supply. And the hot/cold markings are backwards. Or maybe in china, blue and red have different meanings. So, if you care, reverse the connections. I don't care haha.

https://www.amazon.com/WEWE-Brushed-...s%2C161&sr=8-5

Good luck!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #18

Arizona
I took my faucet apart and found a small piece of pex caught in between the seal. removed i and no more leak.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #19

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Ours leaked after just a couple of months. My wife wantedsomething a bit fancier. So we got this at AMAZON $79. It had good reviews.
Install was easy, But I did need some adapters from the Plumbing supply. And the hot/cold markings are backwards. Or maybe in china, blue and red have different meanings. So, if you care, reverse the connections. I don't care haha.

https://www.amazon.com/WEWE-Brushed-...s%2C161&sr=8-5

Good luck!
I have been looking for something EXACTLY like this. I currently have two knobs and hate how much water I waste trying to find the 'right' temperature. ("Ow, burned myself ... then ... nope not hot enough to wash with") The single handle will allow for easier adjusting, the extended sprayer will let me put the water where I want it. The color is perfect and the price is lower than what I've found locally!

Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #20

Florida
That's the faucet I have but the CHEAP RV version which will be changed out on our next foray.